photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)

More
17 Mar 2016 15:30 - 17 Mar 2016 15:30 #44720 by linuxworks
I followed the usual guides in installing the nRF24L01 to my 7e. in case the high res photo is helpful to others, I offer it here.

I followed the 'standard' coloring that the other tutorials use, in terms of wiring.

(the person I did this for did not want any external antennas, so I opted not to use the amped version of the NRF and, instead, use the very common 'arduino module' that is smaller and easier to find/buy.)

link to full size image: c2.staticflickr.com/2/1652/25369361152_7b3f18940d_o.jpg
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 15:30 by linuxworks. Reason: added fullsize image link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2016 20:37 - 17 Mar 2016 20:53 #44749 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)
Going to have a limited range with that, at slightly less than 4mW transmitting power. I hope he plans on only flying micros well within a 100 foot range. ....or if it is the low power version, that transmits at 1mW, even way less range.

A better option would have been to use an nRF transceiver with PA and a separate dipole antenna placed inside the Tx in an unshielded location, IMHO.

Other than that, it's a nice, clean install.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 20:53 by RedSleds.

More
17 Mar 2016 20:42 #44750 by linuxworks
Replied by linuxworks on topic photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)
I think he is going to use it only for indoor quads. I told him if he runs into range issues, I can do the proper antenna mod, but he wanted a stealth install.

so far, for myself, I'm still just flying indoors; and so for my 2nd 7e (my hackable non-daily driver) I might do the small nRF mod like the photo; and I'll always have my external antenna and SMA cable (all clean rf stuff) and PA+LNA for when range becomes an issue.

I do love how simple and clean that common nRF mod is. I had that module around from when I was doing arduino stuff with it and so it costed me nothing to include it and there is a good clean antenna on this, too; just not a gain antenna of any kind; but at least I don't have to worry about coax and Z issues with onboard pcb antennas ;) much less wiring inside, too, so its a clean job.

but clearly, for use outdoors, I'd NEVER do it this way.

More
24 Mar 2016 09:14 #45083 by Harlem
Hey Guy's, this is interesting for me as i also plan on installing the NRF24 module with only a tiny internal whip antenna.
I can't see the antenna in the pic is there one?
I too am not concerned about range but i have a question,,,,
I seen in a couple of videos, that if you only have one module mod,,, the wires must go to TMS instead of TCK. Buttttt what wires, does both wires go to the right hole (there are two holes). But i shouldn't guess, hence am asking (PLEASE):)

Strange thing is, in all the pics i have seen, including yours, the wires go to TCK. So i am confused and hence i am asking.

Thanks, Tony

More
24 Mar 2016 09:48 - 24 Mar 2016 09:50 #45085 by TheSFReader
Replied by TheSFReader on topic photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)
If you use only one module, use either TMS or TCK, and configure the ini file (tx.ini or hardware.ini depending on the deviation version you insytalled) to say which pin you used.
If you use two modules, use one pin for the first module, and one for the second (and again, update the hardware.ini file to declare which module is attached to which pin)

This is all explained in the bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/Enabling_modules page

As for the antenna, it's the distinct zig-zagging copper trace on the upper side of the NRF module
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 09:50 by TheSFReader. Reason: Missed the antenna question

More
24 Mar 2016 10:14 - 24 Mar 2016 10:26 #45087 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)
Pretty much everything you need to know is on this Wiki page and in the links that are on it.
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleList

"If one module is being installed, CSN should connect to the 'TMS' pin."
"If two modules are being installed,one module should connect to the 'TMS' pin, and the other to the 'TCK' pin."

Get this nRF24L01 >> www.banggood.com/2_4G-NRF24L01-PA-LNA-Wi...ntenna-p-922601.html
...and an antenna like this one >> www.banggood.com/Wholesale-FrSky-Receive...na-25cm-p-68700.html

If you get the low power nRF with the PCB integrated antenna, you will have limited range. Depending on its output power, maybe only 50 feet or so. If you are only going to fly in your living room, maybe not a concern. But if you are going to fly it out to where you can just barely see it, I suggest an nRF that has +PA and +LNA like the one I linked to..

I would advise you to wire your transceiver(s) as shown for "After version 4.0.1" and Flash your DEVO Tx with the latest Nightly Build firmware to be able to use all of the latest protocols.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 10:26 by RedSleds.

More
24 Mar 2016 19:55 #45116 by Harlem
Wow, thanks Guy's, it's so nice when you are worried about making a clanger, and some Guy's go out of their way to help.

I owe ya, appreciated.

Tony Harlem

More
03 Mar 2017 04:14 #59794 by vuduchyld
Replied by vuduchyld on topic photo:devo7e hardware mod (nRF24L01 install)
This is outstanding. Thank you so much for the help. I just tracked my BG order on DHL and it should arrive tomorrow! Hoping like hell my old man hands are still steady enough to make it work.

Thanks!!!

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds