Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO

More
19 Jan 2014 16:06 #18688 by cstratton
Replied by cstratton on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO
So is this running with an NRF24L001, or only with the transplanted Beken module? (I realize the latter is cheaper, but I have the former sitting unused)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2014 16:12 #18689 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO

cstratton wrote: So is this running with an NRF24L001, or only with the transplanted Beken module? (I realize the latter is cheaper, but I have the former sitting unused)

with nRF24L01+

More
21 Jan 2014 16:05 - 21 Jan 2014 16:08 #18842 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO
I'm making the (hopefully) final changes and have a question.

The trim pots on the stock transmitter don't affect anything on the transmitter. Separate trim values are sent to the receiver in each data packet. Investigation showed that the trims change the motor drive endpoints on the receiver. So max rudder plus max rudder trim in the same direction results in a significantly faster yaw rate than max rudder plus a neutral trim value.

I'd like some guidance on how best to incorporate this into the protocol. Currently I've implemented a "high-rate" mode by driving the trim values with a scaled version of the channel value, which keeps the response curve linear. This does reduce the control resolution, so I added an on/off on channel 6.
    // Channel 6
    // Use 7-bit trim values to implement "high-rate"
    if (Channels[CHANNEL6] <= 0) {
      *aileron_trim = 0x40;
      *elevator_trim = 0x40;
      *rudder_trim = 0x40;
    } else {
      *aileron_trim = *aileron >> 1;
      *elevator_trim = *elevator >> 1;
      *rudder_trim = *rudder >> 1;
    }
Last edit: 21 Jan 2014 16:08 by hexfet.

More
21 Jan 2014 16:23 - 21 Jan 2014 16:24 #18843 by cstratton
Replied by cstratton on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO
Two thoughts come to mind:

- You could scale the overall value to the sum of stick range + trim range, it would seem like that would make the controls more responsive, and then they could be slowed down with DR or expo to user taste

- You could phase in the use of the trim channel, sort of as an expo itself, but that may break abstraction models to have an expo in the protocol (not that actual control mechanisms on models are necessarily linear to begin with)

If I even get an STM8 SWIM interface going under Linux, I have half a mind to experiment with new firmware for the onboard side - they are certainly cheap platforms to hack on.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2014 16:24 by cstratton.

More
21 Jan 2014 16:25 #18844 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO
Is there a benefit to having low-rate mode? given that we can easily program such a thing with reduced range, your linear solution looks reasonable to me without the extra channel-6 input. You could also choose to use a scale of 125 or 150 as the max range (and map 150% to 100%+full trim). Then 100% would give reduced end-points (much like low-rate). I definitely would prefer a solution that provides a linear response over the entire range, and then allow the user to scale it down as they like. that way you can choose which channels get high-rates and which do not.

More
21 Jan 2014 18:29 #18856 by hexfet

PhracturedBlue wrote: Is there a benefit to having low-rate mode? given that we can easily program such a thing with reduced range, your linear solution looks reasonable to me without the extra channel-6 input.

I tested this and it works great. With the trim code enabled, using a scale of 80 makes it fly about the same as without using the trims. I'll make the change to always drive the trims.

You could also choose to use a scale of 125 or 150 as the max range (and map 150% to 100%+full trim).

Don't think I've learned enough yet to understand this. Are you referring to tx scale settings, or scaling the channels in the protocol code?

More
21 Jan 2014 18:36 #18858 by hexfet

cstratton wrote: If I even get an STM8 SWIM interface going under Linux, I have half a mind to experiment with new firmware for the onboard side - they are certainly cheap platforms to hack on.

There's an unused pad on the rx labeled LED+. It doesn't seem to ever be active no matter what you send to the rx.

From the data sheet I think the nRF24L01 should work as well.

More
21 Jan 2014 19:54 #18863 by PhracturedBlue

hexfet wrote:

You could also choose to use a scale of 125 or 150 as the max range (and map 150% to 100%+full trim).

Don't think I've learned enough yet to understand this. Are you referring to tx scale settings, or scaling the channels in the protocol code?

I meant you could turn this:
    return (u8) (((ch * 0xFF / CHAN_MAX_VALUE) + 0x100) >> 1);
into something like:
    return (u8) (((ch * 0xCD / CHAN_MAX_VALUE) + 0x100) >> 1);

which would map 'CHAN_MAX_VALUE (100%) to ~80% on the tx. That would mean that a value of 125% shown on the tx would give you full range on the protocol.

But there really is no need. it is probably more inturitive to use 80% to mean 'low rates' than to use 125% to mean high rates.

More
21 Jan 2014 20:24 #18865 by hexfet

PhracturedBlue wrote: which would map 'CHAN_MAX_VALUE (100%) to ~80% on the tx. That would mean that a value of 125% shown on the tx would give you full range on the protocol.

But there really is no need. it is probably more inturitive to use 80% to mean 'low rates' than to use 125% to mean high rates.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I'll just let the full range be 100%.

More
22 Jan 2014 22:34 - 22 Jan 2014 22:36 #18948 by hexfet
Questions about two more items I could add. These are possible because the tx receives ack packets from the rx. An overall question: is the extra code required worth it for a small indoor flyer?

It's possible to detect a bind failure and restart the bind process. The only benefit I can see is this would let you turn on the tx first, then connect the battery on the quad. It would require re-working the current bind code. How long should the tx keep trying?

The tx is set to retransmit a packet several times if it doesn't get an ack within a timeout period. The chip keeps a count of retransmissions, and the data sheet suggests using this as a measure of channel quality. How would this measure be reported to the user?
Last edit: 22 Jan 2014 22:36 by hexfet.

More
23 Jan 2014 00:27 #18959 by PhracturedBlue
on the 1st it is your call.
we have protocols that work both ways.
You always have the 'rebind' button on the model page that allows you to bund after turning the Tx on.

Or you could use the hubsan model where it will wait forever until it binds (you can press 'ok' on the dialog to stop waiting). I tend to like the hubsan method. it makes sure you know your model is ready to go.

On the 2nd, you could report it as telemetry as the # of frame loss (DSM has this info). I think it is much less valuable than the voltage as far as telemetry info goes. Note that today, you do not have access to the CE pin so switching from Tx to Rx or vice-versa on the NRF can only be done by going through 'standby-ii', which takes > 1.5msec (and I don't know if anyone has ever actually made it work)

That last point may make up your mind for you.

More
23 Jan 2014 02:50 #18967 by hexfet
I'll take a look at the Hubsan code. If it doesn't take many lines that method sounds better. The current code flashes the bind message just for a second.

The reception of the ack packets is done automatically through the Enhanced Shockburst feature, so there's no manual mode switching. It's interesting that it's missing from the nRF24L01 datasheet's state diagram, but it's mentioned in the section on Enhanced Shockburst (love that name). The 2421 datasheet does show these transitions. The YD717 protocol even sets up the data pipes such that the rx could include a payload in the ack packets, but it doesn't. Some telemetry would've been nice.

Since the retransmit info is available I'll see what it would take. Would be a fun thing but not very useful for a quad that can't be seen more than 100 feet away.

More
24 Jan 2014 06:02 #19015 by hexfet
I've got the telemetry working using the DSM FRAMELOSS field. When I go to the telemetry monitor screen the F and H fields both show the packet loss count. Is that correct?

I noticed that clicking through the binding screen does not stop the code that's still trying to bind. Would implementing the DEINIT command change that? I powered up the tx first to do some config, then powered the quad expecting to then hit the re-init button. But the quad bound as soon as I plugged in the battery and the throttle wasn't quite at zero. I added a throttle cut switch...

More
24 Jan 2014 06:45 #19016 by PhracturedBlue
in theory frame loss and hold should be different.

the ok button just cancels the dialog not the binding sequence. it is true on all protocols. It has been a repeatedly requested feature tho.

More
24 Jan 2014 13:19 - 24 Jan 2014 13:30 #19024 by hexfet
The stock tx does not start sending data packets after binding until the throttle is at zero. Would that logic be appropriate to include in the protocol?
Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 13:30 by hexfet.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Jan 2014 13:30 #19025 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Protocol for YD-717 aka Sky-botz Mini UFO
It's the other way in deviation: you can not start the binding process as long as the safety conditions (like throttle=min) are not fulfilled. This means: a short move to the bottom will start binding; the throttle stick can be moved after starting and a non-zero / non-minimal value could be sent first. Often the receivers and ESCs catch this and do not start the motor until throttle was down once. But the YD might behave different.

Nevertheless I propose to keep this behavior consistent as long as there is no technical reason.

More
24 Jan 2014 15:05 #19026 by PhracturedBlue
Agreed. I don't want the safety code implemented in different places. Some of the protocols send data mixed with binding, which makes it hard to wait until after binding to set the safety then. In any case, for now, I think it is fine to ignore this issue in the protocol. Having 'Ok' abort the bidning process is probably a good idea, but each protocol will likely deal with that on its own. In some cases it means 'assume we're bound and start sending data', and in others 'turn off the transceiver, binding failed'

But I need to code that into the framework before it can be added to the individual protocols.

More
24 Jan 2014 17:26 #19027 by hexfet
Sounds good. Not much of a safety issue on quad this small.

More
25 Jan 2014 23:28 #19116 by hexfet
The latest merge wraps it up I believe. Thanks for the help! I'll be happy to update the manual if that's the process. Here's what I know in the manual style.

The YD717 protocol supports the YD717 and Skybotz UFO Mini quadcopters. No other models have been tested with this protocol, but it is likely to work with other re-branded YD717 models. NOTE: This protocol requires the addition of an ‘nRF24L01’ or equivalent hardware module to function. See the following document for more information: www.deviationtx.com/repository/Documenta...uleInstallation.pdf/

The YD717 protocol supports 5 channels and only supports auto-binding. The fixed ID can be used, but does not prevent auto-binding during power-on. The protocol stays in bind mode until successful.

The first four channels represent Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, and Rudder. The fifth channel enables the auto-flip function when greater than 0. Additionally to enable auto-flips left and right the aileron channel scale must be 87 or greater. Likewise for the elevator channel and front/back flips. When auto-flip is enabled, moving the cyclic all the way in any direction initiates a flip in that direction. The YD717 requires at least four seconds between each auto-flip.

Frame loss telemetry is supported.

The YD717 only calibrates its accelerometer on power-up. An excessive wobble indicates the quad was not level and motionless when powered on. It is difficult to initialize it properly with the canopy installed. Best to power-up, then install the canopy.

More
26 Jan 2014 00:50 #19121 by PhracturedBlue
thanks, I'll add it to the manual

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds