Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?

More
13 Sep 2014 20:50 #25642 by marcoose
Aug 1 Nightly Crashing? was created by marcoose
Is anyone else having trouble with the latest nightly (devo10-v4.0.1-92e1705)? I tried it out for updates to the YD717/Skywalker protocol, but it has issues for me.
It starts out trying to bind, but sometimes the font is all messed up (all characters swapped with Yen symbol). When it is in English, the menu menu appears normally but it is empty (no options, just the main menu title).

Is it just me? I tried a redownload/reflash, but had the same problem.

Error log attached

File Attachment:

File Name: errors.txt
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2014 14:20 - 14 Sep 2014 14:31 #25650 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
I think this is not specific to this nightly and this TX.
In the past it happened to me sometimes with devo7e-v4.0.1-ac4f0b2 (end of march) and V222 protocol.
Back to main menu everything was all right again. The protocol works without any issues.
Since four days I am using the latest nightly and it did not happen to me so far.

EDIT: I had no errors reported in the error logfile.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 14 Sep 2014 14:31 by aMax.

More
14 Sep 2014 16:21 #25653 by marcoose
Replied by marcoose on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
Well something very weird is going on, because I re-flashed the older nightly I was using before (91301b7 ~ 2014/5/15), and am having the same issue of nothing in the main/model menu. The official 4.0.1 release works fine. So I tried going official->old nightly in case that would make any difference; still no luck.

I'm back on the official release, but it doesn't have any YD717 options so I can't use one of my models at all now :( It was a tiny bit flaky before which is why I tried the latest nightly, but at least it mostly worked. Back to the crappy RTF transmitter I guess until there is a newer build.

More
14 Sep 2014 19:57 #25661 by btoschi
Replied by btoschi on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
I'm on Devo 8S with (various) custom build(s) with own patches, and since I'm trying to get some protocols to work (and my Multi Module issues fixed) I have enabled debug printout via serial out.
There seems to be a race condition somewhere related to bind process, which garbles the font, but when going back to main screen all is fine again.
There is some error printed via serial debugging, and I'm almost certain that it has something to do with loading the 'bind' sound (which is not played when this issue happens).

I'm pretty sure the file handle is used for loading fonts and sound.ini or actual wav-file and something (interrupt?) goes in between some times, and some times not. Low priority until I get my Multi Module issue fixed and much more spare time than I have now (something around zero hours per day right now :P )

One and only crash I had with my build was when watchdog fired due to some stupid busy-waiting loop (e.g. waiting for packet send/ack) - but these should be fixed already in recent nightlies.

I have no menu issues, but Devo 10 uses different code path there since it has no touch / color screen.

More
14 Sep 2014 21:54 #25666 by billmester
Replied by billmester on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
I have noticed the same.
Yen symbol, Skywalker protocol binding, Devo10, Aug1 nightly.

More
15 Sep 2014 00:24 - 15 Sep 2014 00:25 #25672 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
I had not seen this before, but flashed the Aug 1 nightly and it happened on the second bind I made. Then I bound another 40 times and it never happened again. If it's a race condition maybe it occurs more often depending on radio configuration. That's speculation since I'm not sure if config items would affect the code timing in a way that would cause this.

marcoose, does this problem happen every time you bind?

Pressing EXT cleared up the screen for me.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2014 00:25 by hexfet.

More
17 Sep 2014 14:55 #25701 by marcoose
It did not happen to me every time, so it is presumably some race condition. I guess I didn't really try to recover anytime I saw it, just restarted the TX for fear that it was worse than just a display issue.

However I'm really perplexed by the complete disappearance of the menus for me now. I don't know where the available menu options are loaded from, but my Main Menu and Model Menu are blank (the title and underline is there, with the scrollbar, but no choices available) for anything other than the official build. Is there something corrupted in my TX that is not reflashed by a nightly build. I assume the menu is in the code and so something strange is going on. Not sure why the official would always work though. I'm hoping there isn't something wrong with my TX (bad flash mem area or something odd).

More
17 Sep 2014 20:43 #25708 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Aug 1 Nightly Crashing?
Did you also update your filesystem from the nightly build?

More
18 Oct 2014 00:44 - 18 Oct 2014 02:39 #26105 by marcoose
I did update my filesystem... at least I thought I did.

Going back to the official build has not been fun so I decided to try the Aug 1 nightly again. This time I figured I would play with the emulator first and see how it responded. I managed to get it to crash the emulator program completely by copying over just my models/media/modelico folders.

So I started with a 100% 'stock' nightly build and things seem fine. I copied over just the individual model files I used (emptying out the extra space at the end) and my icons.

Everything working okay in the emulator, so apparently something in some file within models/media/modelico was causing the crash only under the nightly build.

I copied the filesystem from the emu to my TX and it is all back to working now. Still had one flash of weird A characters, but going back to the main screen cleared it up as others mentioned before.

But I'm doing much better!
Last edit: 18 Oct 2014 02:39 by marcoose.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds