Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready

More
25 Feb 2013 20:58 #7053 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready
For sure. The existing code only has 4 so I didn't try to add any. And the fact that they are configurable makes up for it a little. You can assign any of the devo12 switches to any of the toggle icons.

So we need to start a list... :)

- More toggle icons
- More channel bars

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2013 13:14 #7079 by Ustas69
Replied by Ustas69 on topic Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready
Screen 2 looks good. May be add bars for potentiometers.

More
26 Feb 2013 13:26 #7081 by Hexperience
The screens have always been configurable. You can change them on the devo 8 as well.

The pots would be assinged to a channel and the channel shows in the output bars but it might be nice to be able to show some of the aux channels in the big inside trim bars

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
27 Feb 2013 08:30 - 27 Feb 2013 09:17 #7128 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready
I will try to collect a list of wishes here:

Hexperience wrote: - More toggle icons
- More channel bars

- also for the main page:
    - more boxes for displaying telememtry and other values
    - an enhanced design page
- bigger mixer curves, maybe with the ability to drag the curve to change values
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 09:17 by rbe2012.

More
27 Feb 2013 11:37 - 27 Feb 2013 11:38 #7133 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready

As I've coded one more toggle icon (5 instead of 4) for Devo10/7e, I needed to introduce a new define (NUM_TOGGLES) in the target/devoN/target_defs.h, may be you can use the same for the Devo12?

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2013 11:38 by domcars0.

• rbe2012
More
27 Feb 2013 12:21 #7137 by rbe2012
We should think about the place for those #define directives.
Especially this one is not really target specific, but for the screen resolution. If we use it target specific, we have to double it for devo12 and emu_devo12 - not sure if there isn't a better way.
Same for devo8, devo6, emu_devo8 and devo10, devo7e.

Maybe new folders in target like common_320x240x16, common_480.. at least and a target_defs.h there which is included by the devoX/target_defs.h. Another way: place these include files in screen/320x... / screen/480x...

More
27 Feb 2013 13:22 #7139 by domcars0

rbe2012 wrote: We should think about the place for those #define directives.
Especially this one is not really target specific, but for the screen resolution. If we use it target specific, we have to double it for devo12 and emu_devo12 - not sure if there isn't a better way.
Same for devo8, devo6, emu_devo8 and devo10, devo7e.

Maybe new folders in target like common_320x240x16, common_480.. at least and a target_defs.h there which is included by the devoX/target_defs.h. Another way: place these include files in screen/320x... / screen/480x...

I though to that but as screens specs depend of TX and as I would not modify code structure just for one #define, I've put this one (NUM_TOGGLE) in the devoX/target_defs.h ...

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

• rbe2012
More
27 Feb 2013 21:05 #7147 by rbe2012

rbe2012 wrote:

- More channel bars

- also for the main page:
    - more boxes for displaying telememtry and other values
    - an enhanced design page
- bigger mixer curves, maybe with the ability to drag the curve to change values

- text fields with changeable text controlled like the toggel icons with configurable colors (background and text)

More
28 Feb 2013 11:49 #7161 by Hexperience

domcars0 wrote: I though to that but as screens specs depend of TX and as I would not modify code structure just for one #define, I've put this one (NUM_TOGGLE) in the devoX/target_defs.h ...

You are correct that the screen specs are dependent on the TX, but the number of toggles (as an option) is not. In fact as you point out, the 7e needs a different number of toggles than the 10, the 8 or the 12.

So your NUM_TOGGLE define should be in the common files, and be SET in the target make files (much the same way as the screen size is.)

• rbe2012
More
28 Feb 2013 12:10 #7162 by rbe2012
Maybe screen size is not that good example, because it is defined in the makefile (to choose the correct subdirectories in gui, pages, screen) and in gui/_gui.h.
But gui/_gui.h could be the right place.

Why should 7e and 10 need a different number of toggles? It's more a question of screen size / gui than inputs...

• rbe2012
More
28 Feb 2013 12:12 #7163 by rbe2012
Oops, I have just seen that Hexperience has already implemented more boxes - strike it off my list

More
28 Feb 2013 13:36 - 28 Feb 2013 13:38 #7165 by domcars0

rbe2012 wrote: Why should 7e and 10 need a different number of toggles? It's more a question of screen size / gui than inputs...

You're right rbe, 7e and 10 have the same number of toggle icons displayed.
(NUM_TOGGLES, does not mean number of switches but number of toggle icons to display). So NUM_TOGGLES depend of screen that depend on TX .. So we can say that NUM_TOGGLES depend on TX ;)

Last edit: 28 Feb 2013 13:38 by domcars0.

More
28 Feb 2013 17:04 #7166 by Hexperience
OR the NUM_TOGGLES can depend on the custom settings the user has put on the screen. They could for example, have a devo8 with a max number of 4 toggle icons. But they choose to use the 6 trims so the max they can display is 3 toggle icons. The code as it exists today has a max number of 4 toggle icons. (domcars has added one). Anyway my point is that it's not just a matter of which TX.

The other thing to consider is that a user may want 6 (or more) toggle icons on their 7e and not care about seeing trims or boxes...

So there could be a new set of toggle icons, say up to 12 or more.
Those 12 could be available in every TX. However, there would be a MAX_NUM_TOGGLES that could be defined for each TX, and then from that a DISPLAYED_NUM_TOGGLES.

More
28 Feb 2013 17:09 #7167 by Hexperience

rbe2012 wrote: Oops, I have just seen that Hexperience has already implemented more boxes - strike it off my list

I didn't add any boxes, I just made it so they would not get hidden by the model icon, or the channel bars. It will still hide the channel bars if you add the 4th box on the right or left.

I really like the idea of being able to configure the text in a box. Being able to do that might negate the need for more toggle icons. If for example I can see in box 1 "RUD D/R ON" or whatever I want, maybe "FLAPS DOWN" or "FLAPS 50%"

More
28 Feb 2013 20:00 #7171 by domcars0

Hexperience wrote: OR the NUM_TOGGLES can depend on the custom settings the user has put on the screen. They could for example, have a devo8 with a max number of 4 toggle icons. But they choose to use the 6 trims so the max they can display is 3 toggle icons. The code as it exists today has a max number of 4 toggle icons. (domcars has added one). Anyway my point is that it's not just a matter of which TX.

The other thing to consider is that a user may want 6 (or more) toggle icons on their 7e and not care about seeing trims or boxes...

So there could be a new set of toggle icons, say up to 12 or more.
Those 12 could be available in every TX. However, there would be a MAX_NUM_TOGGLES that could be defined for each TX, and then from that a DISPLAYED_NUM_TOGGLES.

#define VAR are preprocessor instructions , they can't be modify by anything, so it can't depend of user settings...
When I speak about NUM_TOGGLES this is the MAX number of toggles which can be displayed by the TX (and the code)...
Remember that, in the Main Page Config, user can choose to display nothing for ToggleN ... This is where user can setup the number of toggles user want to display.

More
28 Feb 2013 20:59 - 28 Feb 2013 21:04 #7172 by Hexperience
I wasn't talking about the type of variables or anything that code specific. I'm not much of a coder, but I was just thinking that if all the code and icon files are going to be changed to add icons then why not make a big change and have 12 or more. Then use the targets to manage how many a TX can display (max) and then inside each target page the user selects how many and where to display them.

If I'm not mistaken there are two parts to extending the number of icons. Firstly is the configuration page, right now there is only 4 allowed. Then there is the graphic of the icon. So the TX dictates how many are configurable, but the code also has to allow the user to select 1 of the graphics inside the icon BMP file. (I see there are 7 icons in the graphics file for the devo8, one of which is a blank).

Last edit: 28 Feb 2013 21:04 by Hexperience.

• rbe2012
More
28 Feb 2013 21:30 #7173 by rbe2012
The actual code allows up to 32 icons in the toggle.bmp. You can put your own at the end.
Allowing more than 4 toggle icons means that for the main page object more icons must be saved (1,8kByte each). We must have a look at the RAM used...
Also I think we need more main page design options - showing more icons or more bars, left or right, more boxes, bigger model icon, whatever you could dream of... We would have to make new layouts and modify the code so these designs can be shown.

A lot of work, if you ask me... we can only get through in little steps, but we should start with defining the goal for not making everything more than once...

More
28 Feb 2013 22:49 - 01 Mar 2013 11:12 #7174 by Hexperience
So far everything that has been talked about is pretty much just adding more of what we already have... (below are some fake screens done with mspaint)

More channel bars, IF ( icons < 5)...

More icons, IF ( model.icon == large && bars < 8 )...

More (and Custom) boxes...

So I don't think we need to completely re-think the GUI to add these features. I do of course support completely re-thinking the GUI for the sake of making it all better. However, that is way, way, way beyond my skills. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2013 11:12 by Hexperience.

More
08 Mar 2013 19:44 #7536 by obdat
Replied by obdat on topic Emulator for Devo12 (big screen) ready
is it possible to test this emu?

• rbe2012
More
08 Mar 2013 21:02 - 09 Mar 2013 07:28 #7537 by rbe2012
You can get my repo as mentioned above. If wanted I can place a *.exe here on monday.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 07:28 by rbe2012.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds