Simple Elevons mix with dual rate please!!

More
20 May 2018 12:36 #69333 by Donthemon
Replied by Donthemon on topic Simple Elevons mix with dual rate please!!
Gerry - nice set of instructions! I trialed them out and the Virt channel option worked for what I was trying to do first time! :) :) Of course, as you've already said, this adjusts both surface for each stick input so there is some slight mis-match of total movement that I would normally have taken out with Travel adjust but hey, it's still progress!

One thing I did notice was that when you change the scale values in either of the virtual channels, this not only changes the amount of control surface movement but it also moves the servo centering position (but not the sub-trim value), which seems very odd. However, this is reproducible and not just down to non-centring servos.

I ran your instructions past a friend who is also knocking his brains out trying to understand the programming interface and the attached contains his and my comments. We both now understand a whole lot more than we did, including what VIRT channels can be used for.

You sir, are a star and many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2018 12:37 #69334 by Donthemon
And the updates...!
Attachments:

More
20 May 2018 14:05 #69336 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Simple Elevons mix with dual rate please!!

Donthemon wrote: Gerry - nice set of instructions! I trialed them out and the Virt channel option worked for what I was trying to do first time! :) :) Of course, as you've already said, this adjusts both surface for each stick input so there is some slight mis-match of total movement that I would normally have taken out with Travel adjust but hey, it's still progress!

One thing I did notice was that when you change the scale values in either of the virtual channels, this not only changes the amount of control surface movement but it also moves the servo centering position (but not the sub-trim value), which seems very odd. However, this is reproducible and not just down to non-centring servos.

I ran your instructions past a friend who is also knocking his brains out trying to understand the programming interface and the attached contains his and my comments. We both now understand a whole lot more than we did, including what VIRT channels can be used for.

You sir, are a star and many thanks!

I use this setup for a cheap foam delta and don't seem to have any of these problems. I get equal travel on both sides.
Double check that scale+ and scale- in the ail and ele channels are the same, mismatch here would cause mismatch of control surface throws.
I tried to duplicate the centering position problem, I could only duplicate it if there was trim set and one of the virt mixer pages has "no trim" set, so one or more of the virt mixer pages has "no trim" set find which one/s and change to "trim". The "no trim" setting tells this mix to ignore any trim set with the trim switch.

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)

More
20 May 2018 14:45 #69337 by Donthemon
Thanks, you are indeed correct re. 'No trim' versus 'Trim'. I noticed that if you are on a field like Trim that can be changed with a long press, if you then save a mix change with a long press, this can also change that field value which is then saved if you do another save - quite a feature!
I'm taking a delta and a flying wing for some DLGing tomorrow so hopefully the new mixes with your Virt Channel magic will now do the business! :-)

More
21 May 2018 02:29 - 21 May 2018 02:30 #69345 by Gerry
Notes regarding tutorial questions.
"Does ‘Expo to preference’ indicate EXPO curve of YOUR preference?" YES
A curve type of "Expo" with a setting of "0" will be the same as a curve type of 1 to 1 (linear) in this instance. Positive expo will give finer control around mid stick and negative expo will give a more aggressive response around mid stick.

Last edit: 21 May 2018 02:30 by Gerry.

More
21 May 2018 15:13 #69355 by Donthemon
Gerry - thanks for that. I tend not to use Expo as I prefer a linear response across the full movement, but useful to know.

I took a new Delta and flying wing for some trimming today and your mix worked just great on both. As you say, it is so much easier just having to adjust the AIL/ELE sub-trim and the Virt1 & 2 travel amounts, rather than every page of every mix.

Many thanks

More
22 May 2018 05:01 #69363 by Gerry
Donthemon you're welcome. I'm glad it all worked for you and you had a successful day flying.

Thanks for your comments in the tutorial as well. I have made some changes with your comments in mind and some other changes I thought needed doing.
I think writing this tutorial was as difficult or more so than figuring out the programming in the first place.

More
22 May 2018 05:20 #69364 by Gerry
Attached is the revised delta/flying wing programming tutorial with the two model ini's the tutorial is based on.

The model ini's were made with Devo 7e with extra switches and frsky protocol set.

Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2018 00:41 #70611 by old4570
Replied by old4570 on topic Simple Elevons mix with dual rate please!!
Elevon Mix On Deviation
Ail- Complex - 2 mixes - Switch = None Mux = Replace Source = Ele . . . Page 2 . . .Mux = Add Source = !Ail
Ele - Complex - 2 mixes - Switch= None Mux = Replace Source = Ail . . . Page 2 . . .Mux = Add Source = Ele

So how do you add D/R ?

More
02 Sep 2018 04:27 #70613 by old4570
Elevon with D/R

SW D1 ( Position ) Set your scale ( RATE )
SW D2 ( Position ) Set your scale ( RATE )

Aileron - Complex - 4 mixes
Page 1 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Replace Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 2 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Add Source = !Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 3 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Replace Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 4 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Add Source = !Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?

Elevator - Complex - 4 mixes
Page 1 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Replace Source = Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 2 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Add Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 3 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Replace Source = Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 4 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Add Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?

So you go to mixing ...
Ail ..
Chose Complex for your mix
Then you will be setting up either 4 mixes or 6 mixes depending on the switch you want to use ( 2 position / 3 position )
Then just follow the example I have given you ...

My transmitter is the Jumper T8SG Lite , and my first switch position ( 3 position switch ) is my safety ( Throttle cut )
And as I bring the switch to the middle position ( SW D1 ) I have 50% rates ...
In the SW D2 ( lowest ) position I have 100% rates ..
Hope this helps ...

More
02 Sep 2018 06:03 #70615 by Gerry
That is the same DR programming method as shown in the example in the second post of this topic by Vlad_vy and one of my earlier posts and although it works when changes need to be made there are a lot of places to make changes which can easily lead to mistakes. With this method I'm not sure if you can separate the ele and ail rates to separate switches. I see the T8SG lite only has two switches (like 7e) but you could program your throttle or rudder trim switch to be another 2 or three position switch as they are not used for a flying wing config.

Using the virtual channels example described a couple posts above you will find is a much better solution for dual rates on this type of mixing. Once set up using virtual channels changes only need to be made in one place and you can put ele rates on one switch and ail rates on another switch easily.
Me personally, I never ever put any other function on the throttle hold switch and I always use the leftmost switch for throttle hold.

More
02 Sep 2018 14:54 #70617 by old4570
I don't want to install files VIA Computer ..
Just want to do the settings in the Tx .

I may give the virtual channel another go , geez ! And I had to work it out for myself .
I had a look at the ini file and it made no sense to me ..
So did it the hard way .

Found that other file with instructions - thanks .. ( Virtual channels ) I may give that a try !
Switch ? Why is it hard to pick a switch ?

More
03 Sep 2018 00:33 #70618 by Gerry
I am not suggesting that you install anyone's ini VIA the PC.
Kudos to you for figuring out how to do the mixing, it was one of the trickier mixes for me to figure out when I was learning Deviation.

More
03 Sep 2018 01:46 #70619 by old4570
Deviation - Got to look at it from a computer programming mind set ...
So if you approach it like programming software , then I guess it makes some sense .

I find Deviation interesting , but only for so long and then it just becomes tedious if not a little painful .
All this time to figure out how to do something , could be spent elsewhere = Like maybe flying ?

I am happy I worked it out , but that's about 5 hours to do dual rates .. ( 5 hours )
Don't want to apple / orange this , but using the other OS , it's a 5 minute job .

More
27 Feb 2020 00:14 - 27 Feb 2020 03:59 #75970 by danskis
Replied by danskis on topic Simple Elevons mix with dual rate please!!
I couldn't agree with you more. It took me 2 hours to set up basic elevons and I don't know how I did it so it wasn't repeatable. Then I found this site and its better. BUT right now I'd rate my Jumper T8 a 2.5 on a scale of 1-5. If they put on some simple preset programming with a better GUI for elevons and rates I'd give it a 6. What they did was make some nice hardware but totally ignored the software. I wish someone in a review had warned me about the overly complex software used on this box and the hours and hours of time needed compared to what is easily achievable on other transmitters.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 03:59 by danskis. Reason: added comments

More
27 Feb 2020 22:15 #75971 by Gerry
don't like deviation then buy a t12 and learn opentx!

More
04 Mar 2020 23:47 - 04 Mar 2020 23:59 #75999 by danskis
Gerry, thanks for the advice....I think I will do just that. Also, thanks for all the hard work you've put into this site helping people. I wouldn't have been able to get basic elevons working without your help and I greatly appreciate that. Your directions are well written and easy to follow. It seems that the T8 is not for me.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2020 23:59 by danskis.

More
05 Mar 2020 01:29 #76000 by Gerry
I prefer my Devos (7e and 12e) with deviation over my Taranis with opentx.

More
23 Mar 2020 19:49 #76094 by danskis
Gerry - well no new transmitter for me right now so we'll see if we can make this one work.

I noticed when I use the simple mix for elevons the elevator trim on the side of the stick only works the left servo...then I have to use the aileron trim to trim the right servo. Hard to do when you're flying. Anyt workaround for this?

More
23 Mar 2020 22:57 #76096 by Gerry
Danskis
I think you need to enable trims in the second page mixer on both channels.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds