Telemetry alarms

More
03 Nov 2012 20:11 - 03 Nov 2012 20:13 #2657 by FDR
Telemetry alarms was created by FDR
I have a few observations/questions/ideas about the telemetry alarms.

First I think it doesn't work, or at least not the way I think it should. It doesn't alarm the V2 of my Ladybird, but I might misconfigured something, however it alarms me on turning on the tx...

If telemetry alarm is set it is fired when I turn the tx on whether the rx is on or not. I think it is trivial, that if there was no telemetry data received so far, then the value is out of the limits. I would alarm on the telemetry data if we are already receiving telemetry packets.

However there should be an other configurable alarm: when the tx doesn't receive telemetry packages, i.e. the telemetry connection is lost. I think it isn't needed at startap either, until at least one package is received...
Furthermore, I think it would be useful if it could be configured to be continuous while the telemetry data is missing.

Questions:
Why is there a significant delay before the tx realizes that the data is missing, and turns the number into red?

Every text is perfect on the tx, except the telemetry voltage in a large main page box: there is a thin vertical line between the number and the "V", like "0.0|V".
EDIT: it is there in the emulator too...
Last edit: 03 Nov 2012 20:13 by FDR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2012 20:34 #2658 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Telemetry alarms

FDR wrote: I have a few observations/questions/ideas about the telemetry alarms.

Thanks, as you can probably guess, the current code is completely untested

First I think it doesn't work, or at least not the way I think it should. It doesn't alarm the V2 of my Ladybird, but I might misconfigured something, however it alarms me on turning on the tx...

That certainly isn't the way it should behave. You are correct that it shouldn't enable until data is 1st detected.

However there should be an other configurable alarm: when the tx doesn't receive telemetry packages, i.e. the telemetry connection is lost.
Furthermore, I think it would be useful if it could be configured to be continuous while the telemetry data is missing.

Yes I'd considered this. I'll see what I can do.

Questions:
Why is there a significant delay before the tx realizes that the data is missing, and turns the number into red?

The limit is currently 5 seconds with no telemetry received. It depends on what your purpose is for using telemetry. for temperature, voltage, and gps coordinates, dropping packets isn't really going to cause an issue, so there is no reason to alarm if a few packets are lost. If your purpose is to use telemetry as a proxy for knowing that you arelosing reception, I'm not sure this is a great idea. The transmit range of a tx has virtually nothing to do with the transmit range of the telemetry data.
So adding a configurable alarm for when telemetry signal is lost sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure what you gain by more agressively indicating dropped packets. Convince me.

Every text is perfect on the tx, except the telemetry voltage in a large main page box: there is a thin vertical line between the number and the "V", like "0.0|V".
EDIT: it is there in the emulator too...

WYeah, something is wrong with the font. I've known about it for a while, just need to sit down and fix it. File a ticket on bitbucket so I don't forget

More
03 Nov 2012 21:08 #2659 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Telemetry alarms

PhracturedBlue wrote:

FDR wrote: First I think it doesn't work, or at least not the way I think it should. It doesn't alarm the V2 of my Ladybird, but I might misconfigured something, however it alarms me on turning on the tx...

That certainly isn't the way it should behave. You are correct that it shouldn't enable until data is 1st detected.

I have to clearify it: it seems, that the voltage alarm only comes once, so if the voltage returns back to normal, and go down again, tha alarm won't sound again. But this way I get the alarm too early on a harder thottle (or pitch) pump, but not when later the battery is getting low...

PhracturedBlue wrote:

The limit is currently 5 seconds with no telemetry received. It depends on what your purpose is for using telemetry. for temperature, voltage, and gps coordinates, dropping packets isn't really going to cause an issue, so there is no reason to alarm if a few packets are lost. If your purpose is to use telemetry as a proxy for knowing that you arelosing reception, I'm not sure this is a great idea. The transmit range of a tx has virtually nothing to do with the transmit range of the telemetry data.
So adding a configurable alarm for when telemetry signal is lost sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure what you gain by more agressively indicating dropped packets. Convince me.

One or two packets are not the end of the world, but if somebody is relying on the battery alarm to time the flight, it can hurt if he doesn't receive the telemetry data and is not warned. Yes, I know it's only 5 seconds, but who knows...

I'm sure my micros' telemetry transmittion do not have a similar range of the tx itself, but they are flown within a short range. However the CTL01-D should have full range, so loosing telemetry packets is a sign of possibility to loose connection to the model soon...

Time to create page: 0.027 seconds