Devo7e work

More
19 Jan 2013 16:06 - 19 Jan 2013 16:06 #5194 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7e work
Thanks, but where did that come from and do you have permission to redistribute it?
I cannot allow Walkera's firmwares to be hosted here unless you have permission to distribute them.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 16:06 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2013 16:30 #5195 by magiceddi
Replied by magiceddi on topic Devo7e work
You're right, sorry. Was so excited that i forgot the basics...

More
19 Jan 2013 22:08 #5206 by PhracturedBlue
I got a couple of questions which I thought I'd answer here for everyone:
1) In deviation you can set the power up to 100mW on the Devo7e, does that mean the Devo7e can do 100mW? Is there any downside to setting this? Can it harm my Tx?
The way that the transmitter works is that the radio chip (CYRF6936) has programable gain (from about -30dBm to ~3dBm). The output is connected to a fixed power-amplifier which then is connected to the antenna. The power-amp in the Devo8/10 has a 20dBm gain. That result in ~23dBm max output == ~150mW. However, the amplifier isn't very efficient above 18 or so dBm, so you spend a lot of battery power at 150mW, and the actual output is probably not quite that high. I don't know what the amplifier in the 7e is. I need to unsolder the metal shield and see if it has a part number. But regardless, setting the value to 150mW on the Devo7e will not do any harm. It just sets the CYRF6936 to max output. that may be ~100mW or ~10mW depending on what amplifier they used, but it shouldn't be able to cause any harm. The only downside I can see, besides the battery drain, is if it overdrives the amp, it may result in reduced range I guess.

2) Is there a devo7e emulator?
Yes, though I haven't released a binary for it

3) What happens when you load a model that uses switches that don't exist on the 7e?
If it uses any of the analog controls, those settings will be ignored. Otherwise:
FMODE2 -> FMODE1
FMODE1 -> FMODE1
FMODE0 -> FMODE0
RUD D/R -> D/R
AIL D/R -> D/R
ELE D/R -> D/R
MIX2 -> FMODE1
MIX1 -> FMODE1
MIX0 -> FMODE0
GEAR -> D/R
(These mappings may change in the future). So the model should load fine, but you may want to alter the switch mapping

More
19 Jan 2013 22:21 #5208 by magiceddi
Replied by magiceddi on topic Devo7e work
It's a T212 soldered onto the TX module marked "T212 1902".

More
19 Jan 2013 22:23 #5210 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Devo7e work
Thanks for answering my questions.
Considering you skipped my last one i presume the trim tabs cant be rebound as a Fmode switch?

If so is that something that could be implemented and would fit inside the devo 7e memory? Would be nice to be able to use more then 2 fmodes on a 7e.

Using the trim tabs one could even have a "infinite" number of Fmodes as one could step up/down between them, downside would be that you can only see what mode your in on the display, unless one adds annoying beep &| vibration codes for flight modes.

More
19 Jan 2013 22:35 #5212 by PhracturedBlue
If it has a T212, then yes it should be able to do 100-150mW with Deviation.

More
19 Jan 2013 22:37 #5213 by PhracturedBlue
There is currently no simple way to use trims to control flight-mode, though if you mapped the trim to a virtual-channel, you may get pretty close. Certainly is something that deserves more thought.

More
19 Jan 2013 22:48 - 19 Jan 2013 22:49 #5214 by Xermalk

PhracturedBlue wrote: If it has a T212, then yes it should be able to do 100-150mW with Deviation.

Awesome, this just took the 7e to a new level, now we just need some hardware mods for extra switches and its a full blown albeit smaller hobby tx.

PhracturedBlue wrote: There is currently no simple way to use trims to control flight-mode, though if you mapped the trim to a virtual-channel, you may get pretty close. Certainly is something that deserves more thought.

I suspected as much. Its not like its been needed before as the 7e is quite starved on switches&buttons compared to its bigger brothers.

Hrm, just downloaded DevoDfuSe_v1.5_Setup.exe (Devention_Upgrade.zip) from walkeras website but it refuses to start on W7 x64 Pro.

Faulting application name: DevoDfuSe.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fbc9168
Faulting module name: DevoDfuSe.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fbc9168
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000065bf
Faulting process id: 0x478
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf695fa6f8fff
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\devention Upgrade Tools\DevoDfuSe.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\devention Upgrade Tools\DevoDfuSe.exe
Report Id: 38200ecc-6289-11e2-b05d-002683175181

Is what i get in windows application logs. Strange, the UP02 works just fine.

Ill check and see if i can run it in a vm tomorrow.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 22:49 by Xermalk.

More
19 Jan 2013 23:00 #5215 by PhracturedBlue
I would say to search around here and RCGroups for the 1.3 and 1.4 versions as the issue you are having is very common. Unfortunately, you need version 1.5 to program the 7e :(

More
20 Jan 2013 00:02 #5217 by Xermalk

PhracturedBlue wrote: I would say to search around here and RCGroups for the 1.3 and 1.4 versions as the issue you are having is very common. Unfortunately, you need version 1.5 to program the 7e :(

Seems the trusty old XP partition came in handy. Its now up and running Deviation :woohoo: .

One thing i noticed while going through the menus was that the tx battery alarm has 5.5v as its lowest value. But as i am using 4 x rechargable 1.2v NiMh batteries ill never reach 5.5V. Can the minimum value for the alarm can be lowered?

More
20 Jan 2013 00:16 #5218 by PhracturedBlue
I've checked in a fix for this now. Keep the reports coming.

If you haven't yet, I recommend building from the source code until the majority of the issues are worked out. If you don't feel up to installing the build environment, there are 2 pre-packaged solutions in the HowTo section that may help.

Thanks.

More
20 Jan 2013 00:20 - 20 Jan 2013 00:22 #5219 by Xermalk

PhracturedBlue wrote: I've checked in a fix for this now. Keep the reports coming.

If you haven't yet, I recommend building from the source code until the majority of the issues are worked out. If you don't feel up to installing the build environment, there are 2 pre-packaged solutions in the HowTo section that may help.

Thanks.

Im using the virtualbox vm to compile latest builds.
Gotta love running virtual operating systems.

Ill test the battery fix tomorrow, and gets some airtime with deviation and my master/mini.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2013 00:22 by Xermalk.

More
20 Jan 2013 00:25 #5220 by PhracturedBlue
Also, remember that you must always install the protocol modules after updating the dfu on the 7e. Even if the changes have nothing to do with protocol, these files must be uploaded together, since they refer to memory addresses in the dfu image that can move arbitrarily for each build.

More
20 Jan 2013 00:31 - 20 Jan 2013 00:32 #5221 by old4570
Replied by old4570 on topic Devo7e work

Xermalk wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: I would say to search around here and RCGroups for the 1.3 and 1.4 versions as the issue you are having is very common. Unfortunately, you need version 1.5 to program the 7e :(

Seems the trusty old XP partition came in handy. Its now up and running Deviation :woohoo: .

One thing i noticed while going through the menus was that the tx battery alarm has 5.5v as its lowest value. But as i am using 4 x rechargable 1.2v NiMh batteries ill never reach 5.5V. Can the minimum value for the alarm can be lowered?

Nimh [ for me ] usually charge to 1.45v or there about's and depending on the quality of the cell , may sag to 1.42v or 1.38v sort of range , some may stay higher for longer , again depending on those nasty variables .

So if you get say 1.4v [ fully charged ] that should see you to 5.6v and under load it should trigger the voltage alarm ..
Last edit: 20 Jan 2013 00:32 by old4570.

More
20 Jan 2013 04:19 #5227 by harmony96
Replied by harmony96 on topic Devo7e work

Xermalk wrote: Awesome, this just took the 7e to a new level, now we just need some hardware mods for extra switches and its a full blown albeit smaller hobby tx.

How about this?

Instead of using FMOD switch for the flight mode changes, we can use it for the following purpose.

When FMOD switch is set to 0, 6 buttons on the bottom are used for the original purpose.
However, FMOD switch is set to 1, the 6 buttons are used for the extra switched.

More
20 Jan 2013 07:54 #5230 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo7e RF Power Output

If it has a T212, then yes it should be able to do 100-150mW with Deviation.

Its good news that the 7e is using the same RF components and amplifier as the 100mW capable Devo8, however I suggest we test the 7e for over-modulation before we allow it to go up to 100-150mW.

I don’t suggest it will damage the TX, but if the power stage, its power supply and antenna matching are not designed for levels above 10dBm/10mW, we could generate serious noise (harmonics) all over the band and have signal integrity problems. A combination of over modulation, high power supply impedance and low battery voltage at these >10dBm levels will result in reduced range and an unreliable signal. (and then Deviation firmware gets blamed - sorry guys, some hard earned Amateur Radio RF experience coming through here)

I have seen some spectrum analyser screen captures from proteus in the How to forum, perhaps we can asked him to do a quick check?

More
20 Jan 2013 10:06 #5236 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Devo7e RF Power Output
Tried building the latest 7E, but seems the code is broken.

objs/devo7e/lcd.P:60: *** missing separator. Stop.

More
20 Jan 2013 10:19 #5237 by Fishfiend
Replied by Fishfiend on topic Devo7e work
No problems running it here, using simple menus to start with and I've got my mini cp up and running although the switch assignment screen and throttle and pitch curve are a bit messed up. But i think that's because we're using the devo 10 file system . Great work pb !

More
20 Jan 2013 10:46 - 20 Jan 2013 11:21 #5239 by Xermalk

Fishfiend wrote: No problems running it here, using simple menus to start with and I've got my mini cp up and running although the switch assignment screen and throttle and pitch curve are a bit messed up. But i think that's because we're using the devo 10 file system . Great work pb !

Just noticed that the FMOD switch is inverted. FMOD1 is up and FMOD0 is down on the switch.

Edit: actually how do you bind something using the devo 10/7E Gui? There doesn't seem to be any form of bind prompt like there is on the devo 8 simulator.
Tried both turning on the tx then my mini cp and Mini then Tx. And its not binding. Theres no menu option either for binding.

Edit2, found bind in the 10 GUI, but on the 7E the only option is Re-Init not Bind under Model Setup:<
Last edit: 20 Jan 2013 11:21 by Xermalk.

More
20 Jan 2013 12:58 #5242 by Fishfiend
Replied by Fishfiend on topic Devo7e work
Just highlight the re-init option and change it to bind, and away you go..

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds