Feature request: Throttle weighted timer

More
07 Jun 2013 14:31 #10687 by panosnl
I just bought a 7e and added deviationtx and flysky module. It is great! I really like what you guys are doing.

I am really missing a feature that I have on my 9x: throttle weighted timer.

The throttle weigthed timer TH% is a timer that specifies the time if full throttle is used. When less than full throttle is used the countdown time is slowed down accordingly and stops when no throttle is applied.

This method proved to be accurately matching the capacity of the battery. If I fly slow I can fly longer than when I fly full throttle. Static timers I find to be useless for battery estimation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
07 Jun 2013 15:26 #10690 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
An interesting idea. I have never heard about such a method but I do not know the 9x (with er9x-firmware?).

I mostly fly helis where the difference between the flight modes is noticeable, but not huge (I can win a minute or two with slower flying an loose one with hardcore 3d...). For planes this might be different, esp. for gliders.
But will this give a better guess for the remaining time? I have programmed my timers so that they warn me in time and I will stop to fly when the first warning comes, when the time has counted down or even later - depending on my feeling about how much I stressed the battery...

Wouldn't id be better to add telemetry in such case?

More
07 Jun 2013 16:36 #10694 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
I'd also be interested in whether anyone has actually implemented anything like this and whether it works.
On a FP heli or plane, I can believe it would work reasonably well, but on a CP heli, the force applied to the prop is dependent on ele, ail, and pit more than on thr, and I have no idea how to account for that.

I'm not sure even on FP or airplanes that the effect is linear with throttle position.

More
07 Jun 2013 19:32 #10700 by panosnl
Replied by panosnl on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
I have been using this feature on the 9x mainly on my FP helis (v911) and quads (v959 and FF120) and I find it very usefull. Whether I fly slow indoors or full trottle outdoor it works well. I think it is the default timer for the 9x since I have been using it from the start unhindered by any knowledge.

For CP I have not really used it yet since I am still learning so it is still very simple flying not too far away.
But you are right indeed. For CP this timer may no be less accurate although I think the largest power consumption is from the throttle + collective pitch combination. That is where I hear the engine is having a hard time. My ele and ail inputs are still limited ;-). So when pitch curves remain unaltered similar timer values will occur between batteries.

I have also been thinking about the (non)linearity of this function. I might perfom a test by emptying a battery at 1/3, 2/3 and full throttle and compare weighted timings. Whatever the outcome, it will be closer to realitiy than using a fixed timer.

More
08 Jun 2013 04:07 #10708 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
Ok, I've implemented this now.
There are 2 new timer types 'countdown-prop' and 'stopwatch-prop'
These replace the 'Switch' input with a 'Control' input. The source associated with the 'Control' will weight the timer. a value of 0 will stop the timer a value of 100 will run the timer at full speed, anything in between will be proportionally slower. Negative is treated like positive. This means you may need a virtual channel to convert -100 <-> 100 into 0 <-> 100. Since you lost the switch control, you could use a virtual channel to add that in.

I could alternatively treat -100 as 'off' and 100 as full, which is probably the most common usage, but that goes against the general philosophy of Deviation not being tuned for a specific use-case.

More
15 Oct 2013 20:58 #14676 by Khan
Replied by Khan on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
Sorry for digging this topic out, but I had some thoughts about it I wanted to share :
IMHO Throttle weighted timer is indeed a good idea, but the unit it counts shouldn't be seconds or minutes. What we're trying to assess is the energy consumed, not the time flown, so I believe the display should be the product of time*throttle value, and be counted in an arbitrary unit like "Energy unit" (Eu).
After a few flights you would know how much "Eu" you can squeeze out of a battery, just like you would with throttle weighed timer, only this way you're not distorting time ! :P

More
09 Jan 2014 14:49 #18281 by andmiller
Replied by andmiller on topic Feature request: Throttle weighted timer
I really like that idea, then you could even mark your batteries with the Eu number and set that as the unit to count down from at each battery change. Maybe make it loosely based off of mWh so you could estimate the initial value and adjust from there?

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds