TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?

More
19 Dec 2013 21:51 #16813 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
What about asking FrSky for assistance? Given that that their code and environment are all open source they may not mind to help.

If they see what Deviation ment for Devention sales they might even support the effort especially if we include/add their protocol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2013 05:06 - 20 Dec 2013 05:37 #16817 by vlad_vy

vlad_vy wrote: STMicro: 456RP B305 = LCD Chip ST456RP

Probably it can be EEPROM, marking is very similar (page 3)
www.farnell.com/datasheets/1642482.pdf
Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 05:37 by vlad_vy.

More
20 Dec 2013 07:06 #16821 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
There is an EEPROM on the board (maybe that is it), but I don't know what it is used for.

I just checked in some initial code to support the X9D. The code is absolutely non-functional at the moment. Don't put it on your TX!
There are some major issues to resolve. For instance:
* libopencm3 doesn't have very good F2 support, and does not handle the adc, rtc, or timers above #8
* I haven't implemented the SD card support (so no filesystem)
* I haven't dealt with any protocol related code
* I haven't got most of the timers working (so no PPM)
* I haven't looked at the sound code

But I did port the LCD driver (only in 2-color mode), and implemented the button and switches.
I've also documented the majority of the STM32F2 I/O pins now.

More
20 Dec 2013 10:52 - 20 Dec 2013 10:54 #16828 by vlad_vy
After replacing burnt MCU and flashing firmware, all models remains intact. So I think that EEPROM used for models there is outside MCU.

Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 10:54 by vlad_vy.

More
21 Dec 2013 21:11 #16903 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
Hi PB,

Do you intend a new set of Source code for the Taranis, or will it be another option in the makefile?

More
22 Dec 2013 04:56 #16917 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
Not sure what you mean. I've already added 'x9d' as a target for deviation:
make TARGET=x9d
It will build (but there is lots of stuff disabled, and it doesn't actually work). There is a bunch of work needed still, but most of it is just reading the STM32F2 documentation and writing low-level functions. Tedious but not difficult. The recent changes to the build system were all to enable building the x9d and to support the fact that the switches are named differently than the Devo radios.

More
22 Dec 2013 10:36 #16920 by RandMental
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know, it is good news that it is included in the current build and source environment.

More
24 Dec 2013 04:21 #16965 by PhracturedBlue
So I haven't had much time lately, but I did a bit of work tonight. I can install a custom firmware easily, power on/off the tx, enable the backlight, draw to the LCD, and write to the USART, so really basic functionality is there.
While pixel-setting is working fine, the pixel buffer code (translating 128x64 into 212x64) isn't working as expected. I also need to solder a proper UART connector as I don't have the proper 4pin plug right now.

Once I've got the LCD fixed, the next step will be to get the Analog interface written. As I mentioned, there is quite a lot of work needed before the Tx has any functionality, but at least interfacing to the Tx is working.

It is so much nicer to work with a TX that is designed to be programmed for, rather than Walkera which threw a bunch of roadblocks in our way.

More
24 Dec 2013 11:05 #16969 by SeByDocKy

PhracturedBlue wrote: So I haven't had much time lately, but I did a bit of work tonight. I can install a custom firmware easily, power on/off the tx, enable the backlight, draw to the LCD, and write to the USART, so really basic functionality is there.
While pixel-setting is working fine, the pixel buffer code (translating 128x64 into 212x64) isn't working as expected. I also need to solder a proper UART connector as I don't have the proper 4pin plug right now.

Once I've got the LCD fixed, the next step will be to get the Analog interface written. As I mentioned, there is quite a lot of work needed before the Tx has any functionality, but at least interfacing to the Tx is working.

It is so much nicer to work with a TX that is designed to be programmed for, rather than Walkera which threw a bunch of roadblocks in our way.

I am impressed by your retro-engenieering capacity ...

More
24 Dec 2013 16:20 #16980 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
Quick question, is it easy to change mode 1 to mode 2 as far as the sticks go? Seems easier to get a Taranis mode 1 than mode 2.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
24 Dec 2013 16:46 - 24 Dec 2013 16:48 #16981 by vlad_vy
No problem.

"The gimbals have adjustable length and tension, and each of the vertical axes is fitted with a spring disable feature as well as a ratchet and brake. This means that there is no need to swap parts to change modes, and that if you want to you can have either both or none of the vertical axes spring-loaded."

code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 16:48 by vlad_vy.

More
24 Dec 2013 17:11 #16982 by PhracturedBlue
The X9D appears to be a nice Tx. It is well built. It compares well to the Devo10 with 2 more switches (and more 3-way switches), as well as 2 analog sliders as opposed to the top 2 digital trims on the devo10.
The processor is more powerful, it has SD Card support, it has a much better speaker (full audio as opposed to the buzzer in the Devo10), and the screen is larger and should be capable of 4-level greyscale (untested)

The Devo 10 has vibration, and most importantly a transmitter module capable of supporting Devo/WK/ and DSM2/X protocols without any hardware modification.

While the # of controls on the X9D is more similar to the Devo12 (basically the same, the Devo 12 has 2 more digital trims), the Devo12 has nicer sliders, a much better chassis, and a huge color LCD screen.

Frsky is promising to be able to upgrade the X9D hardware to a 'Plus' model including vibration, digital encoders, better sliders, etc.

More
24 Dec 2013 17:48 #16984 by vlad_vy
It has 16-grayscale or 4-bit grayscale LCD.

More
24 Dec 2013 20:55 - 24 Dec 2013 20:56 #16985 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
Yeah, as I was looking around at the documentation for the X9D, I saw some plane icons that looked pretty good.

So I guess I'll have to order one. The gimbals on my devo12 are not very smooth and the placement of sticks in relation to switches feels a bit off.

Not to mention I have a couple hundred dollars worth of frsky receivers that I haven't used since I switched to devo...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 20:56 by Hexperience.

More
25 Dec 2013 23:44 #17035 by PhracturedBlue
I got the ADC working now, so now I can read all of the analog sticks and dials.
That was more work than expected because the ADC and DMA controls are quite different than on the F1. Now I need to get either the eeprom or sd-card working so I can get a filesystem installed, then we should be ready to boot up Deviation,

More
27 Dec 2013 14:28 #17091 by PhracturedBlue
Here we go:

I have the filesystem working now off the SD Card (that was a real pain despite basically copying the Taranis code) whixh was the last big thing I needed to get Deviation up and going.
It is still really buggy. It reboots all the time, and drawing to the screen is really slow. I don't have any protocols supported, so it can't actually be used for anything. But there you have it. Deviation running on the Taranis X9D.
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2013 14:51 - 27 Dec 2013 14:55 #17093 by PhracturedBlue
Build instructions:
In case anyone wants to try it (really not recommended yet, but you aren't likely to break anything):
1) make TARGET=x9d

2) take the sd-card out of the Tx and put it in a card-reaqder attached to the PC. Create a new top-level directory 'deviat.ion'. Copy filesystem/x9d/* to SDCARD:/deviat.ion/*. Put the sd-card back in the Tx

3) Download the STM32 dfuse tool from here:
code.google.com/p/vrbrain/downloads/deta...=um0412.zip&can=2&q=

4) Install. You can have it installed along with the Walkera dfuse tool, so no need to uninstall. however, this tool CANNOT be used to upgrade a Walkera Tx, and Walkera's can't be used to upgrade a Taranis. Run the 'Dfuse Demonstration' program.

5) With the Tx off, plug the usb cable into the tx and the PC. The PC should recognize the Tx, and you should see it listed in the 'Available DFU'

6) Upgrade->Choose->x9d.dfu (make sure to use the button in the 'Upgrade' section and NOT the 'Upload' section!)

7) Press Upgrade

8 ) Unplug the Tx from the USB. You cannot boot the Tx with it plugged into USB, it will always go into DFU mode!

9) Turn on the Tx
Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 14:55 by PhracturedBlue.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:08 #17097 by sbstnp
Awesome, I need to add one on my wish list, great work PB! I get excited on what I could do on a 212x64 screen lol!

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
27 Dec 2013 16:34 #17111 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic TARANIX X9D: New hardware platform for Deviation?
that taranix x9 looks just like a jr 9x with the rotary encoder removed and replaced with 3 buttons, i wonder if it shares the same hardware?

More
27 Dec 2013 16:54 #17113 by PhracturedBlue
While I agree it looks like they used the same chassis supplier, I think it is very unlikely the JR shares the same internals (I know that Frsky designed the circuit board in the Taranis, and I think the JR as been around longer than the STM32F2 has actually been on the market.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds