Question about coding conventions post Docker

More
20 Apr 2016 18:31 #46890 by silpstream
Hi guys,

I was wondering how we should be handling feature additions moving forward within the code. Given that mwm and PhracturedBlue has started the Docker build environment, and it seems that they'll be adding the ability to turn features on/off at compile time, should we be dealing with features from a #define standpoint and have everything in target_def.h?

If so would we also extend pin settings to the .h file and do away with stuff like has-pa or has-"module" as these can also be options that goto the makefile CFLAGS from the snack gui? When should I be using each file (.h vs .ini)?

Just thinking about things I'd like to work on and when I need to maintain hardware.ini compatibility, I really much prefer using #define in target_defs.h.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 06:48 #46919 by mwm
The build-selectable stuff was my plan. I don't know if PB thinks it's a good idea or not.

But that was for software features, not hardware configuration. The idea was to try and keep the 7e supported by dropping less important features in the official build, but make it easy for those who really needed them to turn off other things instead.

Hardware I wanted to go the other way, and move as much of the stuff that changes between builds into the hardware config file. That way, people wanting to upgrade their hardware would be less likely to need a custom build. See, for instance, the thread on getting a single 3 way on the 7e.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
21 Apr 2016 07:18 #46921 by silpstream
Replied by silpstream on topic Question about coding conventions post Docker
I guess I might have been jumping ahead and assumed that you guys were going to move away from providing binary files and instead deploy everything through the docker build environment as I saw numerous references to opentx. As far my experience there goes, they don't offer binaries on the firmware, just opentx companion which I would then select all the options I want and install the resulting firmware.

While I have preferences for #define as it makes things easier and cleaner, the ini files work as well just in a more complex manner. For example the whole extra switches/buttons has code to ignore sources defined in 2 files, had we used #define, the respective switches/buttons could have been sorted in just the capabilities.h file. It could have been simpler, but the fact that capabilities.h is used in macro defines to auto setup switches, stops us from having a conditional to just omit the respective switch (unless we copy the entire block). Also we end up with a lot of bitwise operation tracking to make sure that our masks are correct. It took me some time to track that flow... LOL.

Either way, hopefully we get more feedback and there can be some consensus. For now, I'll just follow along based on what's already been done, and rehash the code later if convention changes.

More
21 Apr 2016 12:45 - 21 Apr 2016 12:47 #46935 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Question about coding conventions post Docker
I think that downloading 1GB in order to put Deviation on your transmitter is too much to ask of every single user (as is the requirement that you can run Docker...not everyone can, like those on WinXP or any 32bit Windows). Anyhow, I'm falling more along mwm's point of view. The main reason to enable build-switches is to extend the life of the 7e/f7/f4 transmitters as long as possible. I do not expect it to be a common occurance to need a custom build, but one that more advanced users may choose to make
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 12:47 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds