Telemetry

More
02 Oct 2012 16:23 #1934 by PhracturedBlue
Telemetry was created by PhracturedBlue
I've added preliminary telemetry support in bitbucket.
In order to see the value, select' Telemetry2' as the source for one of the text boxes.
Note that I'm seeing occasional glitches (bind light blinks) on my Ladybird, so there is likely a bug there which needs more work. It is rare though, and I haven't noticed any issue with respect to control yet.

I'm interested in (a) whether it works and (b) if anyone has any model with more than one channel of telemetry that we can do more testing with.

Also, I'm interested in feedback for how the display should work.
My thought is to have the main screen be limited to showing Voltage, Temperature, RPM values, and to create new page that shows the full telemetry data (for instance GPS info)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 19:53 #1937 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Telemetry
I agree: displaying GPS coordinates on the main page would need a smaller font to fit in the box...

BTW do the other protocols support telemetry? If yes, what data types can they supply?

More
02 Oct 2012 19:59 #1938 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Telemetry
I know FrSky (currently unsupported) does.
the web site says it supports:
Voltage
Variometer
GPS
Temperature
RPM
Acceleration sensor

I need to get the CC2500 module working before I can play with FrSky stuff though.

More
03 Oct 2012 02:46 #1939 by PhracturedBlue
Ok, so I was able to figure out how to read temperature from the telemetry as well now.
The Devo seems to support 3 voltage values and 4 temperatures over telemetry. The odd thing is that the Devo shows the MiniCP/Ladybird voltage as in the middle position, yet from what I see in the protocol it should be in the 3rd position, so there is no question I don't understand all of the bytes in the telemetry packet yet.

More
03 Oct 2012 08:05 #1941 by FDR
The "Telemetry1" and "Telemetry2" options in the box configuration kicked out the Ch1 and Ch2 from the list...

More
04 Oct 2012 01:40 - 04 Oct 2012 01:44 #1967 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: The "Telemetry1" and "Telemetry2" options in the box configuration kicked out the Ch1 and Ch2 from the list...

Yep...as I said it is really only for testing at the moment.

I need to find a way to allow selection of telemetry options in the listbox without adding a bunch of items to the listbox.

Maybe the listbox (on the page config page) should only contain 'Telemetry' which is clickable to a new page allowing selecting temperature (in both C and F), RPM, or Voltage

Or maybe I need a separate telemetry page that allows you to assign what is displayed in the 'Telemetry1' and 'Telemetry2' (and probably Telemetry3' and Telemetry4') boxes.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2012 01:44 by PhracturedBlue.

More
04 Oct 2012 04:15 - 04 Oct 2012 05:44 #1970 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Telemetry
As it impemented at JR XG11:
1. Main screen and telemetry screen switched by right roller button, Rx battery voltage moreover, if configured, always displayed at main screen under Tx voltage.
2. Telemetry screen displays 6 types of sensors.
3. There is telemetry configuration screen with selection of 6 type of sensors.
4. Each sensor configured at individual screen.
1) RX-BATTERY: INH or ACT, No Link Alarm (INH, 10s, 15s, 30s).
2) TEMPERATURE: Scale (C or F), Alarm (INH, 30-500C)
3) RPM: Gear ratio (INH, 1.00-20.00), Number of Blades (1-20), Delay (INH, 0.5s-10.0s)
4) ALTITUDE: Unit (m, ft), Sound1,2,3 (INH, ↑1-2000m, ↓1-2000m, ~0.3m-9.9m), SW SEL (ON, SWx)
5) VARIOMETER: Unit (m/s, ft/s), UP SOUND1,2,3,4 (INH, 0.1m/s-3.0m/s), DOWN SOUND (INH, 0.1m/s-3.0m/s), SW SEL (ON, SWx)
6) FLIGHT PACK: VOLT-ALARM (INH, 0.1V-655.3V), CAPACITY (0mAh-30,000mAh), CAPA-ALARM (INH, 0%-100%)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2012 05:44 by vlad_vy.

More
04 Oct 2012 12:26 #1980 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: The "Telemetry1" and "Telemetry2" options in the box configuration kicked out the Ch1 and Ch2 from the list...

Yep...as I said it is really only for testing at the moment.

I need to find a way to allow selection of telemetry options in the listbox without adding a bunch of items to the listbox.

Maybe the listbox (on the page config page) should only contain 'Telemetry' which is clickable to a new page allowing selecting temperature (in both C and F), RPM, or Voltage

Or maybe I need a separate telemetry page that allows you to assign what is displayed in the 'Telemetry1' and 'Telemetry2' (and probably Telemetry3' and Telemetry4') boxes.

I like the second solution more. How many telemetry "channel" we will have? About 10? They would be just like the channel list, but I don't think they need to be assignable, just list them in some fixed order. But they should be configurable: are they used, what format, alarm level, etc...

More
05 Oct 2012 01:50 #1996 by PhracturedBlue
Well, the devo has:
3 voltage
4 temp
2 RPM
1 GPS
(I think)
So we'll probably start there.

More
07 Oct 2012 03:44 #2021 by DemonOfPyro
Replied by DemonOfPyro on topic Telemetry
Just a thought, could this be implemented so it actually changes with each model, unlike the DEVOs do now where you have to change it every time you switch to a model with a different battery voltage.

More
07 Oct 2012 16:27 #2028 by Sam
Replied by Sam on topic Telemetry
maybe this help
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2013 12:32 #8627 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic Telemetry
I would appreciate a telemetry alarm for "loss of telemetry data".
I use telemetry to monitor battery voltage, but if I am out of telemetry range I would not get a low battery alarm.

More
06 Apr 2013 13:04 #8628 by PhracturedBlue
I think we had a discussion about this before, though I can't find it. There are a couple reasons this was deemed not so useful I think
* rx and tx is not symmetric. What you hear from the rx has little to do with what it hears from you.
* if it is symetric, by the time I can detect that telemetry is lost, it is probably too late.

I went looking for the discussion but it didn't turn up for me.

Anyhow that isn't to say we can't do this. I'd want more feedback about it though.

More
06 Apr 2013 14:26 #8637 by DarkWolf
Replied by DarkWolf on topic Telemetry
Is there any method of monitoring how strong the signal strength is on the TX from the RX?

More
06 Apr 2013 14:31 #8640 by PhracturedBlue
In DSM there is. RW9UAO diud some work to capture and display that info a while back. I don't believe Walkera has that info available.

More
06 Apr 2013 19:42 #8655 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic Telemetry
I am aware that loss of telemetry data does not mean that the RX is out of range. But there is not much of a point of having a low voltage alarm if you cannot be sure to get it (because there is no alarm out of telemetry range)

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds