fly multiple planes together with a single TX?

More
29 Jul 2016 03:47 #52250 by Corom
I have an interesting challenge for this group. I'm looking for a way to be able to fly multiple planes over DSM2 from a single TX. This is part of a project to facilitate youth groups to be able to build and fly planes together at low cost.

The way I imagine this working is depicted in the image below. Assume that cell phones would act as controllers that would talk to a magic box that can interface with a TX running Deviation and send it input commands. I'm pretty sure this is possible... But I don't understand the DSM2 protocol or deviation source well enough to know how to independently control multiple planes from a single TX module. Someone on the rcgourps forms had some success using a spectrum dsm module, but support was limited by the modules implementation.

Since Deviation runs its own DSM2 protocol, how would you do it?
What would be the limitations / challenges of such and approach?

Your input is greatly appreciated!
-Corom
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2016 10:37 #52290 by FDR
Interesting idea, but ATM you can't do that with deviation.

First you need to store multiple binding data, and multiplex the commands using that data for each model.
Since protocols use fixed timings, the number of models you could control would be very limited anyway.
Last you would need a way to command the TX on a by model basis.
A lot of development...

A more simple way would be to use receivers with 8 or 12 channels, bound to the same TX, and use only 4 channels per model:
1st model uses Ch 1..4, second uses Ch 5..8, third uses Ch 9..12
This way you don't need to store multiple bind info and switch between the models, but you are limited to 4 channel models.
You can control them through the PPM in function, but AFAIK that is limited to 8 input channels...

More
30 Jul 2016 12:36 #52292 by mwm

FDR wrote: You can control them through the PPM in function, but AFAIK that is limited to 8 input channels...

Fixing that is a SMOP, and one that's been talked about before. The trainer port is on serial pins, so you can use a real serial protocol like S.BUS on it, getting you 16 or more channels. This looks like it might be the easiest part of the project, but I don't think anyone has expressed any interest in implementing it yet. Of course, providing me with interest in such is why I set up a patreon account .

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds