Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1

More
23 Feb 2014 13:46 - 23 Feb 2014 13:50 #20788 by RandMental
Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1 was created by RandMental
I have inadvertently upgrade GCC compiler of the MINGW environment on my WIN7-64bit machine to V4.8.1.

When trying to build the emulator I get the following:

$ make TARGET=emu_devo8 WINDOWS=1
make: *** No rule to make target `c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.7.2/include/
stdint.h', needed by `objs/emu_devo8-w32/channels.o'. Stop.

Clearly it is looking for the original 4.7.2 path, but how do I update it to the new 4.8.1 path? I couldn't find hard-coded paths in the deviation makefiles, and I don't know enough about of MINGW to change the environment's paths.

Before I pull the plug and do a full reinstallation, any advise would be appreciated to get the emulator build again. (The firmware builds without any problems)

RM
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 13:50 by RandMental.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2014 14:55 - 23 Feb 2014 14:56 #20789 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1
RandMental, I did the same thing but did it slightly different. I installed the 1.1 VM made sure it worked then downloaded mingw-get-setup.exe. When you run it for the first time it will tell you that it is already installed and that you should use that copy, but it will give you the option to reinstall. Once installed and running you just need to ask it to search for updates and most of your environment will be upgraded.

I say most because arm-none-eabi will still be at the old version. I then downloaded the zip of the current gnu arm branch and extracted it over the top of the /MinGW/stm32/arm-non-eabi. I could then add the nano-specs compiler option and everything is working perfectly, I have built all emulators as well as the dfu for my devo10 and it has never crashed on me.

Please mind you, I am not a developer and did this by trial and error until it worked.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 14:56 by WheresWaldo.

More
23 Feb 2014 19:21 - 23 Feb 2014 20:14 #20798 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1
Hi Waldo

I did the ARM upgrade to 4.8, that works fine and I compile the firmware with the nano options. It is the GCC compiler that compiles for the Windows environment that has not installed correctly.

I'll give it a try to de- and reinstall the new GCC 4.8.

EDIT: Nope that did not help, still looking for a 4.7.2 path!

EDIT2: Fixed the issue (for now) by copying 4.8.1 into a directory called 4.7.2 - now it compiles :cheer:

Cheers.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 20:14 by RandMental.

More
24 Feb 2014 15:01 #20829 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1
Note: I just moved to gcc 4.8.1 with the nano-stdlib.

Deviation will no longer compile with older GCC that doe not support nano.
I have updated the readme accordingly, but everyone using a summon-arm or yagarto build will need to upgrade

More
24 Feb 2014 15:41 #20830 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Upgrade to GCC 4.8.1
Thanks PB, that is great news

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds