Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...

More
02 Nov 2017 21:29 - 03 Nov 2017 01:21 #65445 by jakerock
Hi all, I have been struggling to get going with the NRF24L01 mod.

I am not the best solderer, but I did check all connections with a multimeter after soldering as per the HacksMods pinout guide:
www.hacksmods.com/2013/05/nrf24l01-devo7e-pinout/

Used a magnifying glass to check for bridged connections, etc..

I install deviation v5,
Delete all folders and files on the TX
copy over the directories from the Deviation 5 zip
open hardware.ini, remove the 2 semicolons, change "A14" to "A13"
restart devo 7e....

"Missing Modules: CRYF6936" messages appears, I hit ENT to proceed

Under model setup, many more protocols are listed than in 4.0.1...

BUT... ALL HAVE ASTERISKS NOW... Including Devo, DSMX and DSM2, etc...

If I roll back to 4.0.1 with an unedited TX.txt I get back Devo, DSMX and DSM2, etc

I deeply appreciate your time and any insight.
Thank you, Jake
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 01:21 by jakerock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2017 20:33 #65473 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...
The code for checking installed modules is improved in 5.0 over 4.0.1. If the 5.0 version has asterisks in front of all the protocols it means it can't talk to any module. This is a strong indication of some problem on the SPI bus, implying there's something not right about the nRF connections.

Recommend working with the 5.0 firmware. I would probably remove the nRF and make sure the CYRF module still works (no missing module report and Devo protocol doesn't have asterisk). Then start reconnecting the nRF, powering on at each step to make sure the CYRF is still communicating. You could also go the other direction, disconnecting the nRF wires one at a time till the problem disappears.

Post a picture of the installation. It's possible someone could spot what's wrong.

More
04 Nov 2017 16:48 #65505 by jakerock
Replied by jakerock on topic Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...
Definitely appreciate the input!

I have unsoldered everything for the 2nd time, and will try to confirm that I didnt damage anything in my attempts.
So....If I ever try again I will use Deviation 5.0 and hook one wire up at a time...

If I understand you correctly I should power up the devo after each new connection and make sure that the "stock protocols" (DEVO, DSM2, etc) still present in the menu without asterisk.
For now I am going to try and confirm that I didnt fry anything in the process.

Thanks very much Hexfet.

More
08 Nov 2017 19:09 - 08 Nov 2017 19:10 #65641 by jakerock
Replied by jakerock on topic Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...

Well...
Since 5.0 firmware gives "Missing Module CYRF6936" message when booting and shows asterisks next to all protocols, I roll back to 4.0.1.
Normal protocols available again... I have one DSM2 receiver on my QY90 which was working great before I tried to mod.
Successfully bound to DSM2, betaflight setup, quad arms and flies but now loses bind constantly at very close range.

Tried to set up as simulator input, which was also successful before the modding and the devo is sending really jerky weird outputs to the game.

I am frustrated and embarrassed, but I think I have fried this poor thing.
Probably bridged one of those pins with sloppy soldering or got something too hot.
I wish I could fix it, but if I cant even get these modules installed I am likely out of my league.

I just ordered a Flysky I6 and multimodule.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 19:10 by jakerock.

More
24 Nov 2017 07:03 - 24 Nov 2017 07:44 #66116 by Danker16
Replied by Danker16 on topic Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...
when i installed my CC2500 module, i followed the guide to edit the hardware ini file to remove the ; to enable the module i did that and i got the mississing module loop, i changed the value from 14 to 13 and it works perfect. at first i thought my wiring was wrong so i tripled checked everything... maybe you are having the same problem i did.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 07:44 by Danker16.

More
29 Dec 2017 05:47 #66635 by HPK
Hey - i have the exact same problem as you too the "T".
I consider my soldering skills pretty good and I've triple checked i don't have any bridged pads or overheated the board.
I am convinced the V5 firmware is corrupt in some way, i get the exact same CYRF6936 missing Module.

When using the V4 firmware all works perfectly.

More
01 Jan 2018 21:53 #66666 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Noob Struggling with the NRF24L01 mod...
Maybe you could try to give a full format to your devo, then reinstal all the filesystem.
I can remember I have had some unexpected strange behaviour and at th time this solved it. Maybe caused by not closing correctly the usb or saving the file before disconnect anyway worth a try.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds