Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Apr 2013 14:48 #8567 by rbe2012
Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI was created by rbe2012
Now that deviation 3.0.0 is released there is official support for the Devo12. Because it was supported in the nightly builds I could make some changes to the GUI. Hexperience has done the basic things a little time ago.
Now I can present a new main page for the Devo12 GUI which makes use of the whole screen. I have completely restructured the main page so you can place many elements on the screen where ever you want to (ok, not fully free but quite good, I think).
The development is not ready - I had to change so many things that I have to clean up before it can really be used. But now I would like to hear what you think about it.

The main changes listed:
  • New main page with configurable elements all over
  • New main config page (all on one page, see beyond)
  • New screen objects called "crosses" (showing the stick positions, more or less a finger exercise with perhaps no practical use)
  • The emulator for Devo12 is integrated (make TARGET=emu_devo12 WINDOWS=1)
  • The "input monitor" page is split in two pages, one for the analog inputs and another for the switch inputs (both did not take place on a single page even on this big screen)
  • Versioning of the tx.ini-file is simply implemented to have a way to configure additional parameters
  • Versioning of the model*.ini-files is implemented (not fully yet) and is used by the wide screen GUI
  • Some simple fixes for other parts of deviation are integrated
  • RTC-support is not integrated, will do this at the weekend...
If you want to test it, you can download it from my repository at BitBucket (RBE-Test) . I had some crashes in the emulator a few days ago so I do not recommend to use it for flying - I have no Devo12 for real testing.
Also be aware that it will change the model*.ini-file used. Please make a backup or make sure the used file is empty. The tx.ini-file could get a few new lines but they should not harm (but better backup it too).

Here is a short description of what can be done with the new features:

An empty model:

Open the main page config:

A short click on the elements changes their type: There are normal an big boxes, icons, toggle icons, bars, high bars and the new crosses. Most of the elements are limited in number (e.g. one icon, two crosses):

A longer click on an element allows to change its parameters, dependent of the type of element: boxes have a source, bars have four sources, an icon has a filename, toggles have three toggle icons with a switch and three icons each...:

If there is no place for an element, it is shifted out of the preview. You can change its type and when it fits on the screen again, it jumpes up.
You can choose more different trim layout as before due to the four-row-design. Also four quickpage-targets can be defined.
A full page can look like this:

Let me hear if you like it and what suggestions you have. As always I am very curious if I hit the mark or far away from it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
More
05 Apr 2013 14:53 #8568 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
I forgot to mention: it is synchronized with the official 3.0.0-release from PhracturedBlue's repo.

More
05 Apr 2013 18:31 #8589 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
Awesome work RBE!

If there is no icon on the screen, you have to put the model configure button on the top bar....

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• rbe2012
More
05 Apr 2013 18:56 #8594 by rbe2012
No, if there is no icon the first visible box which has no source defined will be replaced by the icon. If no such box exists, yes, you have to modify the ini file.
I thought about a dialog which tells that no icon is defined before you can leave the page...

Ah, I think I got it now. You mean the model config button which is there when no icon is shown... where have I seen this? Devo10? I will have a look into it (I had a side view to this somewhere in the code but did not spare time on this...).

More
05 Apr 2013 19:14 #8595 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
No, it is in the DEVO 8. Try the emulator...

• rbe2012
More
05 Apr 2013 19:23 #8596 by rbe2012
Thanks, I have found it. New version is committed.
I have done so many tests and every time I had to make the same config steps, because the makefile deleted my changes to the model.ini-file and so I write-protected it. I am sorry: I have made no test with a really empty model file for the last days...

More
05 Apr 2013 22:20 #8603 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
My friend... you have nothing to be sorry for... :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
30 Apr 2013 07:26 #9372 by omija
Replied by omija on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
:( can i get a binary copy of this.... i can not have a compile set on my computer yet

• rbe2012
More
30 Apr 2013 08:19 #9377 by rbe2012
Please be patient for a few days - development is in full progress.
I will not provide a binary until I am sure it will not do something unexpected.

More
30 Apr 2013 08:32 #9378 by omija
Replied by omija on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
:P it's cool

i am an old IT guy working in this area for around 20 years.

just do not have a compile enveronment yet and will to test it on chinese version coz i am chinese...

so let me know when it's done,

my email address is .. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

thanks so much for your work

• rbe2012
More
02 May 2013 13:54 #9481 by rbe2012
I have updated my repo; please look at this post: devo12-widescreen

More
15 May 2013 04:36 #9994 by ave1
Replied by ave1 on topic Devo12: configurable wide screen GUI
May I try this. I have never used bitbucket but, I assume you share all your work there but, it is restricted who can use the files or, the incorrect format?

The above looks very nice and 12S widescreen support, I did not know existed.

Thank you,

Steve

• rbe2012
More
15 May 2013 04:49 #9996 by rbe2012
The development is gone further than this what you can see in this thread. It is discussed in another thread called devo12 widescreen or similar (can't search here from my phone, but look at "recent", it will be one of the first hits).
Anyone can read from bitbucket (writing is limited), but you will not find installable dfu-files there - you have to implement yout development environment and compile the sources.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds