adding metadata to dfu files

More
25 Aug 2016 05:42 #53084 by mwm
adding metadata to dfu files was created by mwm
Some of you may have noticed the pull request from hughsie at github.com/DeviationTX/deviation/pull/34 , and are wondering what's going on.

Hughsie showed up on another project I'm working on asking about how it does firmware updates (turned out not to be appropriate for that project) and wanting to add support for them to the fwupd project. This looked like it might be useful for deviation, so I asked him for a pointer to more information. He ran with things, producing both an extension to the projects libusb that will do the Walkera dfu obfuscation and this merge request.

fwupd is a collection of linux tools for managing device firmware, with the ultimate goal of automating firmware updates to devices. While you could set things up so that nightly builds get automatically loaded to your transmitters, it's not clear you'd want to do that. However, the tools might allow us to use standards-compliant dfu tools even for handling walkera-mangled dfu files, which I think would be a major win. It's not as convenient as the uploader, but not having to support an alternative to the walkera tools would be a win. My hopes is that we get a dfu loader supported by another project that will apply the walkera dfu obfuscation on the fly, so we could distribute standard dfu files, allowing us to stop supporting the dfu.py obfuscation program as well.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2016 07:19 - 25 Aug 2016 07:20 #53088 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic adding metadata to dfu files
I suggest to hardcode Walkera's manufacturer ID to turn on the obfuscation, and use an alternative ID (basically all other IDs) for bootloaders without that.
I guess the Walkera DfuSe will refuse DFUs with different IDs, so you won't be able to uplgrade a non-obfuscated DFU with it, which is good.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 07:20 by FDR. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.025 seconds