External modules for the Taranis

More
05 May 2014 18:46 #22917 by Freezywilly
External modules for the Taranis was created by Freezywilly
I have a question but please see this thread
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159915

Deviatontx is talking about a port to the
Taranis. Right now the multimode module for the Devo is under advanced development and a few comments have been made about a port for the Taranis.
Since the Taranis has an external module bay
and all protocols are based on the module installed. The author of the above post
shows a clever way of making a custom module. In this case it was for the HiSky
protocol.

HiSky has now indicated that they will provide info on their present and future protocol and are getting onboard for the
deviationtx project.
What I would like to know is if the multimodule could be used, as is, or used as
the basis for modules to be installed in the external case. This case is standard and several protocols are already implemented. I, for one, may never use all of the capabilities of the multimodule but
it is an interesting approach.
It has been indicated it could be installed in the Taranis but I don't know how far that has proceded. I would think that external modules would have their place.
Yes, this is a more expensive approach but I would like comments on it and any other ideas that come up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2014 00:22 #22983 by Freezywilly
Replied by Freezywilly on topic External modules for the Taranis
The WL toys new protocol has been released.
The ball is in deviation's court now.

More
08 May 2014 01:15 #22984 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic External modules for the Taranis
I've looked into this already, and the sort answer is no.
There is only a single control pin (PPM) and it is a 5V pin (we need 3.3V for the a7105 (the nrf24L01 is 5V tolerant on its inputs, didn't check the CC2500)
Building a module that would plug into the back of the Taranis would require something much more complicated that the 'multimod'
Instead, I am connecting to the debug header on the main-board to get pins to connect to the multimod.

As far as the 'WL toys new protocol being released' are you talking about the v977? If so it is being worked on.

More
08 May 2014 12:48 #23005 by Freezywilly
Thank you for the info.
Since HiSky is still in development mode there are many unknowns at this time.
The external module was an idea that you showed is only possible with a total new design and maybe a cable and connector from the debug header out to the external bay. Is this an approach, (who knows at this time) How your new module is connected is still an area that many can offer ideas.
As far as the protocol for the V977 it is the protocol for a family of which the V977 is one.

More
08 May 2014 13:52 #23007 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic External modules for the Taranis
I designed a multimod that is specifically sized to fit in the Taranis bay. I run a ribbon cable from inside the Tx to the module bay and plug it in there, so yes it is removable. Unfortunately, soldering to the debug pin is not trivial due to using 1mm spaced pins. I don't actually have it working yet though. I need a total of 4 signals to control the multi-module. At the moment, I have only found 3 I can use so far. There is an additional pin I may be able to use, but I don't think it has the correct voltage to work here.

More
08 May 2014 21:12 #23034 by Freezywilly
For the fun of it I did a search for 1 mm
connectors. Having not seen the debug port I can only offer what I found.
www.Mill-Max.com Mill-Max mfg Corp.
Just maybe this is an answer. Might be easier than trying to solder direct.
Take a look if you have time

More
08 May 2014 21:15 #23035 by Freezywilly

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds