Devo6s Multi-module Installation

More
21 Nov 2015 22:14 #40282 by Deal57
Devo6s Multi-module Installation was created by Deal57
I recently completed an installation of the Multi-module in my new Devo6S. The assembly process went very smoothly and I think the module is very clean. Installation was a bit tricky given the space we have to work in.

I assembled the Multi-module by soldering wires to the board. Using typical stranded 26-gauge ribbon cable I had to allow for room to bend and fold the wires so that they came out the end of the board. All of the wiring is soldered onto the same side of the board as the ATTiny processor, so I had to map out the pin numbers carefully. I terminated most of the connections with Amp connectors so that it would be easy to make changes later; in retrospect the connectors take up a lot of space, so I think next time I would only use them if I really want to make changes later. In any case it turns out to be a nice portable package. I kinda guessed about the length of the module wiring but in the end everything seems to fit.

I love working on the Devo 6S. It has two boards, so I had choices as to where to attach to the SPI signals. Also, the power, ground and select signals are neatly placed in a row of easy-to-reach solder pads, to which I attached a right-angle header. Attaching the multi-module is easy and quick.

It wasn't so easy and quick to place the multi-module board or the TX modules. The Devo 6S shell is very tightly filled without extra stuff, much like the Devo 7e, but there is room at the back of the shell. I have seen where others have removed part of the battery case to get more room, but I want to continue to use NIMH batteries, so that was out. With shrink-wrap tubing over the MM board and TX modules, I have used double-sided foam tape to place them in the back cavities.

The tricky part was getting the wiring in place. With the lengths I used of ribbon cable, I had to make a few folds but it fits. Not too tight, but it doesn't rattle when I shake it! And I took care to avoid tangling with the gimbals so that I wouldn't have any sticky controls. It's a bit fiddly to put it all back together but it works nicely!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2015 02:55 #40285 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Devo6s Multi-module Installation
A very timely post. Just what I've been hoping for. Thanks!

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
22 Nov 2015 05:41 #40287 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo6s Multi-module Installation
Nice job. Great to see the 6S can play to the modd-it-to-the-gills crowd!

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
17 Dec 2015 04:32 - 17 Dec 2015 04:40 #40998 by Arnold
Deal57, in your third photo down, I see those three connections to pins 6, 7, & 8 (I believe) in that long series of pins, left to right. Are those the SPI pins you refer to? And are they the SCK, MOSI, AND MISO connections from left to right? If not, what are they? I'd like to take the same approach you did to install modules.
Also, where did you get the AVR.hex file to flash the ATTiny chip on the Multi-Module? FB's two links in the "Building the Multi-Module" page at Bitbucket to that file are broken, so I'm stuck.

Last edit: 17 Dec 2015 04:40 by Arnold.

More
17 Dec 2015 04:59 #40999 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Devo6s Multi-module Installation
Here are the connections I made inside the 6S. I have included my color coding so it was repeatable!
1. Solder 5-pin r/a 2.54mm header to (RED)VCC/(BLK)GND/(ORN)TCK/(GRN)TMS/(NC)NRESET port
2. Solder 1 each cable to P15-12 (YEL-SCK-BRN), P15-13 (GRY-MISO-GRY), P15-14 (PUR-MOSI-PUR)

Here is the cable pack I built to connect to the multimodule. Using 2 4-pin 2.54mm DuPont connectors for the 6s end, and on the Multimodule I used these colors:
1-Gry NC - 5.5v
2-Red - 3.3v
3-Wht - Reset
4-Orn - MOSI
5-Blk - MISO
6-Yel - SCK
7-Brn - Ground
8-Grn - CSN
The DuPont connectors were assembled like this:
4-pin header 1 Red-3.3, Brn-Gnd, Wht-Reset, Grn-CSN
4-pin header 2 with pins YEL-SCK-BRN, BLK-MISO-GRY, ORN-MOSI-PUR, Gry (not connected)

More
17 Dec 2015 05:02 #41001 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Devo6s Multi-module Installation
We prefer to use the bit bucket files to ensure they stay current. I will PM you the hex file I used in the morning.

More
18 Dec 2015 05:02 - 18 Dec 2015 05:04 #41013 by Arnold
Thanks for that brilliant reply! Very clear & helpful. :)
I realized I need to order more stuff...

Last edit: 18 Dec 2015 05:04 by Arnold.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds