Documentation Discussion

More
19 Dec 2013 09:34 #16793 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Checking pages 17-21
Sorry for late reply. More busy than normal just before holidays.

I had a short look to the latest version (PB pull request). Looks fine. With the distance of some days without manual checking I do have some small corrections - mainly typos and some additional remarks ragarding 7e. These issues I would like to add during the next days. Meanwhile please continue with the other work. Reformatting in case of more space needed could be done afterwards.

I am just looking for my old DSC cable (or I have to borrow one) to do an old sytle master - student check. Normally student has to be off etc.

PB's rewritten intro for the Adavanced GUI sounds fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2013 12:49 #16882 by kreidler
Just did some work on the manual. Working with the integrated commenting feature seems to be the only way to mention all changes done.
Unfortunately I was not able to manage a DSC cable. so I will do this job later on.

I would like to add chapter number now. The use of links in the text is great but only available in the electronic version of the file. If you do have the printed version it would be much easier to follow the numbers. Please let me know if I shall add them on next opportunity.

At the moment Advanced GUI starts before the Standard GUI. Somewhere is mentioned that Advanced GUI should be the default. I am not sure because when I select a new model the type is always 'Heli' and the GUI is always 'Standard'. So it would be logical to swap both items.

More
21 Dec 2013 15:30 #16888 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Checking pages 17-21
I was under the assumption that Advanced GUI was the default mixer. If its not it probably should be as that appears to be the direction that PB wanted the firmware to go. But he is better at knowing what he wanted than I am :) (I could never read minds over the interwebs) Our shop will be busy until Xmas so I don't have very much time (just minutes here and there.) I will probably restart editing on Sunday evening (GMT-5), so if you sync today or tomorrow you will have the latest version of the document.

More
21 Dec 2013 16:19 #16893 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Checking pages 17-21
You can use 'compare document' to compare 2 versions of the manual to make it easier to see what has changed.

Please do not add chapter numbers. As long as you use references, we can easily reformat at the end to say 'page 5' or whatever. If you manually add chapter numbers we need to manage them by hand.

The Advanced GUI should be 1st in the manual. The default interface is 'Advanced' and we generally encourage its use.

More
21 Dec 2013 17:04 #16894 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: Please do not add chapter numbers. As long as you use references, we can easily reformat at the end to say 'page 5' or whatever. If you manually add chapter numbers we need to manage them by hand.

Hey PB, I am crazy but not like this :lol: . I only want to use the software to do the job like on attached example (please rename to open).
Additionally as option we could switch on the line numbering until release stage to make it more easier than 'page 5 lower part'.

I like 'Advanced' :) .
Attachments:

More
21 Dec 2013 17:13 #16896 by PhracturedBlue
Yes, what you've done there looks fine.
Now that I have my X9D, I'd like to start working on development for it, which means I want to get the current release done. On top of that, I'll have more free time over the next 2 weeks then I've had in a long time. So I'm going to actively try to get the documentation done over the next week or so. That means I'll probably take a copy of wherever you guys are, port it to the devo8/12 and call that good enough for the next release. If you have further improvements, we can always make future documentation releases.

More
21 Dec 2013 17:20 #16897 by kreidler
Tomorrow I will be out the whole day for indoor flying. But I have some time on Monday to go completely through the manual (if WheresWaldo do not mind). If you could wait until X-Mas that would be fine.

More
21 Dec 2013 17:21 #16898 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: I have my X9D, I'd like to start working on development for it

off topic: Taranis with deviation??

More
21 Dec 2013 21:04 #16902 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Checking pages 17-21

kreidler wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: I have my X9D, I'd like to start working on development for it

off topic: Taranis with deviation??

Yip, see:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-for-deviation#16828

More
21 Dec 2013 21:35 #16905 by WheresWaldo

kreidler wrote: Tomorrow I will be out the whole day for indoor flying. But I have some time on Monday to go completely through the manual (if WheresWaldo do not mind). If you could wait until X-Mas that would be fine.

I have no issue with that, our shop is open till 4pm Xmas eve and my family doesn't celebrate Xmas so for me it's just another day off.

More
23 Dec 2013 23:22 - 23 Dec 2013 23:25 #16949 by kreidler
I have not had the time that I needed...
Nevertheless I did some sorting, removing, rewriting, etc. Additionally I noticed that still some screens missed.

What is still to do:
- Check the Buddy-Box and FPV sections
- I do not fly heli. So please write some text for the chapter 8.2.5 cyclic and may be also for the helicopter part of the model setup.
- PB could you give some words for Datalog
- What about the FrSky1+2 in the protocol section -> delete for this manual?
- The rest seems to be ok without a cross check ;)

Updated my pull request on WheresWaldo repo.
https://bitbucket.org/bhammerton/deviation-manual-bh/pull-request/6/see-comments-in-the-file/diff

PB, please forgive me but I changed the version number on the first page :cheer: :cheer:
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2013 23:25 by kreidler.

More
23 Dec 2013 23:56 #16950 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote: PB, please forgive me but I changed the version number on the first page :cheer: :cheer:

Please don't.
It makes it too easy for someone to mistake unfinished documentation. When I'm ready I will update it apropriatly.

More
24 Dec 2013 00:08 #16952 by kreidler
Thanks, good idea. Will change to 3.0.0-hash what the Status is.

More
24 Dec 2013 00:25 #16954 by PhracturedBlue

kreidler wrote: I have not had the time that I needed...
Nevertheless I did some sorting, removing, rewriting, etc. Additionally I noticed that still some screens missed.

Paragraph 175: this is not true. Alternate templates can be loaded, to change the layout, but there is no layout editor available in the firmware. The templates can be created in the emulator or downloaded from the forums.
Paragraph 365: The prepositional phrase is too long. Split into 2 sentences.
Paragraph 880:
The datalog feature allows storing a history of input or output positions as well as telemetry info over a period of time. This can be used to examine and replay a flight as well as to visualize telemetry information at a later time. Logs are persistent and Deviation will continue writing tothe end of the previous log by default.

Note: There is currently no software provided to analyze the logs, and they cannot be visualized from within the transmitter. This is a feature for advanced users only.

* bytes left: indicates how many bytes can be written to the log before it is full
* Enable: input which enables logging.
* Reset: clear the current log.
* Rate: how often to write current info to the log file
* Select: Quickly set or reset which items are logged.
* Controls: Following 'Select' are a list of all controls which may be logged. They include timers, inputs, outputs, and virtual channels, and Telemetry. the more items logged the faster the log wil fill up.

Logging more information
By default, the log can only store 16kB of data. This can be increased by updateingthe datalog.bin file on the transmitter to be a larger size. Deviation cannot increase the size of this file, so its size indicates the maximum data that can be stored.

That is as far as I've gotten. I still need to read through the standard mixer stuff, but the manual is definitely looking good to me.

Thanks.

More
24 Dec 2013 09:42 - 24 Dec 2013 09:49 #16968 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: Paragraph 175: ...
Paragraph 365: ...
Paragraph 880: ...
That is as far as I've gotten. I still need to read through the standard mixer stuff, but the manual is definitely looking good to me.

175: Removed there and rewritten 980+ 'Configuring object position'
365: Thanks changed
880: Inserted. -> I assume www.logview.info or http://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/index.html is well known. Or do you need different stuff?
Standard GUI: I did only small updates to your orgin. Mainly added the pictures.

Added renaming virtual inputs (line 605+). A bit sleep is helpful for these things :)

Open points:
  1. I think this matter was already discussed: But please have a look at the model menu pictures starting line 375. In order to be consistent the item 'Trims' could be moved up to appear after 'Mixer' in Advance GUI.
  2. line 740+ some words for 'cyclic'.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 09:49 by kreidler.

More
24 Dec 2013 14:34 #16973 by PhracturedBlue
A couple small points:
200 the image I put in to show the different spinboxes. We need a comparable one showing what they look like when highlighted like this:

(Devo7e stuff) should move up to 980. It is always better to tell people ahead of time that what they are about to read doesn't apply to them. We could also move it up to 925. I'm not sure which is better.
The same goes for 920

Between 8.7.1 and 8.7.2 we need to describe the 'Load' button and get a picture of the Load screen

As for the datalog, I have a script in the source-code called datalog2csv.py (which could be compiled to an executable for Windows users to convert the data into a more generic format. If I put it in the downloads section, that is probably enough
Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2013 15:18 #16977 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Last changes
All well noted, understood and agreed. Regarding Devo7e I will have a complete look on any chapter.

I am now out for today. We will see if anybody else can do. Otherwise I will add these parts tomorrow morning (UTC+1).

I would like to add with some additional words to line 20:
Support for multiple protocols without any modifications to the transmitter:
Walkera Devo 6/7/8/10/12
Walkera WK2401/WK2601/WK2801
Nine Eagles J6 Pro (requires telemetry module)
DSM2/DSMX
Support for other protocols with very easy transmitter modifications
Flysky/Turnigy 9X
Hubsan-X4
Skyartec (thanks to the Skyartec folks for providing hardware for testing)

More
25 Dec 2013 10:55 #16995 by kreidler

PhracturedBlue wrote: Between 8.7.1 and 8.7.2 we need to describe the 'Load' button and get a picture of the Load screen

I do not know if I understood exactly what happens there. Please check.
All changes except for small formatting with comments.
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2013 13:17 - 25 Dec 2013 13:19 #17000 by WheresWaldo
Okay, I have not read over the entire document but what I did read just needed some grammatical changes. Will go over it more thoroughly this evening. Added image to Model Menu Standard, matched images so they are not all different dimensions or margins. Embedded some comment replies.

Stole the Cyclic1,2,3 text from ER9X manual, with slight rewording, but it is the most vague description I have ever seen. Since the manual states that Deviation is based on ER9X I made the assumption that the CYCL1,2,3 code there and the Cyclic1,2,3 code here are likely similar.

Cyclic1, Cyclic2, Cyclic3: The 3 outputs of the helicopter swash-plate mix. Once swash mixing is turned on these become active and hold the result of the swash mix. Generally Cyclic1 holds the fore/aft output and the other two do the rolling. On the 120X mode Cyclic1 is the odd one out.

That is it, and I couldn't find a better explanation on the net. The OpenTX documentation uses the exact same description!
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 13:19 by WheresWaldo.

More
25 Dec 2013 13:40 #17001 by kreidler
Thanks for correcting etc

I updated my repo but unfortunately I only see these XML lines which I do not get imported into LibreOffice. Can someone help?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<office:document xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0" xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0" xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0"

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds