How can I upgrade my Devo 7 from 10mw to 100mw

More
13 Mar 2014 23:42 #21531 by alfmateos
PhracturedBlue, I know that deviation does not support Devo 7, but it you could only help me to know how to upgrade my firmware from 0.3B to 0.5A I would be really glad to improve the output power from 10mw to 100mw and my transmitter range would be larger without needing to spend more money in a new one...

Could you tell me some hint on how to do that? I read that the firmware has to be modded...
If you cannot help me with this then I think nobody can...

Thanks anyway

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 23:57 #21532 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic How can I upgrade my Devo 7 from 10mw to 100mw
I don't knowmuch of anything about the Devo7. I have one which I only ripped apart, and is now in small pieces around my house.
Generally the .A firmware is 100mW and .B firmware is 10mW as I recall. It has been 2 years since I looked at it, but I believe the firmware asks the Tx if it is 10mW or 100mW. This is the hack you are talking about. Specifically, you need to disable this check.

I do not know how the firmware is stored on the Devo7 (it doesn't use DFuSE), have never done the hack you are discussing, and honestly I have no interest in working on the Devo7 platform, so I am sorry, but I do not believe I will be able to help you.

More
01 Apr 2014 14:55 #22000 by mattygerman
Replied by mattygerman on topic How can I upgrade my Devo 7 from 10mw to 100mw
Well, I´m a Devo 7 owner.
The manual clearly says: output power: less than or equal to 100 mW.
Moreover, you can adjust output power from -5 db (equaling 0.3 mW) to 20 db corresponding to 100 mW.
This is found under the "Model" menu and is therefore individually adjustable for any given model.

I did a range test on the ground and cancelled it after reaching more than 400 meters. I flew my 1m-Mustang (electric, fully aerobatic) with the Devo 7 and never encountered any problems.

So, maybe you were taken in by some misinformation re. Devo 7.
I like it for its reliability.
Of course its one great drawback is its inability to be ever run on Deviation ;)

More
01 Apr 2014 15:39 #22002 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic How can I upgrade my Devo 7 from 10mw to 100mw
There are 2 versions of the Walkera transmitters '10mW' versions and '100mW' versions. This is true of the Devo8 and 10. The '10mW versions use the 'B' firmware, the 100mW use the 'A' firmware. I believe these are the 'A' and 'B' values found in the battery cover, but really I'm not sure. I do not know if this holds for the Devo7 as well. The difference between the A and B models is a programmed byte in the bootloader, there is no physical difference, but you cannot load an A firmware on a B Tx, and changing the bootloader is non-trivial on a Devo8 or Devo10. I don't know the impact on a Devo7.

More
01 Apr 2014 18:54 #22008 by mattygerman
Replied by mattygerman on topic How can I upgrade my Devo 7 from 10mw to 100mw
Okay!
I see...

More
01 Apr 2014 19:35 #22009 by FDR
Does the DEVO 7 have a bootloader at all?
It is programmed directly using the UP-02 adapter, not throw USB...

I would try to install the A fw and see what happens. It might not work, but then you should be able to reinstall the B fw...

More
01 Apr 2014 20:02 #22011 by PhracturedBlue
I think there must be some bootloader there. I tried using a serial cable once on it which should have worked if they used the builtin bootloader, and it didn't detect. But I agree, it would be worth a shot.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds