Shortcut button for Bind

More
14 Jun 2015 16:03 #34061 by phantom8
Shortcut button for Bind was created by phantom8
IMO, the Bind function is one of the most used one when switching models. Is there a way to have a shortcut button to activate it. I know that we can use long press button to call certain menus (setup via Main page config), but is it possible to call the Bind function instead?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2015 18:03 #34068 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Shortcut button for Bind
Which protocols are you using that require binding to switch models. Most of them only require binding when you initially connect the model, and then will connect without binding in the future. If this isn't the behavior you're seeing, there's probably a bug somewhere.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Jun 2015 19:04 #34071 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Shortcut button for Bind
I agree bind button normlly use it only once when setting up the model, better keep it deep in the menu, so not accidentally erase the bind etc.

More
15 Jun 2015 03:18 - 15 Jun 2015 03:18 #34094 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Shortcut button for Bind

mwm wrote: Which protocols are you using that require binding to switch models. Most of them only require binding when you initially connect the model, and then will connect without binding in the future. If this isn't the behavior you're seeing, there's probably a bug somewhere.

Almost all toy quads will require rebinding when inserting new batteries. Some protocols automatic rebind when switching models, some don't.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 03:18 by phantom8.

More
15 Jun 2015 03:20 - 15 Jun 2015 03:21 #34095 by phantom8

Fernandez wrote: I agree bind button normlly use it only once when setting up the model, better keep it deep in the menu, so not accidentally erase the bind etc.

If the bind button shortcut is implemented the same way as shortcut menus, there is no chance of accidentally rebind, 'cos you'll have to set it up via Main page config before you can even use it.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 03:21 by phantom8.

More
15 Jun 2015 06:00 #34100 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Shortcut button for Bind
I have several "toy grade" quads that need to bind every time however they all do it automatically at power up, I switch to the model file, turn off then power back up. This also resets the timer between battery changes...

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
15 Jun 2015 09:12 #34106 by phantom8
Looks like not many needed this feature. Well, I'll try to implement it and see how it turns out.

More
15 Jun 2015 12:44 #34113 by phantom8
Just added a BIND shortcut which can be mapped via Main page config. Have successfully tested under Devo7e. If anyone is interested, let me know & I'll upload it.

More
15 Jun 2015 15:28 #34123 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Shortcut button for Bind
I would recommend posting the code or submitting a pull-request. I'm not saying I would actually accept such a thing (can't say without looking at it), but making to code available would be valuable for the future. Past experience shows it is unlikely you will want to maintain this patch going forward as we continue to make new Deviation releases.

More
15 Jun 2015 17:04 - 15 Jun 2015 17:09 #34127 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Shortcut button for Bind
Don't hesitate to post your code for review phantom8. Merging this (if accepted) would be a great addition for toy quads and planes to (the F939 rx needs to be bound each time), actually I use the model setup shortcut, but if we could reach the bind button directly, it would be nice.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 17:09 by blackmoon.

More
15 Jun 2015 17:59 #34128 by mwm

phantom8 wrote: Almost all toy quads will require rebinding when inserting new batteries. Some protocols automatic rebind when switching models, some don't.

While I don't buy a lot of toy grade quads, my experience is just the opposite. Only the very old one - my first gen V911 - require binding every time you change the battery. I've seen reports that newer V911's don't need that, and I know my V959 - almost as old as the V911 - didn't, and the V323 doesn't. Neither does either version of the Proto X (though the SLT is unflyable with deviation).

And as noted, several deviation protocols have a "automatically bind on power up" feature that is close to what you want.

The real issue as far as I'm concerned is space on the 7E. It's already missing features, and the new toggle code hasn't been merged because it doesn't fit on the 7E. I've also had to switch back to GCC 4.8 from 4.9 because the current build using 4.9 doesn't fit on the 7E. So I worry about adding small features.

More
15 Jun 2015 19:37 #34131 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Shortcut button for Bind
Sure, but (a) as I've saidI don't want the 7e's limitations to limit Deviation's progress. at some point in the near future we'll need to address that, and (b) having the code available gives more options than not having it available. So again, I recommend posting it either as a patch or pull-request.

More
16 Jun 2015 02:04 - 16 Jun 2015 02:05 #34147 by phantom8
I've never done a pull request. I'll take a look & see how it's done. If it's too complicated, I may just post a diff on the source code.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 02:05 by phantom8.

More
16 Jun 2015 07:31 #34168 by phantom8
Added a pull request for bind-shortcut. The changes only apply to 7e/10. Don't know how other transmitter works.

More
16 Feb 2017 12:21 #59187 by derFrickler
Replied by derFrickler on topic Shortcut button for Bind

phantom8 wrote: Added a pull request for bind-shortcut. The changes only apply to 7e/10. Don't know how other transmitter works.

Is there any info if this has been merged into deviationtx? Can't find the corresponding pull request...

More
16 Feb 2017 14:37 #59193 by mwm
This PR was done on bitbucket, and was rejected before 5.0 was released. You'll probably have to look at bitbucket to find that discussion.

More
16 Feb 2017 14:43 #59194 by derFrickler
Replied by derFrickler on topic Shortcut button for Bind
Thanks, just found it on bitbucket.

To bad it was rejected, would have been a nice thing for our small H8 quads with Bayang protocol.
Like that i have to reboot the Devo on each battery change on the quad or run trough the menus.

More
16 Feb 2017 15:20 #59195 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Shortcut button for Bind
I think it is much easier to reboot the DEVO, I do it all the time.
It clears the timers too...

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds