TBS Tracer - partially working already!

More
09 Nov 2020 17:49 #76984 by belrik
I have TBS Tracer and T8SGv2 plus. I've performed the hardware pin mod to enable crossfire and was pleased to see that the TX module, Wifi module and Nano RX are all visible in the CRSF menu in Deviation.

However, there are some peculiarities. For instance the prompt to update RX firmware shows only a "cancel" option, I think I tried this 20+ times and eventually I got a "ok proceed" option but I cannot replicate this on the other RX which needs updating.

Also, telemetry is being sent from BF but doesn't appear in my telemetry monitor - I see only the LQ/RSSI telemetry from the radio module itself, nothing from the serial link to the flight controller.

Otherwise, this appears to work well and I can fly TBS Tracer on deviation with no issues besides these.

If anyone understands the CRSF implementation and things that could be improved to fix these small issues please let me know, I am happy to test things on the bench.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2020 19:11 #77009 by belrik
Replied by belrik on topic TBS Tracer - partially working already!
Telemetry is working, blaming the first FC for this problem. Seems that using another FC has resolved that, error might be related to the first FC having a built-in SPI reciever or simply a lower-quality crazybee board.

More
04 Dec 2020 17:00 #77088 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic TBS Tracer - partially working already!
nice
would be interesting to verify latency/jitter.

More
04 Dec 2020 17:13 - 04 Dec 2020 17:14 #77090 by belrik

Fernandez wrote: nice
would be interesting to verify latency/jitter.

Latency from the radio should be the same as crossfire, it's using the same code. Control feels right and accurate, noticeably different to my frsky XM+ based quads, close to what I feel when using Redpine.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 17:14 by belrik.

More
04 Dec 2020 18:06 #77091 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic TBS Tracer - partially working already!
Nice myself I follow the ExpressLRS guys, I like the open source approach for a radio link, however most of the developers are OpenTx minded.

I still like Deviation. TGSG V2plus works well for me, I prefer it above my Frsky X-Lite.

More
04 Dec 2020 18:33 #77092 by belrik

Fernandez wrote: Nice myself I follow the ExpressLRS guys, I like the open source approach for a radio link, however most of the developers are OpenTx minded.

I still like Deviation. TGSG V2plus works well for me, I prefer it above my Frsky X-Lite.

I follow expressLRS too, seems that they can use CRSF on the radio too, unfortunately eLRS can't render menus on deviationtx like tracer and crossfire. Seems that deviation isn't getting new protocols at this point, so it's days are numbered. I'd have bought ghost if deviation supported it.

More
07 Feb 2021 13:20 #77208 by Corrado-c
Replied by Corrado-c on topic TBS Tracer - partially working already!
Hi! also i am following expressLRS, i have implemented one and i am testing it on openTX,
I would like to put it on Jumper T8SGV2 +
i tried because i saw the CRSF protocol, but i was too naive hahahah

More
07 Feb 2021 15:06 #77210 by belrik
It's ok, took me a while to realise how this all works. I got lucky with Tracer because the same CRSF scripting interface is used to pull menus from Tracer and Crossfire. However ELRS uses CRSF in conjunction with their own LUA scripts and these LUA scripts contain the actual menu code for ELRS. So when ELRS changes an option on OpenTX the LUA scripts contain the menu text and the settings update is sent via a CRSF telementry update call to the module. Whereas on Crossfire and Tracer the CRSF interface is used to pull all of the menu text from the module itself.
I hope that in time the ELRS developers can also adopt this CRSF interface to transfer their menus contents, but it's a large amount of work and they have higher priorities I think.
FWIW I think this menu rendering is part of what TBS mean when they talk about the "CRSF engine" which is common to both Tracer and Crossfire.

More
07 Feb 2021 15:30 - 07 Feb 2021 15:31 #77211 by Corrado-c
it would be great if it worked without a menu, even without having the ability to change settings via radio.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2021 15:31 by Corrado-c.

More
08 Feb 2021 10:03 #77212 by belrik

Corrado-c wrote: it would be great if it worked without a menu, even without having the ability to change settings via radio.

I suppose if everything is bound and setup when you connect the module into the deviation radio then it should work using CRSF. I'm really hoping that the eLRS team adds support for the little screen & joystick on the Ghost TX which they are currently porting eLRS onto.

More
08 Feb 2021 12:41 - 08 Feb 2021 12:48 #77213 by Corrado-c
the TX and RX modules are already configured and binded, I connected the module to pin 2 and 3 for power supply and the remaining to 5 directly, without performing the hardware modification for the crossfire;
it is not necessary since I do not have the required position, or Is essential to connect 1 and 5 together?
(I already have the modification for R9)

I think I will write in a special thread, otherwise I create confusion
deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-developme...868-expresslrs#77214
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 12:48 by Corrado-c.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds