HITEC IRM8

More
20 Oct 2018 09:22 - 20 Oct 2018 17:07 #71442 by ClaudeL
HITEC IRM8 was created by ClaudeL
Hi team

When I ordered this plane I did not realize that Deviation may not be compatible with it.
www.ares-rc.com/fokkerDVII/

I'm using a IR8M transmitter and I want to use it with a HITEC RED BNF micro airplane.
For so far as I can see with my IR8M module "4 IN 1" CYRF6936, CC2500, NRF2401, A7105, including CC2500. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...Receiver-Free-Review

In the manuals, I see the protocol Hitec.
www.deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo10-....html#protocol-hitec

I have seen that some people have have done some successful tests.

-Do I need to install additional HW (cc2500) in my IR8M in order to support AFHSS HITEC protocol, so far as I can see in my IR8M the CC2500 is already included ?
-So I have to use a Night Build, can I use the latest one ?
-Any specific recommendations or advise ?

Thanks

Claude
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 17:07 by ClaudeL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 22:11 #71443 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic HITEC IRM8
No extra hardware needed.
Use the latest nightly build.
Click on the protocol name for protocol options. Don't know if RED is Optima or Minima. Adjust Freq-Fine if you have trouble binding.

More
21 Oct 2018 16:57 #71448 by ClaudeL
Replied by ClaudeL on topic HITEC IRM8
Hi hexfet,

Thanks for your help

I did a test with this night build (deviation-ir8m-v5.0.0-b08efa8.dfu) but it does not work either for HITEC and for any DSM receivers I have.

I had to reverse back to deviation-ir8m-v5.x.x-2018-05-14.dfu in order to get my DSM receivers working again.

Anyone aware of problems with the latest night build ?
Any other suggestions ?

Claude

More
21 Oct 2018 19:47 #71450 by hexfet
By the version number it looks like the build you are running is based on 5.0. When changing to a nightly build a full install is required (copy the filesystem after upgrading dfu). Backup/restore your models, and edit the new tx.ini and hardware.ini as required.

More
22 Oct 2018 18:35 #71469 by ClaudeL
Here is the status.

Now I did an upgrade procedure using this files 1399-2018-10-21.zip containing this DFU version deviation-ir8m-v5.0.0-b08efa8.dfu.

With this night build I'm able to bind a DSM receiver, so my upgrade procedure was wrong.

However it still not working for my HITEC RED receiver.

I tried Minima and Optima with with 4 and 8 channels and different Freq-Fine 0,30,60,90,110.

could someone help me to define:
- HITEC RED receiver is Optima or Minima mode ?
- How can I know the number of channel to use for my receiver in my model, I do not have access to the receiver?
- How to determine the best value of Freq-Fine ?

Without this information I try and error multiple values ... it can takes ages.

Thanks for all your advices so far.

Claude
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2018 19:17 #71470 by hexfet
Can you confirm the protocol name on the model setup page does not have an asterisk next to it? Just want to be sure configuration is correct.

Not sure about the RED designation - I don't have any Hitec hardware. Maybe it's a different protocol variant. Not sure about number of channels, but don't think that should matter for binding.

Cut and try is the way to find the best Freq-Fine. Find the high and low limits for binding, then set to a value in the middle.

More
22 Oct 2018 20:19 #71473 by ClaudeL
Hi

I confirm that the protocol name is HITEC without any asterisk.

I found the user manual www.ares-rc.com/fokkerDVII/Fokker%20D.VII%20PTF%20Manual.pdf it says

Pair your chosen Hitec air transmitter to the Fokker D.VII’s 3-in-1 control unit. Start by following the pair / binding instructions supplied with your Hitec air transmitter making sure to select the Minima receiver option when prompted.

So it is definitively Minima.

I'll test once more.

Claude

More
23 Oct 2018 06:46 #71476 by ClaudeL
Hi team,

This is the status of my tests.

I tried once more with protocol=Hitec, Format=MINIMA because by now I found in the plane manual that HITEC minima is the protocol to select.

However it does not work !

I do not have any clue of how to debug my problem, I just did try and error test with different values.

I guess the following
Fixed_id should not be a problem
num_channels may create a problem so I tested with 3,4,5
Freq-Fine I tested with multiple as well, however I'm not sure if this parameter plays a role for the bind or only during servo movements.
tx_power should not be a problem for binding a model 30 cm far from the transmitter
Channel assignment, I'm not sure if this may cause a problem, I did several tests with on of the 4 channels either on 0 or 100, because I guess THR should be zero to sync.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is a copy of my last model.ini file

name=FOKKER
mixermode=Advanced
icon=PLANE.BMP
type=plane
[radio]
protocol=Hitec
num_channels=5
fixed_id=123456
tx_power=30mW

[protocol_opts]
Format=MINIMA
Freq-Fine=64

[channel1]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch1
curvetype=expo
points=0,0

[channel2]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
curvetype=expo
points=0,0

[channel3]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

[channel4]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
curvetype=expo
points=0,0

More
23 Oct 2018 17:06 #71478 by hexfet
Do you have a Hitec transmitter to verify that there's no problem with the plane?
If you haven't tried negative values for Freq-Fine, try that too.
Maybe try an even lower power setting in case the receiver is being swamped though that seems unlikely.

As you mention other users have reported success with the Minima protocol, though that doesn't completely rule out a code issue.
The number of channels and channel values doesn't matter for binding.

More
24 Oct 2018 11:13 #71482 by ClaudeL
Hi

Unfortunately I do not have a Hitec transitter to check that my new airplane is working and nobody around me does have one, Hitec is not popular in europe.

I tried 10mW and negative Free-Fine.

I'm using Mode 1 so I tried to reverse THR or set ELE to full or Zero during the binding, actually I do not know if Throttle on 0 is a prerequisite for binding.

Any other suggestions for troubleshooting are welcome.

Claude

More
24 Oct 2018 23:18 #71485 by Suter
Replied by Suter on topic HITEC IRM8
Good Day Claude,

I am using a Jumper T8 but I think the methodology is the same.

I have successfully bound a few models all with different RX's which I was and also still do use with a Hitec transmitter.

All RX's have their differences and little quirks it seems no brand of RX is the same to bind but I had to persevere until I achieved it.

Unfortunately I have not made notes on each individual RX, but I will try to remember what I did.

For information if any one else is seeking advice the RX's that I have bound with my Jumper are Hitec Minima (genuine) and Optima (genuine), The Hobbyking 2.4gb A-FHSS Hitec minima compatible, and Delta 8. and other non Hitec RX's. I have been successful binding the Delta 8 to Hitec and also Frsky

In the end I did not have to try any tuning changes with any of them, however I did go through all of that tuning advice by trying all the tuning changes while trying to make mine bind all with no bind success.

As a first step:-

I do remember that I did have to remove the fixed id (model match) to none to make it work.
I notice you have the ID set as the standard 123456. Change this by selecting none, and after the bind change it back to what you want.

It hit me all at once when I realized I was sending the RX a bind code when it did not have one in it. Once I realized this and changed it to none I had success

Some other quirks, were, trying to combine the RX power connection while turning on the TX bind. I found an on/ off switch in the line to RX to be a big help.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

More
24 Oct 2018 23:19 #71486 by Suter
I don't think Throttle or any other channel effects the bind.

More
24 Oct 2018 23:21 #71487 by Suter
I would now also change your frequency fine back to zero 0

More
25 Oct 2018 05:22 #71488 by Suter
Claude I had some time so decided to bind a hitec RX and makes notes for you.

Remember that I am using the Jumper T8sg v2 so it could be slightly different.

The Minima I used was the Hobbyking 2.4gb A-FHSS Hitec minima compatible.

And I think I may have discovered where your mistake was. It looks to me like at steps 6 and 7.

Steps
1. Power up TX
2. Model menu
3. Model set up
4. Down to Protocol is in left box, Bind is in right box
5. Thumb through left box to get Hitec .
6. Press enter to get to Format. If it shows optima, right key to select minima.
7. Freq fine tune is 0

I think this is where your error is made. To keep Minima in the format box I had to switch off the TX while in this box. This saves it in this box.
If you back out and then go back in without saving you will notice that it has reverted back to Optima.

8. Switch off TX to save the Minima setting
9. Power up the TX again
10. Proceed through items above from no 2 to no 5 then right arrow and sit on the Bind box ready to press enter to activate the Bind.

RX

As mentioned earlier it is easier to have a power switch on the RX as holding in the bind button while inserting the battery can be difficult.

1. Press and hold the RX bind button while powering up the RX

The Green light flashes slowly as RX searches for signal

2. Press enter on TX bind button.
3. RX led should flash green rapidly on successful link.
4. This should only take a couple of seconds and is usually instant.
5. Power down RX.
6. Power up RX .You should be bound and ready to go.

It is often a very small undocumented step which can make the difference between success or not.
Cheers
Wil

More
25 Oct 2018 06:59 - 25 Oct 2018 06:59 #71489 by ClaudeL
Hi Wil and team

Thanks Wil this is great, really appreciated that you did this test for me.

I'm using a IR8M and Minima is correctly saved, however I did the procedure exactly like you described again without any success.
There is no Bind on the HITEC receiver and the procedure described in the plane user manual just says that the binding is automatic ..

My receiver LED always rapidly blinks red even if my transceiver is off.

I see multiple possible problem:

-My plane is new but does not bind with a transmitter
-Code is not working with IR8M

Claude
Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 06:59 by ClaudeL.

More
25 Oct 2018 23:23 #71490 by Suter
Claude ,

I have read the manual linked in your post 71473.

It appears in that manual that the RX is not an actual RX but a complete mini 3 in 1 control unit which includes RX, 2x Servos and ESC.
This is entirely different to what I answered with in my reply no. 71488.

I gave you the binding notes for an RX named a Hitec Minima which uses the Minima protocol using a bind button on the RX.

You said that you followed my instructions completely.

Does your circuit board Rx have a bind button?

Did you use the Bind Button?

I ask this as in the instructions it does not mention this and it looks like it pairs with the Hitec signal it finds without a bind button.
Or is there a bind button inserted in the circuit board.
Some of these miniature boards do have the button on them?

It mentions to pull the Throttle stick back when commencing the bind, I think this would be only to arm the ESC, nothing to do with the bind.

Without a bind button on the RX, I would try the following and see if this works.

1. Set TX In bind mode as per my instructions TX 1 to 10, but now press Bind.

2. Quickly power up the RX so that the bind time does not elapse before you have the RX powered.
3. Close down RX then TX,
4. Then Reboot TX then RX

If this does not work I have no more suggestions as these new light weight all in one circuit boards could be especially designed only for matched equipment.

However, I would purchase an Hitec RX to test independently.

Cheers
Wil

More
03 Nov 2018 08:50 - 05 Nov 2018 18:28 #71528 by ClaudeL
Hi team,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, really appreciated.

I'll purchase a Hitec transmitter and update this post with the results.

Claude
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 18:28 by ClaudeL.

More
10 Dec 2018 20:12 #72042 by ClaudeL
Hi team,

Final feedback with my HITEC RED Transmitter, It works fine with the original Hitec RED transmitter, it means the receiver is ok.

I did another try to bind but without any success for this Ares-RC.

Claude

More
18 May 2020 09:38 #76330 by Birdman
Replied by Birdman on topic HITEC IRM8
Came by this thread due to having same issue. There are reports that these rx work with the Diy multiprotocol module. Anyone out there with the time and inclination that would be kind enough to look into this please?

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds