Shared repository?

More
28 Dec 2014 05:54 - 01 Mar 2015 22:37 #27286 by mwm
Shared repository? was created by mwm
I've been trying to keep track of changes in multiple people's repositories/pull requests lately, and it's driving me a bit crazy.
In order to deal with this, I've created a team on bitbucket and cloned a copy of PhracturedBlue's repository into it .

My hope is that the people whose repos I'm trying to keep track of will start merging changes into this. I'll be doing that with mine very soon. If you're interested in doing so, please pm me here with your bitbucket id.

And yes, if PhraccturedBlue asks, I'll definitely turn the team & repos over to him!

Edit PB: I have agreed that mwm's repo is now the primary source code, and the nightly autobuilder will build from here. Downloads are available here:
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/13-nightly-builds

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2015 22:37 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2014 10:53 #27288 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Shared repository?
You may add me to your team, id: Indigo1

If I understand you correctly, you want completed changes merged into a group repository: deviationtx / deviation

More
28 Dec 2014 23:12 #27304 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Shared repository?
You can add me - hexfet.

I'm not too familiar with mercurial. How should we push changes?

What do you think about keeping this repo consistent with the pull requests on PB's repo? It would be good to have a place to get a build that should be similar to the next official release.

Along that line, is there a way on bitbucket to pull a repo's pull requests to your local fork? On github pull requests can be pulled with git, but the closest thing I've found on bitbucket is the api to get a pull request as a patch ( example ).

More
04 Jan 2015 16:31 #27478 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Shared repository?
I thought I was subscribed to this thread (now fixed), so missed hexfet's request. You've been added. Sorry for the delay.

I've written documentation on how to add pull requests to Bitbucket repositories. It can be downloaded from this thread .

I covered - or think I did - your two questions in the Advanced topics section of that introduction. There are instructions for how to create the same pull request in both repositories with your changes in them. The only way I know of to copy a pull request to a Bitbucket repository is via a pull to your local copy then a push back to it.

More
07 Jan 2015 23:46 - 07 Jan 2015 23:52 #27561 by mwm
I've started nightly builds from the tip. You can download them from GDrive

Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 23:52 by mwm. Reason: Fix tag close.

More
18 Feb 2015 01:33 #28771 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Shared repository?
Can you add me also? I did majority of my contribution under the 'rivig' name, but recently decided to switch to 'victzh' to avoid confusion.

More
18 Feb 2015 01:47 #28772 by mwm
OK, you should be added now. Please PM me an email address either here or on bitbucket so I can add you to the developers mail list that will be getting jenkins reports as soon as I set it up.

General rules: please submit a pull request for a review from your own clone before committing. Get approval from at least one other team member before merging. You might also do a pull on the team repository before merging, just to see if there's a change that might break the build.

Take some time to review pull requests yourself. The idea is to avoid problems - if you spot a bug, or there's a faster or smaller way to do something, comment. But don't bikeshed: if you make a suggestion and the person explains why they don't accept it, if you can't spot a flaw in their explanation, approve the code as is. They are donating it and will be the person hg blames and presumably the first person queried if there's a problem, so let them do it their way. If it really bothers you, write your own version of the pull request so hg blames you.

These are open for discussion.

More
18 Feb 2015 01:59 #28774 by victzh
Sure, the rules are quite reasonable. I do software dev for a living, so I have no problem adapting to any style of repo management (as long as it's not insane ;-) ).

More
18 Feb 2015 05:03 #28787 by victzh
Can the info about the team's repository and nightly builds address be put somewhere more visible? People at rcgroups have an impression that no development is going on.

I know that you are not an admin of this forum, but something should be done, otherwise people will lose interest to the project.

More
18 Feb 2015 05:27 #28789 by victzh
Can I edit the deviationtx/deviation/wiki/Home page to add information on nightly builds?

More
18 Feb 2015 05:30 #28790 by mwm
Sure. Feel free to announce it wherever you'd like. I just did a chain of updates:

team deviationTx/deviation wiki: now points to the nightly builds on the drive, and has info for developers.

team deviationTx/deviation README now points people to the wiki for nightly builds and developer info.

PhracturedBlue/deviation Wiki home page now points to the team deviationTx/deviation repository.

Those are all the things I know I can update. I don't know anyone who can update the deviationtx.com site, other than via forum posts.

More
18 Feb 2015 05:32 #28791 by mwm

victzh wrote: Can I edit the deviationtx/deviation/wiki/Home page to add information on nightly builds?

Not anymore, because it's already there. But yes, please feel free to update the wiki (or the README) as you feel appropriate.

More
18 Feb 2015 05:33 #28792 by mwm
If you make a post about the team deviationTx repo and nightlies on another forum, please mention it on this thread so we can participate!

More
18 Feb 2015 05:53 #28794 by victzh

More
18 Feb 2015 11:39 - 18 Feb 2015 11:39 #28806 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Shared repository?
Can you say which repository will be 'main' for future development? I don't understand anything. There are several peoples that try to continue this project, but who will be main? Without that I do not see any perspective to Deviation project development.

Who will takes full responsibility for the project?
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 11:39 by vlad_vy.

More
18 Feb 2015 15:00 #28816 by mwm
The only one who can say which will be the future repository is PBR, and he hasn't been heard from for a while. Last time he did this, when he came back he copied RB2102's (?) repository into his.

The "team" repository is just that: an attempt to get all the people continuing development working together. The rules are pretty minimal, and designed to make it easy for PBR to evaluate when he comes back. I'm hoping PBR will adopt the code, but do it by just moving his work to it, rather than keeping the repository closed. He's already an admin on the repository.

I run the team project because I created the team & repositories. I'm inclusive about things: if you've had pull requests accepted by PBR or the team and agree to follow the rules on the team repository wiki page , you can have a commit bit.

However, I only have that authority because I created the repositories. If the team decides they want someone else to run it, or a more democratic process, or a different set of rules, I'll follow the teams wishes. And of course, PBR will always have the last say.

The other thing I'm doing to try and keep the project alive is the deviationTx foundation. That's still a proposal for a non-profit organization that would take over administering the project, among other things. But if nobody is interested, it won't happen. So if you'd like to see something set up that could accept donations to help develop deviationTx (again, among other things), make a comment on that thread .

More
27 Feb 2015 06:41 #29161 by MacGyverek
Replied by MacGyverek on topic Shared repository?
I found on gdrive your new firmware for DEVOs... I have a question about using deviation-emu... Usually was *.exe file, now is *.elf. How use this in Windows??

More
27 Feb 2015 13:44 #29163 by mwm
Those are actually binaries for my build platform. They're a bug, in that I didn't realize until after things were set up that that's what I was providing. Cross-compiling for windows didn't work due to what looks like bugs in the toolchain, so I put it off until someone asked about them. Congratulations, I'll now take a second look at this.

I could tell you how to set up a VM to run those on, but frankly, it's probably easier to set up things to build them yourself. And running the emulator on a VM isn't very pleasant, which is why I changed build platforms.

So I'll look into getting windows binaries built, but I'm willing to help you do either of the above if you want.

More
28 Feb 2015 16:48 #29208 by jesmail
Replied by jesmail on topic Shared repository?
MWM;

someone else asked about the elf file. I was trying to figure out what I was missing. Anyway look forward to see the windows binaries when they are ready.

More
01 Mar 2015 01:06 #29221 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Shared repository?
This is the build portion of my autobuild script (perl):
if($build) {
    printf("building...\n");
    my $opts = "";
    $opts = "INCLUDE_FS=1" if(1 || $version);

system("make distclean; rm *.zip 2>/dev/null");
    if(system("make $opts release")) {
        die "Failed to build release\n";
    }
    foreach my $target ("emu_devo8", "emu_devo10", "emu_devo7e", "emu_devo12") {
        if(system("make TARGET=$target $opts WINDOWS=1 CROSS=i586-mingw32msvc- zip")) {
            die "Failed to build $target\n";
        }
    }
}
I do this on Ubuntu 14.04 with a recent gcc-arm-embedded and installed 'mingw32'

I also need to build fltk and portaudio for windows to have those available. After that it 'just works'

How do you run the build-deamon? I noticed a Jenkins key, do you use this as part of the build? I only have my home server available for auto-builds, not anything I can share.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds