How To Set Up SAFE Mode Using Standard GUI

More
05 Jun 2016 20:33 #49994 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic How To Set Up SAFE Mode Using Standard GUI
I didn't touch any of that, I copied your model above, then added a pitch curve that's enabled with your throttle hold switch rud dr1, and also set ch5 to go from +100 to -100 with the elev dr switch, +100 at ele dr1 and -100 at ele dr0. that's all you said wasn't working? give me 5mins and I'll have another look

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2016 21:02 - 05 Jun 2016 21:59 #49995 by HappyHarry
sorry i thought you had it mostly set up when you posted that earlier so i only looked at what you mentioned, here try this, this matches what you asked for on friday
name=Blade nCPs
mixermode=Advanced
icon=HELI.BMP
[radio]
protocol=DSMX
num_channels=7
tx_power=150mW

[protocol_opts]
Telemetry=Off

[channel1]
safetysw=RUD DR1
safetyval=-105
template=complex
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch1
switch=FMODE0
curvetype=3point
points=75,75,75
smooth=1
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch1
switch=FMODE1
curvetype=3point
points=85,85,85
smooth=1
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch1
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=3point
points=100,100,100
smooth=1

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=ELE DR0
scalar=75
curvetype=expo
points=15,15
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=ELE DR1
scalar=100
usetrim=0
curvetype=expo
points=15,15

[channel3]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch3
switch=ELE DR0
scalar=75
curvetype=expo
points=15,15
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch3
switch=ELE DR1
scalar=100
curvetype=expo
points=15,15

[channel4]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4
switch=ELE DR0
scalar=75
curvetype=expo
points=15,15
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch4
switch=ELE DR1
scalar=100
usetrim=0
curvetype=expo
points=15,15

[channel5]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=Ch5
dest=Ch5
switch=GEAR0
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=Ch5
dest=Ch5
switch=GEAR1
scalar=-100
usetrim=0
curvetype=fixed

[channel6]
subtrim=4
template=complex
[mixer]
src=Ch1
dest=Ch6
switch=FMODE0
curvetype=9point
points=-25,0,25,30,40,50,60,70,75
smooth=1
[mixer]
src=Ch1
dest=Ch6
switch=FMODE1
curvetype=9point
smooth=1
[mixer]
src=Ch1
dest=Ch6
switch=FMODE2
curvetype=9point
points=-25,0,25,30,40,50,60,75,75
smooth=1
[mixer]
src=Ch1
dest=Ch6
switch=RUD DR1
usetrim=0
curvetype=9point

[trim1]
src=LEFT_V
pos=TRIMLV+
neg=TRIMLV-
[trim2]
src=RIGHT_V
pos=TRIMRV+
neg=TRIMRV-
[trim3]
src=LEFT_H
pos=TRIMLH+
neg=TRIMLH-
[trim4]
src=RIGHT_H
pos=TRIMRH+
neg=TRIMRH-
[timer1]
type=countdown
src=RUD DR0
resetsrc=AIL DR0
time=300
[datalog]
switch=None
rate=1 sec
[safety]
Auto=min
[gui-128x64]
V-trim=54,10,1
H-trim=1,59,3
V-trim=71,10,2
H-trim=78,59,4
Big-box=2,12,Ch1
Small-box=2,28,Timer1
Small-box=2,38,Timer2
Small-box=2,48,Timer3
Bargraph=81,30,Ch1
Bargraph=95,30,Ch2
Bargraph=102,30,Ch3
Bargraph=109,30,Ch4
Bargraph=115,30,Ch5
Bargraph=88,30,Ch6
Bargraph=122,30,Ch7
Toggle=61,12,1,64,128,FMODE
Toggle=114,13,4,67,0,AIL DR
Toggle=99,13,5,68,0,ELE DR
Toggle=84,13,2,65,129,MIX
Toggle=61,29,9,72,0,RUD DR
Toggle=61,45,8,71,0,GEAR
Battery=102,1
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 21:59 by HappyHarry.

More
05 Jun 2016 21:32 #50003 by jbewley
Replied by jbewley on topic How To Set Up SAFE Mode Using Standard GUI
Thanks again and closer.

TH = OK

FMODE = OK

Mix = OK

Collective = Nothing

Gear = Nothing

Elev = Still shuts of motor in up position

Throttle stick = Must be moved slightly forward for the motor to start. Full down and motor shuts off.

More
05 Jun 2016 21:55 - 05 Jun 2016 22:01 #50005 by HappyHarry
what version of deviation are you using? and this is for a devo10 yeah?

have you tried adjusting the throttle safe position like I suggested? also everything is working as expected in the emulator, can you check the channel monitor on your tx and verify what your saying the switches and sticks do.

I've edited the ini in the post above, see if that changes the collective issues
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 22:01 by HappyHarry.

More
06 Jun 2016 18:54 #50052 by jbewley

HappyHarry wrote: what version of deviation are you using? and this is for a devo10 yeah?

have you tried adjusting the throttle safe position like I suggested? also everything is working as expected in the emulator, can you check the channel monitor on your tx and verify what your saying the switches and sticks do.

I've edited the ini in the post above, see if that changes the collective issues

Harry, it is working fine now. Not sure what is different, but all is well. Thank you for sticking in there and helping me fix it, because I learned something along the way. I am in your debt sir.

Jim

Jim

More
07 Jun 2016 12:40 #50083 by jbewley
Had a good test flight with both the nCPs and the 230s this morning. The file HH adjusted is very good.

I did notice that the tail rotor on both helis is very "strong" and wants pull the tail "right" all the time. Is there way to slow it down a bit???

Jim

More
07 Jun 2016 13:14 #50086 by HappyHarry
check the trim settings on the rudder, it might be off centre a bit, look in the channel monitor and see if the tx is sending 0 when the rudder stick is centered. glad to hear it's working out bud :)

More
07 Jun 2016 13:31 - 08 Jun 2016 06:02 #50088 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic How To Set Up SAFE Mode Using Standard GUI
Jim you want to check the 230s manual for internal / advanced gain settings:
www.horizonhobby.com/product/helicopters...e-technology-blh1580
www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH1500_Addendum_Multi.pdf

AFAIK (and according to manual) the NanoCPX had no tail gyro gain (can't remember tuning it), so probably the NanoCPS does not have either as it uses CH5/GEAR channel for SAFE and not gyro gain.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2016 06:02 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
07 Jun 2016 16:12 #50106 by jbewley

HappyHarry wrote: check the trim settings on the rudder, it might be off centre a bit, look in the channel monitor and see if the tx is sending 0 when the rudder stick is centered. glad to hear it's working out bud :)

The channel monitor has two screens. The first one shows the rudder at +2 centered. The second (larger) screen shows rudder ar +4.

It will not let me in that program, so are the adjustments made in "trim"? Trim shows rudder at 0.1.

Jim

More
07 Jun 2016 16:34 #50109 by HappyHarry
first thing to do is calibrate the sticks, then once that's done wiggle the rudder stick back and forth a few times while checking the channel monitor (the pot on the rudder may be a little loose and not centering properly) if the rudder keeps centering ok after that it's fixed, if it doesn't stay centered after wigglng the sticks you'll need to look at the pot/gimbal connection and tighten it up somehow

More
07 Jun 2016 17:03 #50112 by jbewley
Thanks again HH and Thomas.

Calibrating the sticks did the trick for both heli's.

I just might figure this all out yet. :lol:

Just from my perspective, as a new guy, I am finding that the Advanced GUI is actually not really that hard to use. In my case, the manual, simply does not explain things in any kind of detail. For example, it says you can set up as many "pages" as you need, but does not explain "what" a page is. Once I figured that out, by looking at where HH had put things, it became clear and other things began to fall into place.

Not complaining, just pointing out, what I see.

Jim

More
07 Jun 2016 19:16 #50120 by HappyHarry
nice one bud :)

yeah the advanced mixer can be daunting at first, but by doing as you have done, looking at existing models and how they are set out in the tx menus etc, it becomes clearer. there are some good posts in the forum and the likes of mwm's blog that cover programming in more detail but i see the manual as just a reference manual, not a how to guide.

More
07 Jun 2016 21:14 #50137 by jbewley

HappyHarry wrote: nice one bud :)

yeah the advanced mixer can be daunting at first, but by doing as you have done, looking at existing models and how they are set out in the tx menus etc, it becomes clearer. there are some good posts in the forum and the likes of mwm's blog that cover programming in more detail but i see the manual as just a reference manual, not a how to guide.

I agree about the "reference" part and now that I am starting to figure things out, it will help me.

Thanks again for the help HH,

Jim

More
07 Jun 2016 21:31 #50142 by HappyHarry
no probs bud, that's what we're here for :)

More
09 Jun 2016 21:16 - 09 Jun 2016 21:17 #50276 by mwm

jbewley wrote: You have designed a powerful program, but you neither gain, nor lose anything if people can or can not use it, so nobody really cares. I can not fault your thinking in any way, nor would i try to.

Oh, we care! The problem is, there are lots of things to do and only a limited number of people to do them. So we - and I mean each developer - prioritizes things according to their needs. And the standard GUI isn't used by any of us, so doesn't get priority. Personally, I feel that no matter how much work we put into the standard GUI, you'll always be better off learning the advanced GUI, and wrote tutorials to help people get over that hump.

With that said, I know exactly what pitch/throttle curves I want and how I want my ini to look. I have it all written down, but simply can not get it in the tx. Therefore, I would be more than happy to PAY someone to write the file for me. :-)

Well, as you discovered, there's usually people willing to help you with the advanced GUI - if you can state your desires clearly enough. I suspect anyone trying to make a little spare cash doing this wouldn't fare well, but have to wonder if there's enough interest in it to justify offering that as a service, similar to the deviation hacks & mods service?

Second, would you be willing to pay to get the standard GUI brought up to snuff for this? Say just adding a "Flight mode" selector? I develop software professionally, and being able to work on deviation that way would certainly change my priorities!

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 21:17 by mwm.

More
09 Jun 2016 21:44 #50280 by jbewley
MWM, first let me say that the Advanced GUI baffled me, were the standard GUI was understandable. I do not write software and just could not grasp, in the written word of the existing manual, what i was suppose to do. Thomas, HH and you, helped me out and now I have a basic understanding of how the advance GUI works and am getting, somewhat, comfortable with it and I thank you all for that.

I believe that I now see how the advanced GUI is much more powerful than the standard, so I understand why you all use it. I think the problem is in the manual. As HH said, it is a "guide" not a "how to", which was about useless to me. I saw where there had been talk about making some videos. For me, a more detailed, step, by step manual or several how to videos would have meant a world of difference. I am comfortable editing the Advanced GUI now, but there are many things it can do hat I don't know about. A better manual or better yet, the videos, might be the road to follow.

Would I pay someone to write an ini file to my specifications? Yes i would. I had the NRF module put in my Devo 10 and paid for the service, because i honestly did not want to tackle it. When the Bangood 3-in-1 module is released, I will gladly pay again to have it installed.

I have read in threads on RC Groups, where folks grab an ini file, load it and find it not what they want and get discouraged. I believe that there are others out there who would also be willing to pay for such a service.

Jim

More
10 Jun 2016 00:55 #50296 by mwm
Turns out videos are hard for me to do, so that idea sort of died. My intro to the deviation programming isn't really a step-by-step guide, more a look at the .ini files you need to create to do specific things, mostly driven by setting up a relatively modern quad. In the intro to programmable transmitters guide - which you may not have read, as you're not in the target audience - I used images of the emulator screens to show what the config would look like. This shows the 12S (Because it's big and colorful, but the graphics are the same on the 6 & 8, and I showed how it relates to the 7e and 10 as well) emulator screen, and explains the settings that you need to change. While this still isn't a step-by-step guide, it's not far from it.

I've been thinking about adding similar screen shots to the deviationTx intro, using the line numbers so you can see what's going on in the transmitter. Is that something that might have been useful to you?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Jun 2016 01:26 #50297 by jbewley
mwm. You are correct, I have not seen these, so let me look them over and get back to you. You have a great program here and I would like to take better advantage of it, as I am certain others would. Thanks for the links. I will report back.

Jim

More
16 Jun 2016 19:54 #50706 by jbewley

mwm wrote: Turns out videos are hard for me to do, so that idea sort of died. My intro to the deviation programming isn't really a step-by-step guide, more a look at the .ini files you need to create to do specific things, mostly driven by setting up a relatively modern quad. In the intro to programmable transmitters guide - which you may not have read, as you're not in the target audience - I used images of the emulator screens to show what the config would look like. This shows the 12S (Because it's big and colorful, but the graphics are the same on the 6 & 8, and I showed how it relates to the 7e and 10 as well) emulator screen, and explains the settings that you need to change. While this still isn't a step-by-step guide, it's not far from it.

I've been thinking about adding similar screen shots to the deviationTx intro, using the line numbers so you can see what's going on in the transmitter. Is that something that might have been useful to you?

Sorry it took awhile for me to read through these. They are informative, but still technical in nature. In that you are a person who writes computer programs, this is only natural. Back in the day, the Army designed courses of instruction that were aimed at the lowest person in the class. Those who caught on quickly, got to nod off a bit, but at the end of the day, everyone in the class knew exactly what to do and how to do it.

Something like this is what i was looking for:

"Pages: When you assign a function to a switch, you will need a "page" for each position on the switch. The FMODE switch has three positions, so three pages are needed. The GEAR switch has two positions, so only two pages are required. As you scroll down each page, you enter the functions you want it to perform. etc.........

Jim

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds