Questions about rf chips

More
13 Jan 2017 06:28 #57874 by FlighlessBird16
Questions about rf chips was created by FlighlessBird16
I am very fascinated by 2.4ghz technology and I have a few questions about how they work
Different transmitters have different numbers of chanels, but by what I understand, the rf chip sends out a digital signal. So do manufacturers limit the number of channels based on the model?
Since different brands of transmitters use different chips, is the encryption (dsss, and or fhss) programed in the chip or is the microprocessors in the transmitter giving the pn code?
Thank you :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2017 08:56 #57876 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Questions about rf chips

FlighlessBird16 wrote: 1. Different transmitters have different numbers of chanels, but by what I understand, the rf chip sends out a digital signal. So do manufacturers limit the number of channels based on the model?

Yes.
With firmware like deviation, there is absolutely no link between the number of pysical inputs a TX has and the number of channels, whereas in the (fairly distant) past each input was physically linked to a channel.
Major limit now is how many channels you can fit into a set period of time, depending on the protocol and the way it is encoded; eg. I believe deviation hits the limit with 12 channels on DSM2/X(?)

FlighlessBird16 wrote: 2. Since different brands of transmitters use different chips, is the encryption (dsss, and or fhss) programed in the chip or is the microprocessors in the transmitter giving the pn code?

There seem to typically only be 4 main types of chip used, as ,ong as the receiver uses a compatable receiving chip then it's the MCU that controls the protocol, and the receiver must be able to decode this. Hence why deviation can have so many protocols available with very few physical chips installed (eg. the vast majority of chinese "toy" quads use the NRF24L chip, with any number of protocols needed to be deciphered)

More
13 Jan 2017 18:41 #57902 by FlighlessBird16
Replied by FlighlessBird16 on topic Questions about rf chips
Wow! :woohoo: very neat, thanks

Time to create page: 0.026 seconds