Serial out for LRS boxes

More
19 Nov 2017 03:53 #65980 by Elmtree
Serial out for LRS boxes was created by Elmtree
This is probably a very niche category, but I just implemented SUMD serial out of the trainer port to interface with my openLRS box. It has much less jitter than the PPM did which is nice.

I don't have a crossfire module to test, but it looks like implementing that serial protocol (IDK about telmetry) would be pretty easy as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2017 04:48 #65982 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Link to repo?

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
19 Nov 2017 04:54 #65983 by Elmtree
Replied by Elmtree on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
I don't have it on a repo currently. I'll try to figure it out, but I think it only changes one file and adds one file. I have a github account so I guess it's time to figure out how it works.

For now I've attached the two changed files. It's just an edited version of ppmout.c to use serial.
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2017 05:01 #65984 by Elmtree
This is my first try at github. Does this work?
github.com/Elmeerkat/deviation

More
19 Nov 2017 15:14 #65989 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Looks good. Need to add an entry to protocol/Makefile.inc so a module gets built for limited memory builds. Is it possible to restore the state of extended audio at de-init?

Convention is to make pull requests from branches, so best to move the changes to a branch before making a PR. Makes it easier for others to test and keeps history cleaner.

More
19 Nov 2017 15:46 - 19 Nov 2017 15:57 #65990 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
@hexfet: restoring extended-audio is not necessary, as it get's reevaluated at the next protocol load

edit: I can't remember the exact reason, but I had an issue with resetting extended audio on deinit. It was somehow connected with Protocol_Init() first calling Protocol_DeInit()...
Last edit: 19 Nov 2017 15:57 by Moeder.

More
19 Nov 2017 16:11 - 19 Nov 2017 16:25 #65992 by Elmtree
@hexfet
so I should keep my fork, but put the changes in BRANCH_5.0? Is that right? And then when the code it ready a pull request is made?

EDIT: wait, do I make my own branch under my fork called something like serialout? and then once it's done I submit a pull request from there? Sorry for all the questions!

Right now I just set the baudrate to 0 on deinit because that's what I saw in the FRSky protocol that has s.port out on the serial port. Should I also do
CLOCK_StopTimer();
? I wasn't sure why some protocols do it and other do not.

@Moeder I don't have audio on my TX. Is there a way I can test that with the emulator or something? Or should I just leave it to the next protocol load?
Last edit: 19 Nov 2017 16:25 by Elmtree.

More
19 Nov 2017 16:34 #65993 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Yes keep your fork. No don't add your changes to BRANCH_5.0. New development goes in a new branch you create that's based on the upstream master branch. You'll need to backtrack a little since the changes are already in your local master. Those changes should be moved to their own new branch, so your local HEAD is back to the same as upstream/master. Then push all those changes to github so that repo is in the same state as your local one. Out of time right now else I'd look up the commands...

More
19 Nov 2017 16:41 - 19 Nov 2017 17:06 #65994 by Elmtree
Thanks, working on it now

EDIT: I think I've done it correctly.
github.com/Elmeerkat/deviation/tree/serialout
Last edit: 19 Nov 2017 17:06 by Elmtree.

More
19 Nov 2017 17:29 #65997 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Perfect. Now you can go ahead and make a pull request. If possible, also fork deviation-manual and add descriptions to ch_protocol.rst

More
21 Nov 2017 22:44 - 21 Nov 2017 22:46 #66034 by Elmtree
So if I want to add the other serial protocols (S.Bus, CSRF, etc) do you think it would be better to have them under separate protocols, or all under one protocol called serial with an option to select each one? I believe CSRF and FPORT have the option for telemetry as well.

Then maybe I can start attacking another protocol that I am able to test.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 22:46 by Elmtree.

More
22 Nov 2017 04:22 #66039 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Separate protocols would be easier to maintain, so I'd go this way. Also, the 7e has limited RAM available and Deviation actually swaps in and out protocols on model change, so simpler and smaller protocols are preferable (not that CRSF is a simple protocol, it's not).

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
19 Dec 2017 03:56 #66530 by Macklemore
Replied by Macklemore on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Will this be plug and play with the Serial in mod for the TX as described here? shown here...

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1...=Serial#post38822305

More
19 Dec 2017 21:36 #66539 by Elmtree
I hadn't seen that! Glad OLRS is getting some development. I'll look at the code

More
20 Dec 2017 05:30 #66545 by Macklemore
Replied by Macklemore on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
The sole developer of qlrs is putting out feelers for serial control of his Lora TX as well. it would be great for Deviation to be an alternative to OpenTX.

More
20 Dec 2017 09:47 #66546 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
I have opened a topic some time ago here at the forum on Support for LORA modules, referring to QLRS system.
It would be great if we could, natively support it, without serial or ppm links.

(Further more LRS systems are using LORA,such as TBS Crossfire, with very good results)

More
05 Jan 2018 19:13 #66734 by xfapv
Replied by xfapv on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Hi guys,
thx for working on deviation. Just flashed my 12S last week. Works great!

Elmtree mentioned CRSF would also be possible.
I have a crossfire module laying around here. I cannot code good enough to implement the CRSF protocol myself, but if it is done, I could run some testing on it.

More
05 Jan 2018 22:08 #66737 by Elmtree
I don't have too much time right now because of school. Once I'm less busy I'll finish up the SUMD protocol and look into X-Fire again. Maybe emailing TBS for advice could work as well.

More
25 Mar 2018 19:52 #68350 by Whiffles
Replied by Whiffles on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
I'd love to see Crossfire support. The new Jumper T8SG Plus has a module bay, so this would be a huge step forward for Deviation to support CRSF modules.

More
27 Mar 2018 06:27 #68368 by 3D Ambitions
Replied by 3D Ambitions on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Some guys are running them on spectrum tx why can’t I do the same on my devo8s? I really would like to change my quads to crossfire without having to buy a new tx.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds