Documentation Discussion

More
09 Dec 2013 17:06 #16449 by WheresWaldo
Documentation Discussion was created by WheresWaldo
I have started working on sections of the documentation. My method includes only working on small sections at a time to facilitate discussion, editing and acceptance. The first sections I have to show you are the top level discussion of the Main menu and the top level discussion of the Transmitter config menu.

I have added a .pdf extracts to the downlaods of my cloned repository of the manual and will post links to the extracts here.

The first is pages 10-13 of the English only deviationTX manual for the devo10/devo7e.
Deviation10UserManual_p10-13.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2013 17:32 #16450 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Documentation Discussion
Great job. I assume chapter numbers to be placed later on.

Just two small things:
Please put the note from page 11 to the lines with 'Model menu' above.
Please add a note for Batt alarm on Devo7e: Min is 3.3V Standard alarm 4.1V (4 cells only ;) ).

Are you planning to add some additional info for sticks calibration in this chapter? Like press ENT and follow the instruction....

More
09 Dec 2013 23:45 - 10 Dec 2013 00:06 #16459 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Documentation Discussion
I think LibreOffice does the same thing that Word does, I can auto-generate a TOC from the headings.

Thanks for the 7e stuff, I am not up on the 7e since I don't have one.

I have forked PB's documentation, if you clone mine you can make the appropriate Devo7e changes and add make a pull request that I can aggregate and then send to PB.

Made corrections and posted on the document repo.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 00:06 by WheresWaldo.

More
10 Dec 2013 00:58 #16460 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Question about Channel monitor modifiers
I know that the Scale option will modify the display of the Channel output screen, are there any other options that effect the channel output and are visible on the output screen?

It appears the Stick input screen is always based on a -100 to +100 scale, is this correct?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
10 Dec 2013 07:47 - 10 Dec 2013 07:49 #16465 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Question about Channel monitor modifiers
For the input: with calibrating you make sure that the values are in the +/100%-range. So: yes, correct.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 07:49 by rbe2012.

More
11 Dec 2013 20:53 #16531 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Question about Channel monitor modifiers
I just reworked pages 4 to 8 but when I try to pull I get:
http authorization required
realm: Bitbucket.org HTTP
abort: authorization failed
[command returned code 255 Wed Dec 11 21:46:21 2013]
deviation-manual-bh%

WheresWaldo could you please check and add the attached file to your repo.

May be someone can help me with the settings for TortoiseHg. I do have an account on bitbucket and cloned his repo. Is there anywhere an Howto or Tutorial?
Attachments:

More
11 Dec 2013 21:41 - 11 Dec 2013 21:54 #16532 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Question about Channel monitor modifiers
You can't send directly to my repo. You send to yours and then ask for a pull request.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2013 21:54 by WheresWaldo.

More
12 Dec 2013 20:11 #16562 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Question about Channel monitor modifiers

WheresWaldo wrote: You can't send directly to my repo. You send to yours and then ask for a pull request.

.... :evil: send to my fork of your repo.... done :cheer:

Please check the changed pages regarding spelling.
I would like to continue on page 9 to 11 with removing the emu to the end of the manual with some reordering of the 'main menu' and 'navigating' chapter.

More
12 Dec 2013 21:56 - 12 Dec 2013 21:57 #16567 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic latest version 12-12-2013
Merged your pull request and made a few changes to grammar to clarify and make reading easier. Changed the margin spacing and adjusted images to fit better. Also forced keeping aspect ratio on all images up through page 12 so the images do not appear distorted.

Note that I changed every reference of Deviation to deviationTX as that is the proper name. Also any abbreviations were lengthened to the complete word. Abbreviations are great for online discussions and text messaging but wholly unnecessary in written documentation.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2013 21:57 by WheresWaldo.

More
13 Dec 2013 10:24 - 13 Dec 2013 10:51 #16572 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic latest version 13-12-2013
kreidler, I added the telemetry paragraphs and image this morning, resync your repo with mine so you have the latest file.

I am going to export a .pdf excerpt of the latest changed pages and link to it here so others can see how it is shaping up.

Deviation10UserManual-p13-16.pdf
Last edit: 13 Dec 2013 10:51 by WheresWaldo. Reason: Added excerpt URL

More
13 Dec 2013 14:13 #16578 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic latest version 13-12-2013
I like the work you are doing, and I appreciate you checking the changes into bitbucket as you go so I can see the current state. Have you already built the images for all the menus, or are you doing them as you go?

More
13 Dec 2013 17:27 #16583 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Images
I have most of the screens already but have found some errors in capturing them, so a few I have to go back and redo when I spot the error. It was easier to just sit in the emulator and take screenshot after screenshot then combine whichever ones needed it as I went along. I will try to keep up with the latest development builds so I make sure that the documentation is current.

Am scratching my head on how to combine Devo7/10 + Devo8/12. They are so different in how you access items that it would require a lot of explanatory notes and comments about this or that feature's availability in certain Devo versions. Probably easier to still keep them separate.

More
14 Dec 2013 09:32 #16616 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic One manual

WheresWaldo wrote: Am scratching my head on how to combine Devo7/10 + Devo8/12. They are so different in how you access items that it would require a lot of explanatory notes and comments about this or that feature's availability in certain Devo versions. Probably easier to still keep them separate.

I proposed some time ago just to add the corresponding screen to one manual. In PB's opinion this would not be so easy. Meanwhile I fully agree. If you count the notes for the 7e in the manual we are working on and then thinking about even more notes I would prefer to continue with two issues.

More
14 Dec 2013 14:29 - 14 Dec 2013 17:10 #16618 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic One manual
@kreidler

I am thinking about moving the 'Model setup' up before the 'Mixer' as most people would logically start there. What do you think about breaking out the protocol explanations to later in the documents as I believe most people buying a Devo will do so with a Walkera RC. If they change protocols they likely know what they are and it would streamline the setup process for them.

So I propose just mentioning the available protocols in this section then going into the lengthier descriptions in another section or appendix.

I also think that once the Devo7/10 Doc is done, it would be easy to reformat the 8/12 manual since most of the explanatory text would be just a cut and paste with mainly changes in navigation.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 17:10 by WheresWaldo. Reason: spelling

More
14 Dec 2013 17:41 #16622 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic One manual
I opened some time ago a ticket on rbe's repo requesting model setup to be the first entry in advanced GUI. He replied that in Standard GUI the Mixer is not existing (I was not aware of this) and so the Standard GUI will start with the 'Model Setup'. Nevertheless I do not understand why the Advanced GUI has to start with Mixer. All functions you set up with Mixer are the ones coming behind 'Model Setup' in Standard GUI. Main reason might be backwards compatibility / feeling to Origin Devo. May be PB can give some additional clarification.

WheresWaldo wrote: So I propose just mentioning the available protocols in this section then going into the lengthier descriptions in another section or appendix.

Some of the information is really useful for setting up / successful binding already. I would remove the optional protocols which needs an extra module installed to the appendix. Just like on the homepage of deviationtx.com. And in the appendix could be a link to the moduleinstallation file or even the complete file included.

Should we add photos of the Txs with explanation of the controls or can we presume that the user knows 'What is What'? Image available in better quality :) .
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2013 17:47 - 14 Dec 2013 17:52 #16623 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Documentation Discussion
No, the main reason is that you fill the model setup once, but fine tune the mixers quite often...

EDIT: However that way was better for the DEVO8, for which the gui was first implemented, because there you can load an other model easily from the main page, but in case of the DEVO 10 it is indeed more complicated...
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 17:52 by FDR.

More
14 Dec 2013 17:58 - 14 Dec 2013 18:00 #16624 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Documentation Discussion
Thanks FDR

I use the mixer only if I have a new model until it flies like hell :whistle: ....... Sooorry :) :)
If I am going once in the Mixer, this tab will be active in 'Model Menu' until I choose a different item from the 'Model Menu'. So, once selected you only need ENT until power down.

BTW: 'Mixer' is one of my defaults on 'Main screen config' for the the menus.

EDIT: Saw your edit: Yepp, Devo 10 change?
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 18:00 by kreidler.

More
14 Dec 2013 18:34 #16626 by FDR
I thought it was already changed in RBE's repo, wasn't it?

More
14 Dec 2013 18:38 - 14 Dec 2013 19:04 #16627 by FDR
BTW I don't really like the memorized menu positions of the DEVO 10.
When I enter the menu, I don't necessarily want to go to the same place I was before, especially if that was long time ago. It rather confuses me...

However I don't have a DEVO 10, so it's just an outsider's opinion...

EDIT: I would definitely make it optional...
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 19:04 by FDR.

More
14 Dec 2013 20:53 #16638 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic One manual

kreidler wrote: Nevertheless I do not understand why the Advanced GUI has to start with Mixer. All functions you set up with Mixer are the ones coming behind 'Model Setup' in Standard GUI. Main reason might be backwards compatibility / feeling to Origin Devo. May be PB can give some additional clarification.

I just changed this. FDR gave my original reasoning, but I agree it doesn't make much sense for the Devo10

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds