Textbox Support

More
07 Jul 2013 19:28 #12048 by adabman
Textbox Support was created by adabman
I suppose only useful for large LCDs, like my Devo12s, but it would be great to be able to have some text displayed on the main screen. For example, on my 130x:

---
Flight Mode: Normal
Ail: 80 Expo +40
Ele: 80 Expo +40
Rud: 100 Expo +10
---
and when changing the DR/FMode switches, the textboxs would update..

Deviation :) 1 TX to rule them all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2013 11:47 - 08 Jul 2013 11:48 #12078 by Scream
Replied by Scream on topic Textbox Support
Hiya!

AS a devo 10'er, I cant understand why you would abandon devo 12's customizable icons for text?

Every feature you described can be displayed right now using the icon method, if you really want a plain display... I can trade you a 7 for that 12 :)

Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-
Last edit: 08 Jul 2013 11:48 by Scream. Reason: spelling :)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
08 Jul 2013 12:12 #12080 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Textbox Support
Sometimes strings are easier to recognize with a short look than pictures - even the color will not help when you are standing in the sunlight (where high contrast wins).
Of course you can use the toggle icons for this - containing text as a picture and place some icons side by side. But you will have to store pictures in memory (every icon takes nearly 20 kilobytes (96 wide * 96 high * 2 bytes for color)), not only a few characters for a string. So it is a huge waste of memory space which will be scarse sooner or later for one tx model or another...

As PB has mentioned somewhere else his priority is not on adding new elements (I think in the "PB's new GUI" thread). There has been already a discussion about text boxes.

More
08 Jul 2013 13:11 #12084 by Scream
YAY!

devo10 monochrome finally has an advantage... its dead easy to see it in the sun, lol!

Actually, text icons is a pretty clever workaround. By the time space becomes a limitation, the feature will probably make its way into a build! :)

Cheers!

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
08 Jul 2013 14:13 #12086 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Textbox Support
Actually, strings require much more memory than icons do. The icons are all read from flash on demand. That gives us between 512k (devo7e) and 16MB (devo12) of storage space for icons.
Assuming you want to type your own strings (which I do), they must be stored in RAM. we have much less RAM available. The other issue is that I need to pre-allocate room for the strings, which means even if you don't use them, they will take up room. In the end, it isn't really an issue for either the Devo8 or Devo10.

However, you need to spec out what you actually want.
I was planning to implement static text (customizable descriptor labels) but you seem to be discussing text that behaves like a toggle.

Either way, it is unlikely to happen before he next release. As I said, Deviation is now under feature-freeze while I work on stabilizing the code.

More
08 Jul 2013 14:40 - 08 Jul 2013 14:41 #12087 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Textbox Support

adabman wrote: I suppose only useful for large LCDs, like my Devo12s, but it would be great to be able to have some text displayed on the main screen. For example, on my 130x:

---
---

My understanding (or preference) on this request is that it not static text, it should be similar to a "printf" with the numbers in the example being pulled from the model.ini file.

Thus the text can be static strings pulled from a menu (which in turn is pulled from the language file), and the numbers selected from the active model.ini file based on the active status/flight mode.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2013 14:41 by RandMental.

More
08 Jul 2013 15:51 #12092 by myxiplx
Replied by myxiplx on topic Textbox Support

PhracturedBlue wrote: I was planning to implement static text (customizable descriptor labels) but you seem to be discussing text that behaves like a toggle.

Text that behaves like a toggle would be great. I know it's a wishlist idea, and won't make it for the next build, but I think that would be a great addition to icons.

More
08 Jul 2013 16:28 #12095 by Scream
Text as a toggle already works, no?

Assign a toggle, and apply custom icon (your text) to the toggles functionality.

It might be hard to read it though... maybe the layout screen where you can move the boxes around needs some kinda resize option?

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
08 Jul 2013 16:44 #12096 by adabman
Replied by adabman on topic Textbox Support

RandMental wrote:

adabman wrote: I suppose only useful for large LCDs, like my Devo12s, but it would be great to be able to have some text displayed on the main screen. For example, on my 130x:

---
---

My understanding (or preference) on this request is that it not static text, it should be similar to a "printf" with the numbers in the example being pulled from the model.ini file.

Thus the text can be static strings pulled from a menu (which in turn is pulled from the language file), and the numbers selected from the active model.ini file based on the active status/flight mode.

Exactly what I was thinking. Its the numbers that are important to me, not the text(or icon). I have many models, and have set for each a different DR/Expo setting for each AIL/ELE/RUD switch pos. I would just like the setting displayed.

A printf is exactly what I was thinking. I suppose I could try and hack it in myself..

More
08 Jul 2013 17:03 #12098 by Scream
just use the channel outputs that AIL/ELE/RUD represent, mapped to a box from the main page config and hold the stix to a corner (max position)...

Nothing except the mixer pages can influence Expo (AFAIK) so as long as you know how much XP you have on each FMOD/MIX mode, the icon's position achieves both functions. To be 100% elegant in its solution, you could customize the toggle options to show the XP value as a fixed text.

Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but it is possible already. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to have a easier way to go about it thou, just saying you don't have to wait for it :)

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
08 Jul 2013 17:28 #12099 by adabman
Replied by adabman on topic Textbox Support
Scream,

I do understand what you are saying, but I would still prefer textbox support. I have a large area on the right side of my LCD that is all blank. For fun, I will try to code it in for myself. It has been some time since I used C though. Time to start looking at the code..

More
09 Jul 2013 03:31 - 09 Jul 2013 03:31 #12113 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Textbox Support

RandMental wrote: ---
---

It is really unlikely you'll ever get anything this complicated.
What you've described is a widget with variable size, multiple numerics that need interpretation and toggle based on some state info.

What you are more likely to get:
A variable-width text box containing a single line of text that supports exactly one variable value, which will always have a value between -100 and 100. The text would have a single conditional that defines whether it is displayed or not.

With a setup like this, and using enough boxes, it would be possible to achieve something very close to what you've described. you would potentially need to overlap boxes to achieve a toggle behavior, and use multiple boxes assigned to the same 'toggle' to get multiple values displayed, but it should be possible to achieve.

As I said, though, it will likely need to wait until after the next release.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 03:31 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds