Authority to access Deviation User manuals repo

More
25 Apr 2016 23:32 - 26 Apr 2016 00:13 #47194 by Arnold
I'm trying to edit the user manuals repo on git and getting "Unauthorized Access" errors when I do a pull request. Github support says I should try asking for permission to access the repo, even though I have already forked, cloned, committed and synced several times over the last few weeks.
Help, please. :unsure:

<edit:> I have already tried resetting the SSH key and relinking it with my Git account.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 00:13 by Arnold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2016 00:42 #47197 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Authority to access Deviation User manuals repo
The problem you are listing appears to be a github authentication issue. if you just want to clone our repo, you can do:
git clone github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual.git

I don't see any forks of the deviation-manual page by you, but once you are logged in to github on the website you should be able to fork it, then go to that fork and get the url. here you'll need your user-id if you want to be able to push changes to your repo in the future:
userid@github.com/userid/deviation-manual.git

(or you can wait until you do the push to add that info)

More
26 Apr 2016 01:17 - 26 Apr 2016 01:38 #47200 by Arnold
OK, I fixed it. My mistake. Something I misunderstood.
A simple pull request has been submitted just too ease my mind

Merged the change into Master, since I could.

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 01:38 by Arnold. Reason: Merged change.

More
26 Apr 2016 02:13 #47201 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Authority to access Deviation User manuals repo
i don't think you submitted a pull request. I don't see a fork in the repo, and I don't see any pull requests here:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual

and you do not have commit access to the main repository.
What commands did you execute?

More
26 Apr 2016 02:31 - 26 Apr 2016 02:43 #47203 by Arnold
Take a look at this link:
github.com/Treadmule/deviation-manual/pull/1

I believe that shows I did the Pull Request and then I merged my change into the master repo.
I see what you are saying, but I can't explain it.

<edit> I am using the GitHub desktop app, rather than the CLI/Terminal, FWIW.
<edit#2> Now I see my fork (Install-edits), where it didn't appear previously. Maybe Git needs time to "bake". I dunno.

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 02:43 by Arnold.

More
26 Apr 2016 02:51 #47206 by PhracturedBlue
I've never used the app, but to submit a pull request go to the central repo here:
github.com/DeviationTX/deviation-manual

And press the 'new pull request' button. Then make sure you select the deviationtx repo as the destination and your repo as the source (sorry, I can't actually test it since I don't have any pending changes, but hopefully it is obvious what to do)

More
26 Apr 2016 03:26 - 26 Apr 2016 03:39 #47207 by Arnold
HHHmmmmmm...
I see the button and when I click it, I get a page to Compare between a base branch and a head branch. I don't seen anything about source and destination. And, since I've created a new branch for the simple change I've just made to the "install" document, my branch does not show up as a choice for comparison (with the master) on that web page. So I can't go forward with this.

<Edit> This seems to be a lot more problematic than it ought to be. Maybe I should not use the desktop app and work out how to do this another way.

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 03:39 by Arnold.

More
26 Apr 2016 03:48 #47208 by PhracturedBlue
sorry. try it from your repo. I see that it works if you select 'Create Pull Request' from this page:
github.com/Treadmule/deviation-manual

Just make sure you select DevaitionTx/deviation-manual as the 'base fork' and 'Trwadmle/deviation-manual as the 'head fork'

I need to put some instructions on the wiki for using Github I guess

More
26 Apr 2016 04:35 - 26 Apr 2016 04:36 #47211 by Arnold
The "Compare" web page does not see the branch I created for the typos I fixed in the "Install" document. The only branch it sees is the one of the URL change that's been merged already. It does not offer to show my present changes, even though I have committed them in the desktop app.
But, note this:
On that Compare page, you can see a green checkmark along with the comment, "Able to merge". That's how I was able to merge my previous Pull Request.
... sorta like a loaded gun ...

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 04:36 by Arnold.

More
26 Apr 2016 05:16 - 26 Apr 2016 05:41 #47212 by Arnold
At this point, I can do what I set out to do - edit the user manuals and make my changes available for others to evaluate by linking to a page, like this:
github.com/Treadmule/deviation-manual/pull/2

...wrong ...

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 05:41 by Arnold.

More
26 Apr 2016 05:40 #47213 by Arnold
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong,... wrong!
It all looks good when viewing my fork of the repo, but the real repository at Git has not changed. Back to square one.
:blush:

More
26 Apr 2016 12:22 #47235 by mwm

Arnold wrote: Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong,... wrong!
It all looks good when viewing my fork of the repo, but the real repository at Git has not changed. Back to square one.
:blush:

That's actually what we expect. You probably merged your changes back to the master branch in your repository, not back to our repository. You should be able to merge from either the master branch or your new one into our repository.

To do that, click on the "Pull requests" tab and then click on "New pull request". The base fork should be "deviationTx/deviation-manual", base "master". The head fork should be your repository. Selecting either the master branch or your new one should get the changes you made, and github may not let you use one since you merged them. Then click "Create pull request" to actually create the request.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 Apr 2016 18:45 - 26 Apr 2016 18:56 #47251 by Arnold

mom wrote: ... You probably merged your changes back to the master branch in your repository, not back to our repository.

Yes, lesson learned.

... click on the "Pull requests" tab and then click on "New pull request".

On the web page, "DeviationTX/deviation-manual", I see the menu at the top of the window with "| Pull Requests | Issues | Gist" |, If I click on that "Pull Requests", I get a page showing an open Pull Request named "Install Edits2" that I had submitted last night before closing up.

Lower on the page I see what look like tabs with "| Code | Issues | Pull Requests | Wiki | Pulse | Graph |.
So, I'm thinking this is the tab you're talking about. Clicking on that tab brings a page showing "There aren't any open Pull Requests." with the green "New Pull Request" button on the right side of the page. ... wait a minute ... what about the open Pull Request I just saw?
i click on the green button which takes me to the "Compare" page..

The base fork should be "deviationTx/deviation-manual", base "master".

No, I see only, "base: master". Nothing saying "deviationTx/deviation-manual". Clicking on the "base:master" button allows me to choose from other branches, but deviationTx/deviaiton-manual is not among them.
Next to the "base: master" button is another button labelled, "Compare: master" - nothing about head fork.

The head fork should be your repository. Selecting either the master branch or your new one should get the changes you made, and github may not let you use one since you merged them. Then click "Create pull request" to actually create the request.

I see nothing relating to my repo. Clicking on "Compare: master" allows me to again choose from other branches, but nothing is there about my repo or branches.

Perhaps you will be relieved when I say that I think I can see the end of my rope from here. :cheer:

Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 18:56 by Arnold.

More
27 Apr 2016 13:54 #47302 by mwm

Arnold wrote: [quote="mom" post=47235

... click on the "Pull requests" tab and then click on "New pull request".

On the web page, "DeviationTX/deviation-manual", I see the menu at the top of the window with "| Pull Requests | Issues | Gist" |, If I click on that "Pull Requests", I get a page showing an open Pull Request named "Install Edits2" that I had submitted last night before closing up.

The head fork should be your repository. Selecting either the master branch or your new one should get the changes you made, and github may not let you use one since you merged them. Then click "Create pull request" to actually create the request.

I see nothing relating to my repo. Clicking on "Compare: master" allows me to again choose from other branches, but nothing is there about my repo or branches.

That's because you opened the "Pull requests" tab on the wrong repository. You need to open it on your repository, not the deviationTx one. Not really your fault - I didn't tell you which one to open. But this tab is where you create pull requests FROM the repository back to the one it was cloned from, not TO the repository from - well, there's no way to know where from in general.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Apr 2016 15:35 #47313 by PhracturedBlue
I'd like to add a step-by-step with pictures in the wiki at some time. If someone wants to help us out with the manual we should minimize the dependence on being familiar with GIT to do so. I think for code development, this is less critical (it is fair to expect some familiarity withVCS when working on a complicated code base), but accessing and updating the manual should be made as easy as possible.

I wonder if it would be worth setting up the RST plugin for dokuwiki along with the gitbacked plugin. With that setup, the manual could be edited using the wiki framework (though you'd need to use RST syntax, which could be confusing) and we would still have a GIT backed repository. The obvious risk is that we would give up control of the contents to some extent. I am not convinced it would necessarily help to draw more contributors, but I'm open to the idea if there is interest.

More
27 Apr 2016 16:38 #47316 by Arnold

mwm wrote: ...That's because you opened the "Pull requests" tab on the wrong repository. You need to open it on your repository, not the deviationTx one. ...

OK, this sounds much like PB's post #47208 previously.
What I observed, while trying to do this, is that when I'm in my repository at github.com/Treadmule/deviation-manual , and use the Pull Requests tab I can see information about pull requests and the green button, "New pull request". Pressing that button, immediately goes away from my repository to the DeviationTX/deviation-manual repository, Comparing changes page where I can set up those parameters you've outlined. . I can't see how I've done something wrong at this stage. It looks like I'll be learning the same lesson again.

More
27 Apr 2016 16:56 #47318 by Arnold

PhracturedBlue wrote: I'd like to add a step-by-step with pictures in the wiki at some time. If someone wants to help us out with the manual we should minimize the dependence on being familiar with GIT to do so. I think for code development, this is less critical (it is fair to expect some familiarity withVCS when working on a complicated code base), but accessing and updating the manual should be made as easy as possible....

For my part, I agree 100%. I'll do what I can to help.
In the mean time, I've set up a training exercise for myself to learn using git through the command line. That's my last-ditch effort until something better comes along for editing the manual.

More
28 Apr 2016 03:14 - 28 Apr 2016 03:16 #47341 by Arnold
I think I have my first Pull Request sorted out & submitted. Please take a look.
Missing Git Add seems to have been my downfall.

Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 03:16 by Arnold.

More
28 Apr 2016 04:20 #47344 by PhracturedBlue
yes, the request went through. I've looked it over and provided feedback, which is the typical way of discussing a pull request.

Thanks for your effort on this.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds