Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10

More
18 Aug 2016 13:27 #52872 by suzygs1000
Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10 was created by suzygs1000
Hi, I have been trying to set up a delta wing using v5.0 on a devo 10. I have found plenty of tutorials and guides, but they don't seem to line up with v5.0. For instance, there are many instructions to assign channels, but I can't see how to do this on v5.0, as the channels seem to be assigned automatically. For instance, I cannot mix ch 2 with ELE as the source, there does not appear to be anyway to do it, it is just ch2 AIL. Are there any tutorials on using v5.0? Maybe it would be easier to rebuild with v4.0, as this seems to be what most of the tutorials are aimed at. slowly going that mad that I have purchased a new Devo 7 just to that I can keep flying while I sort out Deviationtx.

thanks in advance, Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2016 23:32 #52887 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10
Dave, AFAIK there have been no major layout changes between v4 and v5, so no need to "downgrade".
I think from your description that what you are seeing is simply the channel "names", which correspond to the typical default association for the protocol selected, but you can select any damn source you want for any channel in deviation, hell you can get it to overwrite the primary source at the flick of a switch or ten.
Do you have an example tutorial you are having trouble following, so we can just clarify points rather than rewriting a whole set of instructions?

More
19 Aug 2016 12:30 #52896 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10
Mix AIL with ELEV? Pardon?

On the left side are the output channels.
On the right side are the input channels / sticks or mixers.

You get something completely wrong here if you try to mix output channels with output channels.
You can NOT do a channel arrange of the left output channels.
Leave where ELEV and AIL are.

"AIL stick" or "ELEV stick" (input) is something different as AIL/ELEV output channel!!!

I do not have a model.ini or template.ini at hand, but if you found one just download it and try to understand the mixers
input AIL-> ELEV + AIL output channels
input ELEV -> ELEV + AIL output channels

As Release 5.0 is based on 4.0.1-nightly-builds there should be no differences, as pointed already out in two+ threads.
I was flying StrykerQ delta on a 4.0.1-nightly-build.

However I have to agree that a delta/aileron model type may not be the easiest to understand what you have to do in mixers.

Just stick to the old tutorials. They even worked on 4.0.1-nightly-builds so will do on release 5.0.

Thomas

More
20 Aug 2016 04:39 #52921 by suzygs1000
Replied by suzygs1000 on topic Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10
Thanks for the reply rogue ... as you probably realise, I am pretty confused, and the worst part is, that there do not seem to be any copies of the original Devo 10 firmware available to go back to the original transmitter. I have just purchased a new Devo 7 so that I can keep flying while I try to work this out. I am 71, and not functioning as well as I used to. I have got two planes flying at the moment using Deviation, both on simple 4 channel template. I am at a loss here, as one of the planes is using separate channels for the two ailerons, yet seem to be working ok on the simple 4 channel template. I cannot see how, as I am using 5 channels on the receiver, anyway, I flew it this morning, and it was fine. I can use the simple configuration ok now, and this will suffice. While I was trying to get a delta wing working, I actually had both aileron and elevators working in the correct direction, but one side on the elevator only seemed to be either full up, or full down. It was like a switch using the stick, but I couldn't see what could be causing this. Anyway, I think it is a good thing that I can no longer go back to the original firmware, as the challenge of sorting Deviation out intrigues me, and I will be still able to fly using the Devo 7, which I will not be upgrading. Another problem I have is that I have put two models into deviation, and these are all that appear when I hit the 'load' button ... it does not show model3, model4 etc, so I can't see how to put up any more models. This has probably come about from my continual stuffing around with something I know little about, and I may just rebuild, but I have done that once, and the two models I have made keep coming up on the new builds. I also cannot figure out how to load new templates. I have tried with the transmitter tied to the computer, but I can't get 'copy' to come up on the template folder when I right click on the mouse. I would appreciate a short rundown on how to load more templates into Deviation ... when I google it, it only comes up with loading templates into the transmitter. thanks Dave.

More
20 Aug 2016 04:40 #52922 by suzygs1000
Thanks for the reply, Tom .. please read my reply to Rogue .. I will sort this out ...thanks again Dave.

More
20 Aug 2016 22:26 #52950 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10
Hi Dave, sorry I don't have spare time at the moment might get around to a proper reply when I'm free... you know, like at work :P
In the meantime, try searching for an "elevon" model here, but to search use google instead of the built-in search as it sucks (known issue). Just google for example "deviationtx elevon model"
Sorry gotta go, kids to chase after

More
21 Aug 2016 10:14 #52971 by Thomas.Heiss
Hi Dave,

I can tell you that the Spektrum DX8G2/DX9 Airware firmware screens are very easy to handle.
Intuitive - even without a manual.

There are real standard / selection screens just like in the standard heli mixer GUI (which has very much in common with DX8G1 Airware heli GUI).

I am not sure if Devo or Deviation is the right thing for you if you are not an expert (IT) programmer or you are keen to test / try out.
But the same applies to free mixer programming like FrSky Taranis / OpenTX firmware.
But they have a) Companion for computer and b) LUA script model wizzard on transmitter

More
21 Aug 2016 10:36 - 21 Aug 2016 10:37 #52972 by Thomas.Heiss

suzygs1000 wrote: the worst part is, that there do not seem to be any copies of the original Devo 10 firmware available to go back to the original transmitter.

walkera-fans.de/download/sender/Devo_10/....8A%20und%200.8B.zip

But don't do it - don't give up!

suzygs1000 wrote: I have got two planes flying at the moment using Deviation, both on simple 4 channel template. I am at a loss here, as one of the planes is using separate channels for the two ailerons, yet seem to be working ok on the simple 4 channel template. I cannot see how, as I am using 5 channels on the receiver, anyway, I flew it this morning, and it was fine. I can use the simple configuration ok now, and this will suffice.

Elevon/Delta Howto links:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...t-up-for-delta-wings
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-delta-wing-question

I found once templates for two ailerons and aileron differential on the forum.

Well, basically for 2xAIL you just setup 2 mixes.
One controls from AIL input (stick) the AIL (output) channel (left stick, right stick).
The other mix controls from AIL input (stick) e.g the AUX1 (Spektrum DSM) output channel (other side of wing) in the OPPOSITE direction.

If you need aileron differential there are more things to do. I would check the existing template. Have not used it myself yet.

Just use google "site:deviationtx.com template" or check the Wiki (I checked, did not find :-)).
www.deviationtx.com/wiki/model_config

www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-templates
includes: Elevon / Delta

suzygs1000 wrote: and I will be still able to fly using the Devo 7, which I will not be upgrading.

You can't. No USB port. Not Deviation supported. Or do you mean 7E?
But there seems to be a PC model editor for the Devo7 and the Walkera adapter. Found it on walkera-fans.de and rcgroups.com.

suzygs1000 wrote: Another problem I have is that I have put two models into deviation, and these are all that appear when I hit the 'load' button ... it does not show model3, model4 etc, so I can't see how to put up any more models.

Hit ENT when you power on the Devo10.
This will bring it to USB mode.

There need to be model1 to model30.ini in the models directory.
If there is no model3.ini, model4.ini, it won't be shown in the load screen.

suzygs1000 wrote: I also cannot figure out how to load new templates. I have tried with the transmitter tied to the computer, but I can't get 'copy' to come up on the template folder when I right click on the mouse.

In Deviation you can load templates by switching from load -> template by hitting the right buttons.

To copy a template.ini to the templates directory in USB mode (ENT button on power on) you can do a copy&paste as well as.
Just select the file and choose copy.
Go INTO the TX template directory (2nd window), right click on white empty space (not on files) and choose paste from context screen.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2016 10:37 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
24 Aug 2016 07:25 #53064 by suzygs1000
Thanks for all the help ..(1) I have worked out how to add templates to the templates file, after I read that I needed notepad**.
(2) I have worked out how to set up a delta, and it works fine.

I struck problems with a third mix to the aileron. This Madbird will not turn on the aileron, and needs full rudder with tthe aileron to turn. I tried to add a third mix to the aileron mix. This did not add the rudder to the Mad Bird
instead it added left up elevon to the rudder.

The elevons are working fine, but why did this page three on channel 2 not add rudder to the aileron?

I can't see how to upload the ini file here so i have copied and pasted it. Maybe someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

slightly less confused, regards David.

ad Bird
mixermode=Advanced
type=plane
[radio]
protocol=DEVO
num_channels=8
fixed_id=285568
tx_power=150mW

[protocol_opts]
Telemetry=On

[channel1]
subtrim=25
scalar-=100
template=complex
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch1
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=60,60
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch1
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=60,60

[channel2]
subtrim=-281
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
scalar=60
curvetype=expo
points=60,60
[mixer]
src=!ELE
dest=Ch2
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=60,60
[mixer]
src=!RUD
dest=Ch2
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=0,0

[channel3]
safetysw=RUD DR1
safetyval=-150
template=simple
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

[channel4]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
scalar=74

[trim1]
src=LEFT_V
pos=TRIMLV+
neg=TRIMLV-
[trim2]
src=RIGHT_V
pos=TRIMRV+
neg=TRIMRV-
step=10
value=-2,0,0
[trim3]
src=LEFT_H
pos=TRIMLH+
neg=TRIMLH-
step=2
value=73,0,0
[trim4]
src=RIGHT_H
pos=TRIMRH+
neg=TRIMRH-
step=10
value=9,0,0
[timer2]
type=countdown
time=10
[datalog]
switch=None
rate=1 sec
[safety]
Auto=min
[gui-128x64]
V-trim=59,10,1
H-trim=5,59,3
V-trim=65,10,2
H-trim=74,59,4
Small-box=2,22,Ch3
Small-box=2,31,Timer1
Small-box=2,39,Timer2
Model=75,20
Battery=102,1
Toggle=4,10,0,3,0,RUD DR
Toggle=13,10,0,5,0,ELE DR
Toggle=22,10,0,4,0,AIL DR
Toggle=31,10,0,0,0,None
Toggle=40,10,0,0,0,None
TxPower=102,7
quickpage1=Telemetry monitor

More
24 Aug 2016 08:23 - 24 Aug 2016 08:34 #53068 by Thomas.Heiss

suzygs1000 wrote: I have worked out how to add templates to the templates file, after I read that I needed notepad**.
(2) I have worked out how to set up a delta, and it works fine.

Congratulations!

You either can use notepad++ which does not corrupt newlines (vi, Linux style) - not sure what I used myself. I may have tried notepad or wordpad...not sure right now...but I had not notepad++ at hand. A windows editor must not add additional weird newline stuff...

But editing templates?
You just copy the template.ini file to the templates directory - done.
Then you go to the model and instead of "load" you select the "template" button, which creates an empty model from the selected template.

suzygs1000 wrote: I struck problems with a third mix to the aileron

Personally I would just manually fly it including rudder stick.

But if you also like to control the rudder (output) channel by the AIL stick, your 3rd page mixer concept is wrong.

You apply mixers either to output channels or virtual channels.
So your 3rd complex mixer page is actually applied with "ADD" to the selected output channel, channel2 in your case.

Therefore you would have to move your 3rd page as 2nd page to the channel4 complex mixer.
As input you would select src=AIL stick.

So src=AIL stick would control either the aileron/elevons + rudder.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 08:34 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
25 Aug 2016 05:05 - 25 Aug 2016 05:06 #53083 by suzygs1000
Ok, thanks,Tom, so, if I am reading you correctly, I need to delete page 3 on the Ail mixer, and put a mixer on ch4 rudder, with source of aileron? I will try this whilst awaiting your reply.

thanks Dave.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 05:06 by suzygs1000.

More
25 Aug 2016 06:00 #53085 by suzygs1000
HI, TOM,

Ok, it is now sorted. I took off page three from the Aileron mixer, put up a mixer on ch4 rudder with src of Ail and mux replace, same expo and range, an it is now working perfectly. Thanks everyone for your help. Now had Deviation for a week or so, and feel I have wasted $70 buying a new Devo 7. Now, does anyone use Deviation for 4 channel Choppers, of which I have a few? I'm guessing you would just need to use 4 ch aeroplane?

thanks again, Dave.

More
25 Aug 2016 10:45 - 25 Aug 2016 10:46 #53091 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Delta mix for v5.0 on devo 10
Yup, airplane will work fine, but I'd use multi for a four channel copter. Just because they are all copters of some sort.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 10:46 by mwm.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds