New here looking for advice

More
17 Jul 2016 18:34 #51795 by Irondog
New here looking for advice was created by Irondog
Hey everyone, new here and hope to gain some knowledge. From what I've read here experience, skills and knowledge are in abundance here on this site. I just purchased a v450D03 bnf and the devo 7e. I've owned number of ftf's but always wanted a decent one. Now that I have one I don't want to destroy it on my first flight. My first question is do I need to install deviation to the 7e to bind to the Rx 2703 ? I'm thinking simple to just start hover practice. I did purchase the upo2 kit to upgrade so I think I have what I need to upgrade and install the deviation ware and firmware to the receiver..... I hope anyway. If anybody could help I'd be forever grateful. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 08:45 #51817 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic New here looking for advice
Welcome aboard :)

First off - no you don't need Deviation to bind the 7e to a V450D03. The manual has all the settings in it you need to set up the transmitter to suit the D03.

You may however want to install Deviation if you want more - more protocols to fly more models.

The D03 is an awesome bird and will fly nicely for you.

More
18 Jul 2016 15:34 #51833 by Irondog
Replied by Irondog on topic New here looking for advice
Thank you so much for the info Z. It was a little overwhelming for me to see another for sale that described needing the upo2 kit. Then it snowballed on me noticing that one had an rx701 receiver instead of the rx2703. Do the settings differ any with with deviation ( more precise ) ? For more advanced pilots. One more question Z if I may. I haven't even opened the 7e box yet so with bnf heli's does it come all programmed with factory settings or is that something you do yourself according to your experience levels. I've never had a real nice transmitter before. Thank again Z.

More
18 Jul 2016 22:06 #51854 by Zaphod
No probs :)

If you decide to install Deviation then you could use the model file Tom Z has created - www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-configs/...ndard-settings#24572

This is the model I fly my D01 and D03 with. He also has beginner and 3D files for these birds.

The manual for the D03 has the tx settings for the 7e as well as other Devo tx in it so if the bird was BNF you can still set it up. My D03 was BNF as well so I just followed the manual (then I switched to Deviation). Setting up the tx from the manual is very easy tho - just follow it step by step and you'll be fine.

Is this your first CP bird? The D03 is usually setup correctly out of the box but you need to confirm this yourself before flying.

Cheers

More
18 Jul 2016 23:16 #51857 by Irondog
Yes, first CP. I've never had any issues flying other heli's though. But then again I never had one that consisted of this type and as much technology before. I'm very excited to say the least but somewhat overwhelmed at the same time. Always had ftf's that didn't cost alot. I can't wait.. lol. I did purchase the training legs just in case. Thanks again... truly!!!! Like to add that finding this site and all you pilots that take the time to reply to an inexperienced guy like myself is a blessing. Many many thanks

More
19 Jul 2016 00:49 #51860 by Zaphod
If you're anything like me the that very first spool up will be very intimidating! The sound and speed of the rotors will really wake you up.

You may find the training legs will make it a little unstable. I never used them but it wasn't my first CP either. It is by far my most stable bird tho.

Take a look at the V450D03 thread on RCG as well. Lots of info there that is probably more forum appropriate.

Most of all tho - enjoy!

More
20 Jul 2016 09:37 - 20 Jul 2016 09:41 #51917 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic New here looking for advice
Hi,

what are ftf's`? Fixed pitch (FP)??

450 heli as a first CP?
Never done mechanical and electronical setup or no heli expert which might look over?
Sorry mate, but you are going to crash, definitely! Probably within just a view seconds after take off...

Please don't rely on this BNF acronym. You need to do a proper mechanical setup first!!! Never worked, even not for Blades (HH) that well.

Devo7E with <10mw instead of 100mw (DSMx) on a 450er heli?
Have you already done the range mod? If not, please stop using the 7E with this 450CP!!!

This 7E is only meant for micro helis because of it's limited (hardware diode) range!!!

XciteRC (Walkera DE distributor) for example sells Devo 7 (not 7E, 7=Full-Range) with their F210 racer quad and Devo 10 (~10mw in EU) with their Furious 320.
Even if you are searching for MasterCP you will either be offered a Devo7 (Full-Range) or Devo10 (Full-Range).
Most pilots seem to even fly their MasterCP with >10mw (e.g 30mw) what I have read so far.

A good 1st CP heli is:
- SIM (even for the micros) for lots of days / weeks / month CP heli training
- 30g like Blade NanoCPX (1s)
- 45g Blade MCPX V2 (1s)
- Walkera heli equivalents in weight like MiniCP & Co.
- XK K110
- or a much heavier big heli (more stabile, not as agile as 450) which you learn on with teacher/learner cable TX mode

Be warned, especially on this "BNF" (take out, just fly) thing.

Thomas
Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 09:41 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
20 Jul 2016 10:46 #51920 by Irondog
Hi Thomas, rtf is what I meant to type. I hit the wrong key. I've seen alot of mistyped messages here but i generally have no problem understanding what that person means. Excuse me for asking but did you get up on the wrong side of the bed ? I've read hundreds of posts here and everybody is very understanding and eager to help. I'm honestly quite taken back by your quick ( negative ) response. I've done my homework and not sure why I'm going to explain to you why I want the 7e, but I will. I have flown many ( READY TO FLY ) helicopters over the years and also flown ( COLLECTIVE PITCH ) helicopters. However I have not owned a cp
( Collective Pitch ) heli as of yet. With the 7e I will be able to fly all or most of the helis I want. I'm not sure what you know or think about the 7e but from I've just learned it was a breeze to programmed ( oops, ) program. And I wanted the V450D03 to get some good practice on the 450 class. Do I have to have range to do this ? The answer is no. So here's an update, Oh I forgot to add that the V450 after much research was supposed to be very stable, steady and easier to handle than most, it's all set up and I've had it in the air twice. It hovers like nothing I've flown. Gentle, smooth, very manageable. So I apologise for peeing on your Wheaties Thomas but I'll sign off with one little piece of information that I was taught at a young age and it still rings true today. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Have a great day Thomas, Respectfully Jef

More
20 Jul 2016 12:12 - 20 Jul 2016 15:00 #51922 by Thomas.Heiss
Hello Jef,

Well, my posting is not to be understood impolite or any personal by you.
Maybe its just my "direct way" of dealing with things ("the hard facts") as of making suggestions or writing English as a non-native speaker myself...

I just read from the previous posts that you seemed not to be a heli expert ("CP beginner") so I just wanted to give you some views from my side (and of course from others as these CP beginner and 1st (CP) heli setup threads are created on German forums and HeliFreak on a daily basis) that you don't make any wrong decisions.
There are many e.g "heli first crashed on takeoff + rebuild" threads too.

My posting of course was NOT meant to offend your personally. If you got it wrong, sorry. You should not.

May I ask you what especially of my previous posting (what objective sentences) got you in that very bad mood (unintentional)? :-)
The 7E thing? To train SIM + fly micro CP helis before 450 takeoff? Come on... Just be a little bit more relaxed :-)
Well, this never has been a problem on any forum for me so far, even English speaking like HeliFreak. So probably I did today something very wrong?!?

As to negative feedback / saying something nice:
- if you are used to CP collective pitch helis & SIM flying just give it a go (however I did not read / understand that in that way from your postings before)

- as the Devo7E is known to have limited range (not full range) by Walkera HF hardware limitation I can not say something "nice" like "yes, go for it - just use it" (Devo 7E != Devo7 != Devo10)

- you better should be aware of this fact, read the related threads about "hardware diode range mod" or 3-in-1/4-in-1 HF modules

- do very detail proper range tests (e.g I only do ground + in-flight range tests with Spektrum telemetry FligthLog (TM1000) and checking Fades/FrameLosses/Holds with a genuine Spektrum receivers)

- I am personally using 100mw (not ~7mw) output power with Spektrum DSMx (FHSS) on Devo 10 even on 450 heli, so yes, night & day in transmitter (full range) range as well as protocol and FlightLog

Do I have to have range to do this ? The answer is no.

Sorry, I just don't get that. Maybe you can further explain why you think so?

Why don't you need at least some ("good") parkflyer range with a 450er heli (like parkflyer planes / quads) which is bigger, fast and where you can fly higher and more far away than with a very little micro heli?

Yes, Horizon / Blade used e.g Spektrum AR6115e half-range parkflyer receiver in their Blade 450 3D heli.
But the transmitter (e.g DX8) still was allowed to use 100mw on DSMx (or DSM2 before 2015 in EU) for at least full TX power output. Devo 10 does the same for me (100mw).

You may want to cross read about MasterCP & Devo7E threads (~7mw vs 10mw vs 30mw vs 100-150mw).

I just quick checked three dealers on the V450D03. RTF comes either bundled with Devo7 (not 7E) or Devo10, right??
Maybe you want to link any shop which sells the V450D03 with Devo7E (~7mw) as RTF?

Well, now it seems that you are a very experienced RC pilot from your new post.
Spektrum suggests in their manuals to do a ground range test (especially first time).
So this is then actually something very new to me that "you do not have to have range".
Are you talking about ground heli setup tests or are you talking about actually flying? I don't get it. I am talking about flying :-)

Now that I have one I don't want to destroy it on my first flight. If anybody could help I'd be forever grateful.

Well you asked this especially with this addition " that take the time to reply to an inexperienced guy like myself is a blessing".

I can now honestly say that I am just a little bit confused about the conflicting phrases. Sorry, I am not an English native speaker!

So I just tried to take time, explain you in an objective way my side on this Devo7E & heli topic that you hopefully don't do the wrong things in the wrong order and you don't end up as the others as in all the other forums I read about their heli experiences (crashes, failed 1st time mechnical / electronical setup).

From new forum users I of course expect that they do not know every thread either on the Walkera transmitter thing or heli stuff.

Have great day too, Jef.

Thomas
Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 15:00 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
20 Jul 2016 15:39 #51930 by Irondog
I'm sorry I replied the way I did but it just seemed to me that you jumped all over me in a very serious manner. I'm trying to get involved in a sport that I thought to be fun and interesting. I don't know half what you do and don't claim to. I am new to alot of this more advanced technology but that doesn't mean that I can't learn. Telling me I'm going to crash in your first sentence really made me feel awful. That's like telling someone who wants to play baseball really bad to go ahead up to bat but your just going to strike out. I'm not going to go back and forth with you here. You know more than I do, I have no argument there. You made me feel like crap, no argument there. Thank you for your warm welcome.

More
21 Jul 2016 00:33 #51940 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic New here looking for advice

Irondog wrote: Thank you for your warm welcome.

He's German ;)

A few things
- Thomas, the V450D03 BNF is a devo protocol bird, not DSMX. So Spektrum comparisons go out the window.

- I can't find a definitive range test of a 7E on with the devo protocol, but personally I never flew my helis more than about 50m away from me, which I should imagine would be perfectly within the range of an unmodified 7E?

- Irondog, I'd suggest disabling the motor and doing a full-power extensive range test (get a friend to help) to give you an idea of the maximum diameter of flying you shoudl be going to, until(?) you either do a range mod or replace the module with an 8S module (hard to find now). But you may find that it's perfectly fine for everything you currently want to fly?

- ditch the training legs, in my (limited) experience they caused more issues than they solved; catching a leg at the wrong angle would result in a pole-vault...

More
21 Jul 2016 00:42 #51941 by Zaphod
In my experience the D03 is much more stable than a MasterCP. I'd not bother with the training gear.

As it's your first bigger heli I would imagine that your initial flying will be for orientation more than sports flying at 200 meters away. In this scenario the 7e will be fine. I have flown my D03 with my father in law's 7e between 50-75 meters with no problems at all. Do a range check as well as a full setup check on the heli itself.

My D03, from the factory with factory settings translated to my Devo 10 is by far my most stable heli. I prefer it to my MasterCP by a long way. The MasterCP I've dialed the settings back so it's much more agile.

More
21 Jul 2016 09:46 - 21 Jul 2016 09:56 #51956 by Thomas.Heiss

RoGuE_StreaK wrote:
A few things
- Thomas, the V450D03 BNF is a devo protocol bird, not DSMX. So Spektrum comparisons go out the window.

Yes, I know. Internal FBL Walkera receiver (I do not fly any besides trying to sell a MasterCP receiver within Germany).

As you guys luckily do not live in EU/DE you do not care very much about ETSI compliance anyways, so most of you just use DeviationTX and set output power either to 30mw or even 100mw (if not 10mw), either for older DSM2 (forbidden since 2015) and also for Walkera DEVO protocol (3 channel DSSS, not FHSS) :-)

EU/DE Walkera dealers e.g can only sell a Walkera transmitter with the 10mw (locked) B-firmware version, and not 100mw A-firmware version because of these EU restrictions.

So you could IMHO actually compare DEVO protocol 100mw output power (A-firmware or DeviationTX, 7E hardware diode mod, etc.) to Spektrum DSMx (FHSS) 100mw output power very well :-)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 09:56 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
21 Jul 2016 16:51 - 21 Jul 2016 16:56 #51960 by Thomas.Heiss
I want to add something funny about 450er CP heli hovering and range.

After upgrading to Blade 450 3D after my Blade 120 SR FP and lot's of SIM training I just entered Blade manual mixing values for cyclic and collective pitch.
My dealer did a first mechanical / electrical setup and hovering check up including gyro gains.

I can remember my first lipos and just hover flights very well.
No, it did not crash (not on hovering) because of SIM training (120SR made it IMHO even worse for turning throttle stick down).

But for range:
The 450 was that agile (even on dailing DualRate/Expo down) that it had flown way over the whole green in all four directions.
I simply could not manage for first flights to hover it very near me in place. Almost could not see the heli anymore that far away.

So my recommendation according to my experience:
Do not think about that you are really safe when you just want to hover.
There is no guarantee that you manage to hold the 450 heli at its place or near distance (generally spoken, not person related).
If it "flys away" (if you let do it by failing to steering the sticks fast) you will have a hard time to see this small 450 heli chassis.
So, even hovering needs a lot of practice and properly setup calm pitch degree for cyclic and collective (that the heli won't act very much that agile).

Of course if you are very experienced with other RTF micro (CP) helis before it may work much better for you.
Was not the case for me years ago on my very first spool ups.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 16:56 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
22 Jul 2016 14:04 #51993 by Irondog
I must admit that I put one in the tree tops a few years ago and it wasn't a cp lol. Thankfully it was an inexpensive one. I thought I was just going to fire it up and fly around care free.. wrong !!!! It didn't take much wind either. I turned it at me , gave it full throttle to get it back to me and stood there in amazement as it continued on backwards higher and higher until it disappeared into the treetops. Zaphod hit the nail on the head when he mentioned my purpose. Its solely orientation and ( very close range ) practice. Thomas I understand that my choice in equipment maybe more advanced than needed but the v450do3 is something I've wanted for a long time and wanted to get it before it becomes unavailable. Anyway I understand I have alot to learn and will more than likely make mistakes along the way. I envy you all here to know what you know and do what you do. I'd love nothing more than to be able to just go out and set that heli on the ground, grab the transmitter, spool it up and take off without thinking about it. All your help here is greatly appreciated. Respectfully Jeff

More
22 Jul 2016 14:52 - 22 Jul 2016 14:53 #52001 by Thomas.Heiss
Hi Jeff,

so, how far did you come last days?

TX model programmed?

Did you check mechnical setup
- servo 90 degree subtrim
- swashplate level (3 links from servos to swashplate)
- zero pitch at main blades (2x second link from swashplate to head) + pitch channel subtrim in TX model
- max rudder travel left and right
- some FBL poti tuning like roll rates, head gains, max head travel
etc. etc.

Like everything from heli setup which is would be not enough for 1st hover to just download a DeviationTX model.ini and go flying...

Too bad I can not give insider tips on this Walkera V450D03 model and gyro pots from experience...
Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 14:53 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
23 Jul 2016 04:02 #52041 by Irondog
Hello Thomas, I sat down here tonight to respond. I've written three different messages and all three times it replies (error) it's late here so I will sit back down tomorrow. Jeff

More
24 Jul 2016 08:21 #52072 by Irondog
Anyone here know what the ( illegal mix of collation) messages are all about? The last 4 messages I've written were denied due to that and I didn't write anything at all inappropriate. I've never seen this before.

More
24 Jul 2016 08:36 #52075 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic New here looking for advice
I've never seen such messages.
If it happens again, try to PM that post and message to me...

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds