Deviation for Google summer code?

More
10 Feb 2016 05:38 #42914 by mwm
Google just opened organization registrations for the 2016 summer of code. I'd register deviation as an organization, but we can't get a project approved (meaning Google would pay the student working on it!) without at least two mentors.

Anyone else willing to mentor a student working on deviation?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2016 08:51 #42920 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic Deviation for Google summer code?
As a first year computer science student i can say i'd love to work on such a thing :)
I hope this takes off and you find one more mentor :)

More
11 Feb 2016 19:48 #43014 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Deviation for Google summer code?
As mentioned in the other thread, I'm more than happy to help. I'm still unclear if I have the ability to but I'm more than willing and do have the exp with working with students, it's my coding I'm most concerned isnt up to a point I'm able to do the job...

Is there an EXACT list of where I need to be to be able to provide the necessary "mentoring"? I've looked into the GSoC project as a whole and am excited about seeing devo working with it and I'm willing to put in time / work to get myself to a point I can help if that's what needed. If there's someone else willing and able and who'd be better might as well go with them but if the whole thing hinges on someone stepping up... I'd like to, I'm able to work with the kids well and I do have minimal coding exp and can read / review code no problems...

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
12 Feb 2016 23:56 #43066 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Deviation for Google summer code?
We must have to have two sponsors. In my experience, that's mostly in case one of them is unavailable for some reason, as it's all volunteer work.

FAQ for GSoC is at developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq . There's s section for mentors including a link to the mentors manual. That page is the place to start for both mentors and students who want to participate.

More
14 Feb 2016 10:46 #43108 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Deviation for Google summer code?
I think I maybe able to help. May I ask what is your plan in using this GSoC?

More
14 Feb 2016 13:09 #43110 by mwm
The point of GSoC is to help a student gain experience in working with open source communities. That's the ultimate goal. If we can get code added to deviation, that's a nice benefit, but not the goal. Personally, i think adding or helping a deviation developer would be an enormous benefit to the project.

Given a second possible mentor, I'd want to discuss possible student projects. I have some things in mind, and we can go through the feature requests in the buy tracker to see what else turns up, and I assume the other mentor would have some things in mind as well, but they'd all needed to be things we both felt we could mentor.

More
15 Feb 2016 02:05 #43135 by richardclli
I have something in mind that can make use of student help to help out as well. I think currently deviation changes are all tested by volunteers, so there are not much systematic testing applied to harden deviation source code for better reliability. I think having some projects to build systematic testing procedures and methodologies is goo to the community.

More
15 Feb 2016 02:08 #43136 by richardclli
Ah, something about myself. I am a business man with a PhD. in computing, occasionally my University will invite me to deliver courses to MSC students. Although I may not very familiar with deviation, I have plenty of experiences in mentoring students.

More
19 Feb 2016 06:48 #43282 by mwm
Ok, I've done as much of the application as possible. Unfortunately, I let it run until late. We won't be approved unless there's a second mentor/admin signed up by 1900 UCT on the 19th.

richardcli, check your PMs for instructions on best way to do this.

Anyone else, PM me with your email address so I can get a request sent to you.

Frankly, deviationTx is an odd enough organization that I don't hold out a lot of hope for this. But hey, if we don't finish it we know we won't get approval!

More
19 Feb 2016 07:05 #43284 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic Deviation for Google summer code?
I sincerely hope the application goes through :) I'll be one of the first people applying if it does :D

More
19 Feb 2016 09:37 - 19 Feb 2016 09:39 #43297 by mwm
Well, we've met the requirements for an organization. I'm hoping that being an embedded, bare metal project with real time requirements makes us unique enough to attract some attention.

But the next step is waiting until the 29th, when they announce which organizations have been accepted.

FWIW, the initial projects page is at bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation/wiki/Project%20Ideas . If we had a good link to the Wiki from the deviationTx site, I'd make it more prominent. But without that, it's no more likely to be found than it is if I linked it on the front page.

Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 09:39 by mwm.

More
29 Feb 2016 21:10 #43911 by mwm
Bad news - we were not accepted. They did ask us to try again next year, but that's probably just a form response.

More
01 Mar 2016 12:00 #43944 by richardclli
Too bad. Well I think we need some plan to make a release version as many deviarion users need a stable version for daily use. I believed this maybe difficult without PB. But I think the community has such a need.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds