Newbie: Just arrived Devo 10 - matte black version

More
20 Oct 2015 00:58 - 20 Oct 2015 10:14 #39059 by QC102
Hi,

EDIT: Apart from probably being in the wrong section (sorry mods) I have found that the upgrade tool does not recognise the Devo 10. YT vids show the name on teh bottom section between abort abort and quit!
Is there a reason - cure?
Its along story but - I have just had a Devo 10 delivered from China - paid for by the refund of a totally defective Syma X8W - its a saga in its 10 week now!
I set about updating the firmware - to the part where I need to click the upgrade button. Its greyed out - as are the top section boxes which are all empty.
It looks new - but the included Manuals DVD has been opened and finger marks on the disk.
Any advice please..... or is it just another lump of useless plastic from China??

2nd Edit ( to catch you before you get bored) The computer doe snot "see" the TX which is why it cannot be updated.
The Software is 0.84 and Library is 0.2 - is that normal but I see nothing anywhere to tell me what version firmware is installed.
Also.. I cannot find anybody in all Australia who does repairs - any ideas?
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 10:14 by QC102.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2015 01:56 - 20 Oct 2015 01:58 #39060 by Arnold
Use PB's deviation Java USB installer ... download it from here: deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/161-dfu-usb-tool
Discussion here: deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/1744...-testers-for-usbcode
- Don't use a USB hub - connect your Devo directly to your PC.
- Run the installer.
- On the Devo, hold down the Ext button and turn on the Tx.
- In a few moments, your Devo should show up as the Transmitter at the top in the installer window
- The "Install/Upgrade" tab should be active
- Click the "..." button on the Firmware line.
- Browse to the location of the Zip file for the Deviation firmware installer you downloaded and Open it
- Check the box for "Format"
- Click the "Install/Upgrade" button
- Agree to format the drive
- Wait till the installer is done.
This procedure should overwrite anything you've done previously and put things right.
I'm a newbie here too, so anything I say is suspect :ohmy:

QC102 wrote: Hi,

EDIT: Apart from probably being in the wrong section (sorry mods) I have found that the upgrade tool does not recognise the Devo 10. YT vids show the name on teh bottom section between abort abort and quit!
Is there a reason - cure?
Its along story but - I have just had a Devo 10 delivered from China - paid for by the refund of a totally defective Syma X8W - its a saga in its 10 week now!
I set about updating the firmware - to the part where I need to click the upgrade button. Its greyed out - as are the top section boxes which are all empty.
It looks new - but the included Manuals DVD has been opened and finger marks on the disk.
Any advice please..... or is it just another lump of useless plastic from China??

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 01:58 by Arnold.

More
20 Oct 2015 03:05 - 20 Oct 2015 03:10 #39061 by QC102
Thanks for the info.. will try it out.
I see you online now... do you have the Devo 10 and did you get this "issue" ?
I am trying do find if its normal set up procedure - and bearing in mind its about 3 versions back from current ie the old matte black colour....

EDIT: downloads-new/category/161-dfu-usb-tool not found??
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 03:10 by QC102.

More
20 Oct 2015 03:12 - 20 Oct 2015 03:21 #39062 by Arnold
My Devo 10 is the latest white one, but a buddy of mine has the "gunmetal" version with Deviation, no problems. I believe he converted his within the psst 6 months.
I've converted mine back and forth between Deviation 4.01 and Walkera native firmware a couple of times now, just to make sure I could, so there's no uncertainty.

<Edit> Can't you get to the download for the installer? I just tried the link I provided and it worked ok. .080 is the one you want.

Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 03:21 by Arnold.

More
20 Oct 2015 03:18 - 20 Oct 2015 03:37 #39063 by QC102
I just cannot find any downloads on the Walkera site - YT vids say click on Services... but nothing mentions downloads and no links.

I take it when you Devo arrived - you did not have this problem - not being recognized by the updater tool?

EDIT: installed the drivers - rebooted - no change. :(
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 03:37 by QC102.

More
20 Oct 2015 03:32 - 20 Oct 2015 03:33 #39064 by Arnold
Yeah, one of the guys here, MWM, gave me some of the info I'm giving you. Don't use the Walkera installer, regardless of the current Deviation manual's instructions. Use the Java version I linked to. That will work fine.

Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 03:33 by Arnold.

More
20 Oct 2015 04:03 #39065 by QC102
Sorry mate, tried everything you suggested - the basic problem is that nothing can happen if the Radio cannot be "seen" by the applications.
Turned on it seems to be working and I can see models etc,.
But the bit of circuitry that communicates with a computer....is just not working.

More
20 Oct 2015 04:09 - 20 Oct 2015 04:26 #39066 by Arnold
... Ext button on the Tx, right? Not the Ent button,

If you have that right, and you're using a Windows PC, then I believe it's a USB driver issue.
So, I have to ask you to read the thread I mentioned earlier. PB advises what driver to use and where to get it, I believe. I use a Mac, so didn't have that issue.
You may have to do a lot of reading to arrive at the final answer.

Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 04:26 by Arnold.

More
20 Oct 2015 07:42 #39069 by SirDomsen
When you push the ext button while switching the Devo on, it has to display 'firware upgrade' or sokethijg similar. If not, that's the first step you have to solve. When in Upgrade mode, connect the Devo to your PC, now it has to be recognized as a new (unknown) device. If so, you have to install the correct driver, if i remember it correct, it's included in the package of the dfuse tools. Now your PC should be able to talk to your Devo. If not, post on which step you get a problem.

Greetz
SirDomsen

More
20 Oct 2015 10:35 #39072 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Newbie: Just arrived Devo 10 - matte black version
What Windows version are you on?

Maybe its a USB driver / tool compatibility problem with the latest, if you have this installed?

More
20 Oct 2015 13:23 #39073 by SirDomsen
I tried on win xp, win 7 and win 10 - same driver, no issues

More
20 Oct 2015 20:07 #39076 by QC102
Arnold - the problem seem to be a loose connection - during the messing about yesterday - suddenly the devo 10 name was visible in teh bottom section of the update app and I actually completed the changeover/update to 4.01. The story is longer but that's enough. In doing so - I obviously lost the Original Walkera files when it formatted. Any change you can email or set up a download- maybe a link to your Dropbox so I can get a set of the original files please.

More
20 Oct 2015 23:17 - 21 Oct 2015 00:28 #39078 by Arnold

QC102 wrote: Arnold - the problem seem to be a loose connection - during the messing about yesterday - suddenly the devo 10 name was visible in teh bottom section of the update app and I actually completed the changeover/update to 4.01. The story is longer but that's enough. In doing so - I obviously lost the Original Walkera files when it formatted.

I'm glad to hear you managed to get in the boat with the rest of us... :woohoo:

Any change you can email or set up a download- maybe a link to your Dropbox so I can get a set of the original files please.

If you're referring to the Walkera firmware, I can do that, but I think you'd be better served if you download it yourself, directly from the source. Here, at the deviationtx website, go to the "Links" item in the sidebar and you'll find a couple or several links to sources of Walkera material. That way, you won't have to rely on me to provide that info in the future & it'll always be readily available to you.

Last edit: 21 Oct 2015 00:28 by Arnold. Reason: typo

More
21 Oct 2015 01:21 #39080 by QC102
Ext + power on = Program Update.
With the Deviation DfuSe USB upgrade tool open - Devo 10 connected by USB - The device name does not show in the bottom section.
I have DFU USBDrv Installer 1.0 - which seems to have the the "H" green button and zadig.21.2.2 and zadig.21.2.2_xp which I presume are Windows driver.... I have clicked to install these ( not the xp version)

After hours of messing about, last night the device was suddenly recognised and I was able to actaully replace the Walkera default software and dragged all the Deviation files into teh then empty reforatted internal drive. Tuned it off and its now showing Deviation Devo 10 version 4.01 on startup - followed by Model1 and the image of the heli.
After this and re-booting the PC with the Tx disconnected. Opened teh app and connected the TX.... back to not showing the device name and it would not be ppossible to run an upgrade.

AT the moment I assume that a set up for a quad model would see the TX working as it should - until the next update!

I think its a dodgy USB connection and by sheer luck while moving the cable and or teh TX..landed on a spot where the connector was working.
However that theory may be flawed because if I hold down ENT and power up - the display shows teh trident USB logo - but the computer makes the "didily dum" sound and a new drive icon appears in the device list. So the computer is seeing the device - but the upgrade tool is not. It was at this stage that I dragged the deviation files into the device - which when disconnected and powered up.... showed the upgrade in place. Thats the current situation and I am - re-stalling the drivers and then spending time on here reading everything I can find!
I may decide to open it up and see how to access the USB and its connection to the board - it may be replaced able - if I can find one. Walkera does not answer any emails!

More
21 Oct 2015 01:30 #39081 by QC102
mmmmm never saw them!! Must admit I hate it when things go sideways and I am in a new not been there before situation. Although I j have a win 7 PC... I work on an iMac so I have to twist my head around to get back into PC stuff! Add not understanding half the terminology or logical progression. had it not been for your post yesterday - its likely the Devo would be looking up at the trash bin lid!

Thanks to you and the others who offered help. Will post results later to day if I have anything worthwhile to tell.

More
21 Oct 2015 02:04 #39082 by Arnold

QC102 wrote: ... I work on an iMac ...

It might be revealing to try running the java app (DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar) on the iMac & see if you still have connection issues.

More
21 Oct 2015 02:52 #39085 by QC102
Might be revealing??
Tried it... clouds parted and I swear I heard Angels singing - actually it was the wife while doing the ironing!
I am no computer wiz and to me Java was just some code that hackers use to get their spending money or a new house.

"'Im a newbie here too, so anything I say is suspect :ohmy:" - with that phrase in mind...i had not much hope. Anyway I had already downloaded a new set of files after dumping yesterdays downloads in case they were somehow flawed. It opened a different looking UI - mm not looking good this I thought, then I noticed at the top Devo 10 - but not on the bottom ala Windoze. Still not convinced - I went through the motions - hoping it would not mess up the Devo10 as it is.
I don't see a way to upload an image - but it shows the progress bar and finally a successful update!

So it seems that my problems were the Windows drivers - but I cannot explain why the worked once as expected but so far...never again.
Looks like I am going have to go back and eat humble pie with a Chinese store... but having messed me about for over 2 months... I aint!
Arnold - you are on my Christmas Card list and in my will. Thanks for your help mate. It really is much appreciated.

More
21 Oct 2015 03:19 #39087 by QC102
Yesterday was a bit messed up - everything new to me and back to using a PC. STill do not know why once everything worked OK- then it didn't!
I am guessing that a driver was functioning - but on a reboot it was not saved or properly installed. Arnold suggested the java version on my iMac.. and it was straight in and working OK. So I have a working solution for future updates.
Thanks for joining and and adding to my help fund - appreciated.

More
21 Oct 2015 03:26 #39088 by QC102
Its a fairly old computer on Win 7 not long after it came on the market. I moved over to Mac when Apple free issued the software to create "iBooks" in 2011/12. I only keep the PC because I have a couple of good flip page presentation programme which i use to create company "this us and what we do" type of DVD based presentations...but I I use - less and less - which is why I never bothered using the free Win 10 update.
Your suggestion about drivers seem to be spot on and I can do some testing trials to find a solution on the PC.
Thanks for joining in... appreciated.

More
21 Oct 2015 04:11 #39090 by Arnold
Its pleases me a lot to hear you say that - No, not the Christmas card list bit :)
One of the links I gave you at the outset of our discussions turned out to be a dead end. This is the correct link:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...-testers-for-usbcode
That thread is about 4 pages worth of PhracturedBlue's progress in making the cross-platform (Java) installer for Deviation. If you go back and look through the last 2 pages of that thread, you might get some insight into the issue with drivers on Windows and see what he did to overcome it. That may help you make your PC functional for updates in the future.
Turning the page here...

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds