Devo8s loses active model info when batteries ran

More
25 Dec 2013 12:28 #16998 by RandMental
I log a ticket for this problem - Bitbucket Issue #452

Devo8s with Devo8-V3.0.0.0-b64e40c - seems the low voltage protection does not work under all conditions.

I left the Devo8s on and the Devo8s batteries (NiMH) ran flat. When I got back the LCD was dimmed and very faint. Not realizing what the problem was, I switched it OFF and ON a few times before realizing it got to be the batteries.

I then put it on the Charger and on switch-on it came up with the same model number (Model4.in) but the name was back to Model4 and it is an empty default (template).

Since this is something that could (and would) happen in normal operations, we need to see if we can further improve the low voltage protection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2013 14:51 #17007 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo8s loses active model info when batteries ran
What is your battery critical level set at? This will be found in the tx.ini (it isn't settable in the GUI. It should be properly defined automatically when you 1st setup your Tx.

The hardware prevents Deviation from turning off your Tx when the power switch is On. There is nothing we can do there. But Deviation should save the model and Tx settings when the battery voltage hits the critical voltage. If this voltage is below the flash-write voltage (~3.8V), it will fail to save though. If you toggle the power after that point, I have no idea what will happen. It is possible Deviation will try to save these files again, and you could get the files erased and new data not written. I can't say if this is what happened, you applied too many steps.

I can try having the Tx startup in low-battery mode to prevent any Flash writing until the voltage gets measured as being high enough. That might fix the issue. Or it could be that the critical value is just too low for your Tx

More
25 Dec 2013 16:53 - 25 Dec 2013 17:03 #17016 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo8s loses active model info when batteries ran

PhracturedBlue wrote: What is your battery critical level set at? This will be found in the tx.ini (it isn't settable in the GUI. It should be properly defined automatically when you 1st setup your Tx.

Hi PB,

I have never changed it or anything in the tx.ini except enabling the two other modules I installed, so it should be default. I since posted the model4.ini file it created to bitbucket and listed the changes it made to the tx.ini file - at least it disabled all modules.

I have reloaded the modules and have been flying this afternoon, with no problems If needed I can let it run flat again an monitor it. (I have now made a full backup of the full file system).

This is what the TX.ini settings were at the time:

current_model=4
language=0
music_shutdown=1
mode=2
brightness=5
contrast=5
volume=10
vibration=0
power_alarm=5
batt_alarm=3300
batt_critical=3800
batt_warning_interval=30
splash_delay=35

EDIT: I see in my new tx.ini file from the latest file system that values are now different:

batt_alarm=4000
batt_critical=3800

Although the critical level is the same, may be I should push it to 4.0 for my NiMH batteries
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 17:03 by RandMental.

More
27 Dec 2013 12:35 - 27 Dec 2013 12:36 #17088 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo8s loses TX.INI protocol HW config
Hi PB, (or anyone else)

Some advise please - why would Deviation write None in my tx.ini file after switching the Devo8 off and on? This happened a few times (not every time) while I was testing the DMS2/DSMx binding issues, and then suddenly I have all protocols marked with a *(not available) even for the CRYF chip.

The template have these all correctly configured but commented out, so it not no reloading the template, but is writing "None" to these lines. The rest of the file looks as it was before,no changes.

The Devo8 was on the charger, so it could not be a low battery/voltage issue.

enable-cyrf6936=None
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=None
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=None
has_pa-cc2500=1
enable-nrf24l01=None
has_pa-nrf24l01=0

Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 12:36 by RandMental.

More
27 Dec 2013 13:43 #17090 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo8s loses TX.INI protocol HW config
That setting isn't editable by the Tx. The only way you'd get that result is memory corruption (probably a buffer overrun). If you can narrow down what is doing it, that would help debug it.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:08 #17096 by RandMental
Hi PB

I was testing the DSM2/DSMx binding proces with a Spektrum DSMX satelite plugged into a 3GX FBL unit on the bench, trying to undestand why some Bind codes seems to work better than others. Devo8 was on the charger, so low voltage is not an issue and there is nothing in the crash file.

The steps leading to this happening 6-7 times over a 30 minute period.

1) Use Heli model with DMS2 or DSMx protocol, 6,7 or 8 channels.
2) Go through the bind process, remove bind plug, switch-off RX and ON again see if it binds again. 60% of the time it won't bind again.

3) If it binds again switch-off the RX and then Devo8, wait 10 Seconds Devo on RX on, see if it binds.

4) Try different bind codes, on DSM2 and then DSMx, see if that makes a difference in the rebinding. I also changed the number of channels to 6,7 and 8, as changing the protocol to DMSx or DSM2, it defaults 7.

Unfortunately I could find no pattern or trend on the Binding side except not to trust DSM2/DSMx at all to rebind. The only real result of these tests is that I got the "None" in the tx.ini file quite a few times.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:12 #17098 by RandMental

RandMental wrote: ....switch-off the RX and then Devo8, wait 10 Seconds Devo on RX on, see if it binds.

Important is that after it happened the first two times, I made sure that I wait 10 seconds or more after switching the Devo on or off before I do anything to make sure the write and read processes after-and during power cycling completes.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:16 - 27 Dec 2013 15:16 #17099 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Devo8s loses TX.INI protocol HW config

RandMental wrote: ...
The Devo8 was on the charger, so it could not be a low battery/voltage issue.

enable-cyrf6936=None
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=None
has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=None
has_pa-cc2500=1
enable-nrf24l01=None
has_pa-nrf24l01=0

RM I had the same thing last night. Was playing with my HiSky FBL-80 when I realized it wouldn't bind. I went into the modelxx.ini and every protocol had an * in front of it. So I entered USB mode and used Notepadd++ to edit tx.ini and I found the same thing you have above. I cannot recreate the steps so I can't file a bug report.

Mine is a Devo10+nrf24L01 installed.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2013 15:16 by WheresWaldo.

More
27 Dec 2013 16:07 #17107 by PhracturedBlue
ok, so I believe I found the issue:
1) set the tx.ini properly
2) recalibrate the screen or sticks (switching to a different model # will also work)
3) verify the tx.ini is busted (it should be)
4) build the latest release of deviation (checked in just now)
5) repeat 1 & 2
6) verify tx.ini is OK

More
27 Dec 2013 17:01 #17116 by RandMental
Hi PB, Would this bug have affected the DSM2/X binding and rebinding and an existing, live connection?

I guess what I am asking is when do this code that you changed run (the RBE optimisation)? Can it affect an existing live connection to a model by killing the SPI link with the RX module?

I need to understand what I should retest to restore confidence in the DSMX/DSM2 protocol and binding process

More
27 Dec 2013 17:04 #17118 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Devo8s loses TX.INI protocol HW config
Wish I was home so I could test this. If RM doesn't get to it I will be home about 7:30 pm GMT-5.

More
27 Dec 2013 18:17 #17129 by PhracturedBlue
The bug will happen whenever writing a tx.ini file. The file is written whenever a parameter has changed, so any recalibration or changing the current model#. That is why i asked you to test something very specific. It is unrelated to DSM2/DSMX, and will not affect a running Tx (since the tx.ini is only loaded once)

I don't know why all of a sudden there is all this DSM difficulty. The code to support it hasn't changed in a longtime as far as I know, and there have been very few DSM related issues since 3.0 was released.

Note that Deviation will not generally reconnect to a model after a Tx power-cycle (that is if you have a mid-flight reboot, it is generally unrecoverable). This is because Deviation assigns new channels every time it powers on. Rebooting the Rx should rebind immediately.

More
27 Dec 2013 18:17 #17130 by PhracturedBlue
Also, you could go back to 3.0 and see if you see the binding problem there. That would indicate whether this is a regression or a long-standing bug

More
27 Dec 2013 18:53 #17136 by RandMental
Thanks, will do these tests tomorrow, It's almost 9pm this side.

More
28 Dec 2013 07:46 - 28 Dec 2013 07:47 #17254 by RandMental
I have now tested for over an hour on the bench, using a Devo8s and the latest source build from bibucket.

Using DSMx and DSM2, 6ch's into a AR600 Spektrum receiver, I get very positive results and did not have one failure. (I have not yet gone back to the official V3.0.0 release due to the positive results with this latest build)

After binding, I can cycle the receiver power as many times as I want, I get immediate re-connection - that is obviously good news and is what is required for potential brownouts and loss of connections during flight.

Interestingly, I can also power cycle the TX (with and without power cycling the RX) and the TX and RX still reconnects almost immediately. It thus seems that our DSM2/DSMx implementation (tends to) selects the same channels/sequence after switch-on, rather that searching for the best/clean channels as I believe the DSM2/X Spektrum tx's do.

After an hour I cannot believe that is coincidence, as we have a few fixed and portable hotspot Wifi networks around so there is some 2,4G noise around.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2013 07:47 by RandMental.

More
28 Dec 2013 15:32 #17295 by PhracturedBlue

RandMental wrote: Interestingly, I can also power cycle the TX (with and without power cycling the RX) and the TX and RX still reconnects almost immediately. It thus seems that our DSM2/DSMx implementation (tends to) selects the same channels/sequence after switch-on, rather that searching for the best/clean channels as I believe the DSM2/X Spektrum tx's do.

Do not rely on this. We also do a best-channel search. In your bench environment, it is likely we continually choose the same 3 channels (likely there isn't much narrow-band noise and you get the 1st 3). Our algorithm is not the same as the one Spektrum uses (I guess), but that doesn't mean you should rely on it in the field.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds