Choice of a logic analyzer for Assan V2 protocol

More
11 Feb 2014 13:20 - 11 Feb 2014 18:26 #20127 by blackmoon
I would like to capture the sessions between my Assan V2 module and a RX, the Assan protocol uses the nrf2401 chipset.

Since we already have the nrf2401+, I think this would be useful for one of the code wizards here, if this protocol would ever come into the development pipeline.

Thing is, I have to :

1. choose a logic analyzer that would do the job.

2. have someone explain to me what steps to follow to have all the interesting parts captured.

Thank you.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 18:26 by blackmoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2014 14:54 #20130 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Choice of a logic analyzer for Assan V2 protocol
What you are linking to is a Salea Logic clone.

I've repeatedly said that discussing knockoff Salea hardware is verboten here. It is very likely a license violation in the US to use their software with a clone.

Using one with sigrok would be fine, but very few folks do that.

I am very happywiyth my Salea Logic, and their support, and find their software to be intuitive to use. I can understand not being willing to pay Salea's price, but I cannot condone the use of their software with Chinese clones, and this forum isn't the place to discuss it if that is what you want to do.

More
11 Feb 2014 14:59 #20131 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Choice of a logic analyzer for Assan V2 protocol
As far as capturing the interesting parts, you need to identify the SPI ports (SCK, MISO, MOSI, and CSN) depending on the board layout, this could be very easy, or involve tricky soldering. We can help you with that if you take pictures of the Tx.

Once you have the LA attached to the proper ports, you need to capture power-on, and the binding sequence. Then you'll need to capture each function individually and document what you did. for instance sweep throttle, elevator, aileron, rudder from min to max. Then sweep the trims from min to max. Then flip any switches.

If there is no encryption in the protocol, that'll likely be enough to get it working. If they've encrypted it, things will be harder, and you may need to also attach the LA to the Receiver and/or hope for a Math expert to come help (as was needed for DSMX)

More
11 Feb 2014 18:19 #20137 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Choice of a logic analyzer for Assan V2 protocol

PhracturedBlue wrote: What you are linking to is a Salea Logic clone.

I've repeatedly said that discussing knockoff Salea hardware is verboten here. It is very likely a license violation in the US to use their software with a clone.

As I didn't follow closely the different threads on the protocol side of things, I didn't grasp that it was verboten to talk or link about it.

Sorry fort that, I removed the link.

Since I don't see myself paying what they ask for their hw/software just for one protocol. And likely never use it for anything else because I'm no EE nor particularly gifted with electronics, It think I won't pursue this avenue.

Anyway, one last question, you mentioned sigrok and I looked at it, would the existing scripts for decoding the spi protocol work with it ?

Thank you.

More
11 Feb 2014 18:31 - 11 Feb 2014 21:00 #20138 by cstratton
Replied by cstratton on topic Choice of a logic analyzer for Assan V2 protocol
I found sigrok tricky to build (had to track down the current home of the latest development libusb), and couldn't get its gui to work at all. But a signal analyzer gui isn't what you want for more than the earliest which-wire-is-which stages of this work anyway.

What I really like about sigrok is its ability to dump captured data through a pipe into a custom decoder. For someone used to unix-style command line tools, and the way they can be scripted, this can be very powerful - by running it in an endless of loop of short burst captures, I was able to dump packets that responded "live" to what I was doing with the transmitter sticks.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 21:00 by cstratton.

More
11 Feb 2014 18:44 #20140 by PhracturedBlue
I agree baout setting up sigrok. There is this page:
sigrok.org/wiki/Windows
which provides instructions on getting up and running on Windows.
I've never gotten around to trying it myself.
I wish the clone manufacturers would bundle sigrok instead of (likely) illegally bundling Salea's software. It would also give sigrok a boost which it could use.

I have generally gotten by dumping SPI or occasionally raw data from Salea and post-processing it in perl. I like being able to quickly look at the waveform to make sure I got what I needed, but as you said once you are actually working on the protocol, that isn't much use, and the process of a dozen clicks to capture, and export the waveform is less convenient than streaming the data would be.

I expect that next time I work on protocol stuff I'll setup sigrok and give it a shot. I'm in a weird situation where my primary Deviation workstation is a Windows machine running Ubuntu in a VM. I am not sure if sigrok through the usb forwarding will work or not.

More
11 Feb 2014 18:50 #20141 by PhracturedBlue

blackmoon wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: What you are linking to is a Salea Logic clone.

As I didn't follow closely the different threads on the protocol side of things, I didn't grasp that it was verboten to talk or link about it.

Sorry fort that, I removed the link.

I should clarify that there is nothing wrong with that hardware (that I know of), but it is sold specifically to be used with Salea's software which is where my objection comes in. If someone would put together a newbie instructions for using one with sigrok, I'd have no complaints. I may give that a shot myself; you aren't the 1st user to ask about this, and I agree that an official Salea is not cost effective for someone who is unlikely to use it often.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds