Devo 10/7E small UI (updated 1st post)

More
29 Dec 2013 15:59 #17404 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
gui.c is generally not involved with placement so this wouldn't be the right place to do any sort of global configuration generally.
Most likely in pages.c or in config/display.c

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2013 18:32 - 29 Dec 2013 18:34 #17422 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
Thanks, I'll take a look then.

Today I flashed the tryout on my Devo 10 and to be honest it's very usable and feels just right.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 18:34 by sbstnp.

More
29 Dec 2013 20:58 #17433 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
that looks real good sbstnp B)

More
29 Dec 2013 22:07 #17436 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
Yep I must say that is really good too, I need that on mine asap!

Adelaide

More
30 Dec 2013 10:00 #17471 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
This is a really nice addition to deviation, I'm eager to try it on my 10 and 7E

Thanks for you effort.

More
02 Jan 2014 12:59 #17723 by sbstnp
Ok so after I went through most pages on the 128x64 UI I started work on a flexible configuration system. All code will be pushed to:

bitbucket.org/sbstnp/deviation-bw-flexible-ui

It's a clean fork.

I chose to introduce some new keywords to config.ini in order to mimic a theme somewhat, since fonts & line/header height go hand in hand. These keywords are:

line_height = (integer)
header_height = (integer)

No idea if this the best way. Initially I was going to auto figure out the metrics from the font definitions, but I guess storing them in config.ini is safer and easier at the same time.

Will have a version ready to be tested in the emulator in a couple of days, so stay tuned.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
02 Jan 2014 14:04 #17726 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
Looks good, I am now watching your fork.

More
04 Jan 2014 14:47 - 04 Jan 2014 14:48 #17919 by WheresWaldo
Sebastian, I built your emulator for Devo10 this morning, and I have a suggestion on the Telemetry screen. With the small font it is very hard to read the data quickly when each one is surrounded by a box. If you could eliminate the boxes when the data received is valid it would make it much more clear and cleaner also.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 14:48 by WheresWaldo.

More
04 Jan 2014 15:01 - 04 Jan 2014 15:56 #17921 by sbstnp
Ok, so I pushed everything I worked on so far to this repo:
bitbucket.org/sbstnp/deviation-bw-flexible-ui

It is EMULATOR QUALITY so don't flash it on your TX yet. I'm still not happy about some things and there are a few graphic glitches here and there. I will iron everything out next few days. (I'm running it on my Devo 10 but I'm suicidal :D)

I got rid of a few things in the process like section headers in tx configuration, revert button in channel limits/properties pages. I would get rid of numbered menu items and stretch selected item over the whole available display width, but I have no idea if people would like that (I certainly do).

The mixer page looks different now, once channel per row, source shown and no switches displayed. I like it better this way (more lines), but can go back if people request it. There are some changes in label.c, so text will not start at line zero when box_h > text_h (done so it looks better in some places -- not tested enough).

I need to work some on the telemetry page in order to have it optimally displayed when using small font (it works now but space is wasted when on small font). Also toying with the idea of a tab control which would make life easier in some places (don't know if 7E will accomodate an increase in size though).

Attached are 2 config.ini files, basically replacing one or the other will switch the UI from normal to small and othewise.

Edit: standard mixer is not yet not, I have that planned for tomorrow.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 15:56 by sbstnp.

More
04 Jan 2014 15:03 #17923 by sbstnp

WheresWaldo wrote: Sebastian, I built your emulator for Devo10 this morning, and I have a suggestion on the Telemetry screen. With the small font it is very hard to read the data quickly when each one is surrounded by a box. If you could eliminate the boxes when the data received is valid it would make it much more clear and cleaner also.

I certainly thought about that and I almost did this. TBH boxes have no place on such a low res screen, but let's wait on what PB has to say it's his call.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
04 Jan 2014 15:22 #17926 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)

sbstnp wrote: Attached are 2 config.ini files, basically replacing one or the other will switch the UI from normal to small and othewise.

thanks for your work on this, but the ini's aren't showing in your post attchments?

More
04 Jan 2014 15:57 #17928 by sbstnp

HappyHarry wrote:

sbstnp wrote: Attached are 2 config.ini files, basically replacing one or the other will switch the UI from normal to small and othewise.

thanks for your work on this, but the ini's aren't showing in your post attchments?

Yeah apparently .ini files cannot be attached and I was in a hury. Zipped up and edited original post, thanks for letting me know.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
04 Jan 2014 16:08 #17929 by WheresWaldo

sbstnp wrote: I certainly thought about that and I almost did this. TBH boxes have no place on such a low res screen, but let's wait on what PB has to say it's his call.

This reminds me of my old Visicalc days when everyone went hog wild putting borders around every cell in their spreadsheets. Boy those were the days.

Maybe it's more like the new powerpoint user that just because they can, they will use every slide transition in the application. Just because you can doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I too am hoping PB decides to eliminate the boxes on the telemetry pages. You can still put it in an inverse box if the data is not valid, but clear that extra stuff away when telemetry is correct.

More
04 Jan 2014 16:18 #17930 by sbstnp

WheresWaldo wrote: This reminds me of my old Visicalc days when everyone went hog wild putting borders around every cell in their spreadsheets. Boy those were the days.

Maybe it's more like the new powerpoint user that just because they can, they will use every slide transition in the application. Just because you can doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I too am hoping PB decides to eliminate the boxes on the telemetry pages. You can still put it in an inverse box if the data is not valid, but clear that extra stuff away when telemetry is correct.

Hehe :)

To be honest I don't really care because I usually fix my own variant exactly like I want it, but if this gets pulled into official then PB will decide how it will be like.

But, I have no problem maintaining a parallel fork with misc changes.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
05 Jan 2014 14:29 #17984 by sbstnp
Standard mixer interface is in as well, need testers now. Emulator only please.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
05 Jan 2014 16:11 #17990 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
I tried to build the emu on linux, but got:

target/common/emu/fltk.cpp:29:19: fatal error: FL/Fl.H:
file not found

What am I missing?

More
05 Jan 2014 16:13 #17992 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
do you have libfltk-dev installed?

More
05 Jan 2014 16:24 - 05 Jan 2014 16:27 #17993 by WheresWaldo
@sbstnp

I have been doing some playing around with imahes (not in the code) and mocked up a couple of screens just as an idea.

Since DeviationTX 4 seems to be developing some momentum it's probably time to relook at the actual "customer" experience. and rethink some of the pages as presented. Again this is just thinking out loud and not yet any type of recommendation.

Much cleaner and much more readable. I would right justify all the values, but like I said this was a mock-up and only spent a few minutes on it. One comical note, it seems the GPS must think I am underground with an altitude of -27000 meters.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 16:27 by WheresWaldo.

More
05 Jan 2014 16:39 #17994 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 10/7E small UI (work in progress)
I still don't like that font. It's too dense and hard to read.
BTW I don't like the regular font either, because that one is too large since that's decorated...

More
05 Jan 2014 16:44 - 05 Jan 2014 16:44 #17996 by WheresWaldo

FDR wrote: I still don't like that font. It's too dense and hard to read.
BTW I don't like the regular font either, because that one is too large since that's decorated...

FDR the best thing about this is that we are talking about "presentation"
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 16:44 by WheresWaldo.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds