Suggested changes, firmware part 1: targets

More
28 Mar 2016 16:08 #45344 by mwm
Well, sort of. The idea is to make the build as independent of some particular Tx as possible, in order to make using modified hardware (the "Ultimate 7E" being a particular target). This is done by moving transmitter-specific settings in two directions:

The first one - inspired by RF modules letting you pick pins - is to move as much of the hardware information into the hardware config file. We can already specify pin names, so we ought to be able to have specify which pins have inputs on them, and hopefully what the input is. Anything else This hasn't really gotten much past the idea of a notion, so it's not clear how well this will work. And clearly some things - like the button test screen on the color transmitters - won't be nearly as pretty.

The other thing is to move things into build choices. That we're already doing in part, as each transmitter defines things it uses. Even things that clearly can't change - like emulator vs. devo and the stm32 stuff - can't change. Probably others as well. But hopefully we can reduce this to a set of defines, then have target files - instead of directories - that set things up for each transmitter. As well as a "custom" target that lets users pick the things they want. Having this cover features is a way to keep the 7E around for a bit longer. For instance, take out MM support (already conditional) and telemetry and it'll shrink, and then people who need those can create a custom build. Which I'm already working on making easier.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.023 seconds