Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?

More
31 Dec 2012 18:53 - 31 Dec 2012 18:54 #4442 by Hexperience
Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation? was created by Hexperience
If I knew how to do a poll I would, but just wondering...

Did you only start to buy Walkera products AFTER the release of deViation?

I know I did. I'm a junkie for custom firmwares and the color touch screen was way too cool.

I would not have gone Walkera if I hadn't seen deViation. Of course now that I have, I love the v120d02s and my v450d03.

So... did you wait for custom firmware? :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 18:54 by Hexperience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2012 22:21 - 31 Dec 2012 22:21 #4451 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
Well, the only reason I own any Walkera hardware is because of Deviation (though it was only a glimmer of an idea back then and didn't yet have a name).

I got back into RC about a year ago with my 1st Heli (V911). I quickly decided I wanted a real Tx, and settled on the 9X (which at the time had a crazy backorder list), and began to wait.

Just around the time my 9X finally arrived, someone pointed me at a thread rcH4x0r had just started on using the Devo8 as the basis for a custom firmware. I was attracted to the challenge of opening up the hardware, and working with a much more powerful platform than the 9X.

Amazing help from the likes of rcH4x0r, FDR, and MatCat got things off the ground, and then a variety of other coders along the way have helped get us to where we are now.

The past 8 months has certainly been quite eventful for me. I hope we can continue to improve more in the next year.

FYI, my Devo8 has been a real trooper. I have ridiculously abused it, and have broken lots of parts, but it has been easy to fix and is still going strong. Walkera certainly has some QA issues, but I don't think you can beat it for the price, and I am still happy to be using it as the basis for this project.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 22:21 by PhracturedBlue.

More
01 Jan 2013 00:03 - 01 Jan 2013 00:10 #4452 by bigde
Replied by bigde on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I had walkera before and I had a devo12 now its broken. But I bought a devo8s because of deviation. I'm just happy I did thanks. It only makes sense to have a firmware like deviation, for me it did anyway. Considering all dsm2 micro, walkera, wltoys flysky, orange rx and dsmx receiver.
Thanks a lot.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2013 00:10 by bigde.

More
01 Jan 2013 00:45 #4453 by RugWarrior
Replied by RugWarrior on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I also just bought my Devo 8S because of this great firmware :) At the moment I have a Walkers Ladybird but more rc stuff is in the pipeline :P

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
01 Jan 2013 11:18 #4466 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I have bought a Devo8 a year ago or so. The Walkera helis looked quite cool I ordered a V100d08 and Devo8 bundle overseas. The promise was to fly every Walkera heli with ths tx - I have learned later, that this was not true for the WK2xxx-controlled models. But Walkera offered to send them the old rx and I would get devo-compatible back (I did not try this, but if the hardware is identical they might only flash the rx...).
Later I have seen deViation short before the release of 1.0 and was sure that this will make Walkeras promise true...
Now I have some newer Walkera helis, but also some rx801 in 450-helis and quadrocopters. And I fly some blade stuff too (nCPx, mQx) and flying disks and planes with Orange rx.
I like the features of deViation where I can use a wide range of receivers without any hardware modification and more with quite easy work. And I only need one tx to control all my models and I am able to easy setup them that they behave as identical as I want them to.
I am quite sure that I would buy a Devo8S to get all these advantages if I would not have one. When PB starts to work on Devo12s I am really sure that I have to save money to buy one of these (quite expensive here...). And the 7E may be good as the second tx, will mostly be used by my daughter with her flying disk and plane. Maybe I can get a cheap one before the progress with Deviation for the 7E pushes the requests (and maybe price)...
The Walkera receivers may be designed for special models (sometimes I think they know something about the hardware they control), but the 3in1 often work in other hardware too. And until now I never had any bad experience with Walkera, Spektrum, Orange or Blade receivers.

More
01 Jan 2013 13:29 - 01 Jan 2013 13:31 #4471 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I'm a huge fan of walkera, I'm a sucker for all micro stuff.

Since kid I always liked RC things, but never had the cash for it.

So I debuted with a WK 4#3 micro helicopter and have had a bunch of their models since then.

Despite other people say i really think they have brought hobby grade helicopter to the masses.

But then they decide to abandon their old protocol to go with devention, and I did swear I wouldn't follow...

Then deviation came along, and from day one I'm struggling to not buy another walkera TX.

But I know myself, I'm just weak...

Why PB WHY :D
Last edit: 01 Jan 2013 13:31 by blackmoon.

More
01 Jan 2013 14:44 #4474 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I started almost exactly 12 months ago with a WK2801/V450D01 bundle out of the USA. I quickly realised the Devo 8 is the (Walkera) future way to go and got a Devo8/Genius combo. A V120D02s (new) was added a few months ago and is now my preferred training setup. I then added a Align 250 and 600E to the fleet. Based on people knocking Walkera on HF and RC, I decided Futaba 8FG is the required (professional) TX for the 600.

I then came across DeViation and a whole new world opened up, being an ex-embedded/C & electronic developer now stuck in management. With FDR's help I got the development environment up and running, the rest is history as they say.

I since added 3 more Aligns to the fleet, I love building them, and the Futaba 8FG (V5) is still in its box (I guess no takers on this forum). There is no way one moves to the clunky Futaba 8GF GUI once you are used to Deviation and even having it I your own language.

Result of PB’s brainchild: Walkera 1; Futaba 0

More
01 Jan 2013 16:17 #4479 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I was looking for a transmitter to use with a 450 class heli, and everybody was assaulting me with the DX6i or DX7, which I loathe. So after looking around I decided to go after a Walkera Devo 10.

So yea, I had my Devo 10 before PB announced Deviation, and I almost bought an 8S because of it. But, I realized I didn't need a second transmitter so I held myself back. Now I'm glad because I run Deviation on my 10.

At one point in time I tried to port it myself, but lack of time and knowledge about embedded systems made it slow and painful. I am getting better though and hope someday I will contribute.

Anyway, this is the best thing that happened to R/C world since er9x.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
12 Jan 2013 19:09 #4946 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I bought my DEVO 10 because of Deviation. I am new to Heli's (Had a CX2 before) and didn't want to buy multiple transmitters. I also fly planes and wanted a good unit for that, Deviation and DEVO 10 seemed to fit. Without Deviation I would likely have shopped around a bit more, and had to decide a bit more carefully on a Heli line.

Thanks guys,

John

More
14 Jan 2013 20:23 #5024 by Scream
Replied by Scream on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I totally jumped on the devo train when I stumbled into this site!

I started with a mcx then to a msr but wasn't sure which way to advance.

When I found out about deviation it took less than a week to decide on a devo10 & mini Cp combo... Even though what I really wanted was a nano.. If the mini isn't mini enough my devo can step up and fly a nano!!

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
14 Jan 2013 21:32 #5025 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
deViation is costing me... just ordered the Devo12. Both sad and happy at the same time. :( :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
14 Jan 2013 23:02 #5027 by digitracer
Replied by digitracer on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
For me it's just the other way round. Years ago I started with Walkera on a 4G3 with a WK2801. Now that Walkera is forcing people to by Devo I hadn't gone further with Walkera without Deviation. Now being happy with having added two new Walkera (Devo-)birds to my collection I am going to sell my WK2801 and MX12.

More
15 Jan 2013 00:16 #5028 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?

digitracer wrote: For me it's just the other way round. Years ago I started with Walkera on a 4G3 with a WK2801. Now that Walkera is forcing people to by Devo I hadn't gone further with Walkera without Deviation. Now being happy with having added two new Walkera (Devo-)birds to my collection I am going to sell my WK2801 and MX12.

I've just started to play around with my 2702v. Have you found any issues with the 2801 protocol? I'm assuming it's pretty rock solid because I haven't seen anyone mention anything.

More
15 Jan 2013 07:07 #5037 by arnieelkins
Replied by arnieelkins on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I have not bought anything yet, but if I do get a Devo, it will be for Deviation. I intend to fly mini quads, posssibly some larger quads, and some small helis, either Blade or Walkera. As such, the Devo line with Deviation makes sense, as it would support everything I want to fly. Not having the money at the moment has kept me from jumping in, but I really want to.

How do the 8 and 10 stack up against each other? I know you can do more channels with the 8, and it has the color screen, but how useable is the screen in daylight? Is the 8 worth the extra money over the 10? I will probably never use more than 8 channels anyway, knowing how much trouble I can have keeping up with only 4, so the 12 is right out. :-)

If you were buying a radio for Deviation, which one would you get, and why?

Thanks!
Arnie

More
15 Jan 2013 11:55 #5039 by Tom_ate
Replied by Tom_ate on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I started a couple of years ago with 35MHz and the first Walkera Mini Heli available (5#6). Years (and lots of helis) later 2.4G came around the corner, and my first 2.4TX was the WK 2801 (the first release, not the "PRO"). I nearly bought every new Walkera-CP-Heli. I am an addict, I suppose.
Then the Blade mCPX came, and I bought two of them - and a DX7 to control them.
And then the Devos came, and the newer WK-Helis were no longer compatible with the WK2801 - so I bought a Devo7.

So I had to take 3 TX's to the flyfield every weekend.

And after waiting and hoping, that deViation would be running on my devo7 one day, I decieded to change my 3 TX's into one TX with deViation.

So I bought a Devo10 only for deViation; flashed it on the first day, and am more than happy since that day. I sold my older TXs, and thats ist.

So great work you have done, guys!

PS: My daughter wanted a own TX for her ladybird and FP-Helis, so I decieded to take a Devo7E for her. I am sure that shortterm we both will have the same firmware running on them :-)))

Kind regards,

Matthias

More
15 Jan 2013 20:33 #5046 by Masen72
Replied by Masen72 on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
Guilty as charged. Deviation + Devo = fly "any" helicopter.

How can you go wrong? Specially for me - a noob not knowing which helicopter to go for (and not afraid of getting my feet wet with a little TX-programming)...

Solo Pro 270 // Mini CP // Super CP // Devo8S

More
26 Jan 2013 20:45 #5551 by Rambosmurf
Replied by Rambosmurf on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
Somewhat Guilty. I have Walkera products but had to buy the Devo 10 just for the use of Deviation and the ability to fly all my Helis with one Radio. Now I can sell my Devo 7, 2801 Pro and be able to buy DSM stuff.
I thank you...but my wife isn't thrilled.

More
28 Jan 2013 14:38 #5622 by stein@office-center.no
Replied by stein@office-center.no on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
I've just placed an order for DEVO 10. Flying Blade Helis..

Hope it will work as good as told at this forum :cheer:

E-Flite recommends Spectrum - but the Walkera Devo 10 gives more channels for less money..

Stein

More
28 Jan 2013 17:41 - 28 Jan 2013 17:44 #5642 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?

stein@office-center.no wrote:
E-Flite recommends Spectrum - but the Walkera Devo 10 gives more channels for less money..

Stein

deViation is : more channels, more protocols, more configurations .... more fun!

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 17:44 by domcars0.

More
04 Feb 2013 22:08 #6025 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Who bought Walkera BECAUSE of deViation?
Told you I'm weak... :oops:

Devo10 + super CP en route from HK :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds