Spin Master protocol on 7e?

More
04 Mar 2015 01:22 #29302 by Old_Okie
Spin Master protocol on 7e? was created by Old_Okie
The Spin Master Air Hogs RC Elite Helix X4 Stunt quadcopter
uses the nRF24L01 chip. Has this protocol been investigated?
Is it the same as a protocol used by another company? TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2015 07:01 #29310 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Spin Master protocol on 7e?
Is it good?

Do you have photos of inside to evaluate feasibility of reversing the protocol? I need a detailed photo of the board near the nRF, both of RX and TX.

More
04 Mar 2015 15:11 #29323 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Spin Master protocol on 7e?
Have you tried binding the air hogs with the existing nrf24l01 protocols?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
05 Mar 2015 01:32 #29337 by Old_Okie
Replied by Old_Okie on topic Spin Master protocol on 7e?

mwm wrote: Have you tried binding the air hogs with the existing nrf24l01 protocols?

The only other nRF24L01 TX that I have access to is for the Ares Ethos QX 75. I tried it. It did not work.

More
05 Mar 2015 01:39 #29338 by Old_Okie

victzh wrote: Is it good?

Do you have photos of inside to evaluate feasibility of reversing the protocol? I need a detailed photo of the board near the nRF, both of RX and TX.

I hope these photos are acceptable. If not, I'll make some more.
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2015 21:15 - 05 Mar 2015 21:21 #29376 by victzh
That's disappointing. It uses LE1, not L01. It's a world of difference from the point of view of protocol reverse engineering. The protocol is inside the chip, which is not a simple radio, but a 8051 compatible MCU with RF front end.

So no way to tap SPI bus and decode the protocol, what you can do is only listen to the radio. It is hard, I've never done it and the chance of success is small. I'm still to decode my first protocol over the radio.

Another way is to contact Airhogs (sorry, there was a text about Ares, I mixed them up a bit), may be they are interested in Deviating their models.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 21:21 by victzh.

More
05 Mar 2015 21:54 #29377 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Spin Master protocol on 7e?
While, I assume teh 24le1 has a protected mode to prevent reading flash, it does seem possible to extract if that bit isn't set:
github.com/jdelfes/nrf24le1_flasher

I've certainly not tried it, and don't know if I even have any 24le1 based tx/receivers to try it on. If it works, it would likely be case-by-case, and figuring out the protocol from the disassembly would be a massive amount of work. Using an SDR is a better bet, but I have never been able to figure out enough to make it work.

More
05 Mar 2015 22:05 #29378 by victzh
I am looking at the SDR way - it opens new possibilities, but on the other hand, it's much more labor intensive. In this case you don't need SDR all the time though - just to learn some basic parameters of the protocol - bit rate, CRC, packet length, channels - then you can listen and decode packets from the comfort of nRF24L01 - the majority of decoding is done in it for you.

More
06 Mar 2015 00:58 - 06 Mar 2015 00:59 #29382 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Spin Master protocol on 7e?
SDR is likely sufficient to at least tell you the bitrate and channels without much work if you have a 2.4Gz capable box. I have a USRP as well as a downconverter that is supposedly usable with an rtlsdr (should provide a ~$50 2.4GHz SDR if it actually works), though I never got around to trying it. finding the signal isn't usually too hard, but figuring out how to demodulate it so you actually see bytes is something I struggled with with minimal success.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 00:59 by PhracturedBlue.

More
06 Mar 2015 04:20 #29386 by victzh
@alibenpeng here on this forum tried it with moderate success for a less popular chip - LT8900. He decoded the messages, but failed to emulate them with nRF24L01 - which is, admittedly, were ambitious. If you're curious - take a look www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...-h1-a-k-a-mini-ninja .

I have both RTL-SDR with downconverter and HackRF, but I still did not get to actually using them. I mean, I see packets as a blobs on waterfall in SDR#, and it can help to decode at least frequencies, but that's it for now.

More
11 Mar 2015 19:01 #29572 by Old_Okie
victzh and PhracturedBlue,

Thank you for your replies. It appears that I won't be able to use Deviation
to control my Helix X4. However, the CopterX thread in this forum pointed me to the CX-CT6C transmitter that also uses the nRF24LE1G chip. I believe I can use the Helix X4's RF board in the CX-CT6C to control the Helix X4.

More
11 Mar 2015 19:07 #29573 by victzh
Almost certainly, no. The situation with LE1 is following. The radio part is the same as in nRF24L01, but it is equipped with an extra MCU - 8051 compatible processor which handles the protocol and exchanges information with the main MCU in the controller. The protocol between the nRF23LE1 and main MCU is not defined anywhere - it can be arbitrary. So if you just transplant the module from your toy TX into CX-CT6C it most probably will not work.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds