Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?

More
12 May 2016 16:11 #48283 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
ok, so it is likely possible to put Deviation on the MZ-24 assuming we can identify the screen. The potential issue is that it may not be possible to go back to the stock firmware which is probably a deal-breaker for just about anyone. We would definitely need to reverse engineer the firmware-upload system in order to preserve the ability to go back to stock, and that may be a challenging task. This looks like it would be a contender as a replacement for the 12S, but is probably too pricey to make much headway as a Deviation transmitter. I think one of the Taranis transmitters with a UniversalTx board would be a better candidate (though you would lose the color screen). Or on the cheaper side, the radiolink still looks like a reasonable option.

I'd be curious to play with the MZ-24, but I can't really justify the cost right now given that it is unlikely to become a popular option for Deviation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2016 17:11 #48286 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
Personally i am one of those "You get what you pay for" guys..People get the cheap transmitters then soon find out they don't do what they want and then they have to start modding them by adding switches and removing diodes ect and by the time they get all that done they would have been better off saving up for a bit and getting a higher end tx to start with especially if they are going to be in the hobby for the long haul.

More
12 May 2016 18:20 #48290 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
@magic_marty, extending your logic a bit - people buy cheap-ish transmitters that were intended to work in a specific way and then start cracking it and put third party firmware and add radio modules etc etc. :-)

We all should buy Futaba 18MZ and forget this nightmare - it's cheaper in the long run and it's not hard to save a bit for $3K transmitter and $130 receiver - they work like magic (they say).

More
12 May 2016 20:10 - 13 May 2016 03:58 #48293 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
If I would spend that much money for a transmitter like Graupner MZ18/24, I would probably also have to stick to the EU/DE compatible vendor TX firmware version including it's declaration of confirmation (KE) and not risk loosing it for swapping firmware with DeviationTX.

But that is only a matter of that higher transmitter budget range...

Transmitter wishes as alternative to Devo10 (German): www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/5...ewfull=1#post4062818
Last edit: 13 May 2016 03:58 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
12 May 2016 20:38 #48294 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
Not to mention that the modding is half the fun.
Also, it's hard to find a full featured transmitter in the 7e size, for example.

More
12 May 2016 21:06 - 12 May 2016 21:09 #48296 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?

magic_marty wrote: Personally i am one of those "You get what you pay for" guys..People get the cheap transmitters then soon find out they don't do what they want and then they have to start modding them by adding switches and removing diodes ect and by the time they get all that done they would have been better off saving up for a bit and getting a higher end tx to start with especially if they are going to be in the hobby for the long haul.

i have a higher end tx, a JR pcm9xii, it cost over £450/$650 when i bought it, then another £100+ for the spektrum module and ar7000 when that came out, and since i bought a 7e and installed deviation and a few modules i rarely use it, i only use it for the bigger birds that require more switches that the 7e has (though this will soon change thanks to the ult7e work) so it's not so cut and dried
Last edit: 12 May 2016 21:09 by HappyHarry.

More
12 May 2016 21:22 - 12 May 2016 21:23 #48299 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
The only thing having a big brand expensive transmitter to avoid problems at the club :)
They will laugh at you're devo7e and might see it as a toy and have you'll have to explain over and over that the little unit offers more capabilities than most of the generally used Jr's, futabas, spectrums, ..........

For me I got the unit with the super CP, once found deviation I started using it, for other planes etc. Then no more used my Sanwa RDS8000
Last edit: 12 May 2016 21:23 by Fernandez.

More
12 May 2016 21:52 #48303 by PhracturedBlue
It is clear that we have a general problem.
If you'd like to discuss it, pelase go here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...eries-for-the-future

I'd like to keep this thread focused on the technical aspects from here forward.

More
13 May 2016 11:47 - 13 May 2016 12:22 #48342 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
Thus, I don't understand, there is any sense to continue with MZ-24???

I can use it as is, as well as Futaba 14SG, JR XG11, JR DSX9, Spektrum DX8, Hitec CRX, Futaba 3PKS, Futaba 4PX and so so on... I don't counted all my transmitters and many many vehicles. It's only toys and fun for me. But, right now I haven't free space on my shelving for new toys. It's frustrating me ... Probably I need to kill some toys and free space for others... :lol:

P.S. Last free space on my shelving was occupied by Graupner MZ-24.
Last edit: 13 May 2016 12:22 by vlad_vy.

More
13 May 2016 13:18 #48346 by PhracturedBlue
If you already have it, I would like to see high-res pics of the internals. At the moment I think it is a little too pricey to be a contender. It is too bad they don't have a lower-end radio on the same platform Really Walkera was pretty unique in having everything from the 7e up to the 12S all designed on the same platform.

More
13 May 2016 14:18 - 13 May 2016 14:34 #48350 by vlad_vy
If you look to www.fcc.gov/general/fcc-id-search-page with Grantee Code = SNL, you will find two RF modules only, TM01 and TM-02 (see first message attachments) for all FCC certified Graupner products, both with SPI BUS. So, it possible what all Graupner transmitters (air) use these RF modules. The only question, do they all have enough resources for Deviation???

www.graupner.co.kr/TRANSMITTER
Last edit: 13 May 2016 14:34 by vlad_vy.

More
13 May 2016 15:05 #48352 by Thomas.Heiss
The funny thing is that AFAIK Graupner (SJ) MZ series dropped Spektrum DSM protocol native implementation which was there in Graupner MX20/MC20/MC32 before.

More
13 May 2016 16:01 #48353 by vlad_vy
I don't quite understand what relation has HoTT to DSM??? Any Graupner Tx works with HoTT (Hopping Telemetry Transmission) protocol.

More
18 May 2016 20:09 #48652 by Thomas.Heiss
Yes, there is none.

As I said already some Graupner transmitters (not SJ) used to support the Spektrum DSM native protocol!

More
18 May 2016 22:20 #48659 by HappyHarry
that's because some graupner radio's were rebadged JR models

More
03 Jun 2016 08:09 #49853 by Kumi
Not some, but for a very long time all Graupner radios were produced by JR Propo Japan. The same OEM for Spektrum, afaik.
And probably some agreements with JR and Horizon Hobby were made to use DSM/2/X in them. Note, that "JR-only" radios use different protocol - DMSS.

But some time ago Graupner parted ways with JR and now their radios are made by SJ Propo Korea. So all the new radios have the new HoTT protocol.
BTW I've heard, that Graupner is no longer Graupner, it's only a trade mark of the SJ Propo now.

More
03 Jun 2016 13:09 #49872 by HappyHarry
sj propo = hitec, and yes they purchased the graupner name and ip when graupner went bust, and they also purchased the name/rights to multiplex when they went bust

More
21 Apr 2017 13:21 - 21 Apr 2017 13:27 #61657 by vlad_vy
MZ-18 has absolutely same hardware, even the small pcbs where the knobs and the switches are attached are the same, but with empty places.

MZ-18 (Mode 1) = $163.95 at Air Craft
www.aircraft-world.com/en/p1101258-gr-s1005
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Apr 2017 13:27 by vlad_vy.

More
11 Jun 2017 21:02 #62935 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
Sounds quite interesting!

My Devo10 is well used now, I slowl start to think about a replacement. The Graupnerr is priced at the segment I'm aiming for, what I thin about though: Is it likely to have the HOTT reverse engineered sometimes?

I really don't want to go the taranis way...

More
13 Jun 2017 06:21 #62964 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Graupner MZ-24 as a platform for Deviation?
+1
Graupner MZ18 would be great for deviation

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds