DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)

More
13 Jul 2019 09:08 #74740 by yoodog
DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM) was created by yoodog
Hey :)
Any one has info if we can run Crossfire on Devo 8s (ready to cut plastic and make it fit), but ppm out is not an option - delay is to much after conventional 2.4ghz racing.... Otherwise, any solution for long rage TX and RX with SBUS and RSSI for Devo as an exchange module? (no need to be multi)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2019 09:11 #74741 by yoodog
Replied by yoodog on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
My thinking is that Jumper is able to accept CRSF, so DEVIATION has it supported (and my reading on this forum seems to confirm it), but I'm yet to find any one post instruction on how to wire in Crossfire TX pins to DEVO series (there is a manual for Jumper, but it aint so simple for DEVO)

More
27 Aug 2019 23:29 #75036 by yoodog
Replied by yoodog on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
upp :D

More
16 Oct 2019 06:59 #75265 by fredskidoo
Replied by fredskidoo on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
Hexfet...

More
19 Oct 2019 00:44 #75284 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
The trainer port TX pin is where the CRSF signal (and SBUS) appear. For CRSF just connect that to the CRSF pin on your Crossfire, plus power and ground. I don't have an 8S so can't advise on the best places to connect.

The other long-range options are Frsky R9 or openLRS with SBUS.

More
13 Jan 2020 15:14 #75703 by ethr
Replied by ethr on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
Hello, excuse me for being too lazy to read, but I saw a great offer for a Frsky r9m lite at the local forum... I have to be kinda quick:)) Is it possible to use it with my Devo U7e (sbus)? Is it a nice module at all? Thanks:))

More
13 Jan 2020 15:21 - 13 Jan 2020 15:22 #75704 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic DEVO 8s + UHF built in (NO PPM)
Yes R9 it works fine with U7E, you can use PXX protocol (but not yet PXX2) I use the original R9 system with the "Flex firmware", so not to be confused with the newer R9 flashed with ACCES firmware, which I believe is not yet compatible Deviation. You could take the PXX signal from the 3.5mm socket at the back of Tx and feed into your R9 module.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2020 15:22 by Fernandez.

More
13 Jan 2020 23:42 - 13 Jan 2020 23:43 #75706 by ethr
I have found info for the pins, but how to power the module, should I use step up regulator to 6 volts? And once again the tip of the 3.5 connector is PXX_OUT, the middle one is s.port and ground is the last one? How can I tell which is the protocol of R9m lite, or is it a EU version, the seller doesn't know that stuff. He sent me only some pics.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2020 23:43 by ethr.

More
14 Jan 2020 18:42 #75719 by Fernandez
that should not matter as long as you flash it with the Frsky Flex firmware, just download it from Frsky website. Than hook up to PXX and it should work.

More
14 Jan 2020 20:36 #75720 by ethr
But I think the owner have sold or broke his Taranis X-Lite radio and I doubt that he could flash it for me. I think it could not be flashed without frsky radio, how did you do it ?

More
15 Jan 2020 08:14 #75724 by Fernandez
No need for Frsky transmitter.
You can flash R9 using Frsky windows flashtool, to do it you need to connect gnd and smartport and then power it up.
either use Frsky usb flashtool, or make one yourself with a 232-usb convertor and diode or use USB > Betaflight port forwarding via a flight controller, you can find info on the web.

R9 Tx module flashes exactly same way/procedure as flashing a Frsky receiver.

More
15 Jan 2020 15:45 - 15 Jan 2020 15:46 #75730 by ethr
Thanks alot, I have searched, but clearly not enough. The module is sent, I will write what I have done, soon :)) What an epic transmitter is Devo 7e(ultra) ..I have done almost all of the mods available, it was so interesting. Also great community here on deviationtx.com!
Last edit: 15 Jan 2020 15:46 by ethr.

More
16 Jan 2020 23:57 - 17 Jan 2020 00:58 #75740 by ethr
I have powered the module from vdd pin , and it lights up, but I am not sure it has enough voltage. And second, I have installed deviation-devo7e-256-v5.0.0-e0ab3bc , when I select pxx, it can not bind. Can you give me some hints, maybe some other build?
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 00:58 by ethr.

More
17 Jan 2020 07:59 - 17 Jan 2020 08:02 #75741 by Fernandez
No latest nightlybuild should be fine, slecect pxx, set the r9 Rx into bind mode pressing button than apply power while keeping pressed, than bind from pxx menu, keep tx 1m separated, it should work.

But otherwise if not bind, I would first flash the Tx module and Rx with the latest Flex firmware "not the access ota" there have been a lot of incompatible firmwares bugs etc, so better to be sure flash all your stuff first.

And indeed be sure the PXX, is indeed send to r9 module correct pin! and that it has got power/gnd.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 08:02 by Fernandez.

More
17 Jan 2020 15:07 - 17 Jan 2020 15:38 #75743 by ethr
Ok, I have done all that you have said, I only get solid green and red lights on the r9mm receiver. Now I've checked for continuity the S.Port pin on the module, to the white connector, which is comming from the trainer (inside the devo) and it doesn't beep, when its all plugged in. I could not find how to connect the wires from the r9 module, directly to the board of the devo, not through the 3.5mm jack, to check if there is realy a problem with the S.Port . Any idea?
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 15:38 by ethr.

More
17 Jan 2020 21:20 #75744 by Fernandez
it is the same pin as the ppm output, so you could choose ppm first and try to find the ppm stream on the right pin, by selecting ppm output protocol.

More
17 Jan 2020 22:11 #75745 by ethr
I am not sure I understand correct, but now I saw that it is feeding onl 3.3 volts through the vdd pin, and that is nowhere near 6 volts. Probably this is the problem.I'll try with a step up converter. And also I have been reading the thread about pxx, sorry for asking questions that have been already discussed:))

More
18 Jan 2020 16:14 - 18 Jan 2020 22:12 #75747 by ethr
I tried PPM and it doesnt connect too, but the red light on the module flashes unlike when it is in pxx mode (solid red light). I am not sure the receiver is connected properly to the flight controller for PPM. I assume that the receiver and the module are working correctly, because I have flashed them multiple times through the flight controller, the module gets warm.When I power the receiver without pushing the button, it stays only with red light, when I power it with the button, it gets solid green and red lights.. Should I mod the trainer port to accept S.port signal?
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2020 22:12 by ethr.

More
22 Jan 2020 10:01 #75795 by ethr
I am not very happy but I bought Taranis..and the module and receiver are working now. I tought that there was a problem with one of them, but clearly, there isn't. Flashed some older versions of Flex firmware, but it didn't want to bind with my devo. Probably it is impossible, or I am doing something wrong. Tried alot of things, thats for sure. Tanks again Fernandez! :))

More
22 Jan 2020 20:08 - 22 Jan 2020 20:11 #75798 by Fernandez
Hi I have /devo Ultimate 7e and jumper t8sgv22 plus, not a devo 8.

But I assume it is the same.
I mean you could first try to see if you are on the right pin of your transmitter by testing it with PPM or /sbus output etc. f.i. connectingit to a flight controller etc. Anyway if you get that to work, so you are sure of correct wiring of your devo, switch it to pxx protocol and hook up the R9. in my devo 7e I can use the 3.5mm trainer plug and works.
Sport is not needed to connect to get R9 working, just gnd and PXX output pin.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2020 20:11 by Fernandez.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds