Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM

More
27 Nov 2013 08:22 - 27 Nov 2013 08:23 #15915 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM

rbe2012 wrote:

rbe2012 wrote: Maybe I could try to integrate the switch mod into the default code. I will see how much space I can gain elsewhere.

No need for gaining space - fits without changes.
Maybe I have the wrong version: I tried the one from PB here
and also this one from kaworu .
Can anyone point me to the correct version or send me a patch?

I am travelling the next days. So, I do not have access to my Computer. I would like to send you a patch but I never worked with this tool before. So, for telemetry please do by yourself or wait until the weekend. For the switch mods you found the correct thread. There are two different mods. The first one is for 2pcs. 2 Position and the second one on page 3 is for one 3position switch (kaworu). If you could include both on conditional / optional basis most users would be satisfied.
On my last attempts yesterday I achieved a file size of 115000bytes without telemetry but with 3sw-mod and permanent timer. Telemetry.c and some others were still compiled but I do not know if they were linked / in use due to disabling in the code. It was too late already
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 08:23 by kreidler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2013 09:12 #15918 by IMback!
Maybe since the devo7e is out of space with the simple GUI we should maintain the last release, or 3.0 since not being able to configure the main page on the tx is not newbie friendly, as a newbie/simple build and drop the standard GUI for all new devo7e releases. Really this might be the only reasonable option aside from dropping the 7e compleatly.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
27 Nov 2013 11:57 #15922 by rbe2012
I don't want to freeze the Devo7e code - this prevents us from bug fixing (and there are some even in the last nightly) or will make this very hard.
I also don't want to waive the new gui because model files will harder to be exchanged and discussions might be difficult
I can comprehend (and support in a distinguished range) that users shall have a choice to enable or disable one functionality or another depending on their needs. But every switch I introduce in the code needs to be switched - and we can not provide more than one default version where it is determined which switches are set and which not. If a user needs others set, he has to build his own version (but in case of the switch mo this is not new).

More
27 Nov 2013 14:29 - 27 Nov 2013 14:29 #15924 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
rbe,
Note that if you are living on the edge, the compiler version makes a difference. I have a 'magic' compiler that can generate code several hundred bytes smaller than any other version. Sadly, I don't even know where I got it from. I've never been able to duplicate the behavior even with the same compiler version on another linux machine.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 14:29 by PhracturedBlue.

More
27 Nov 2013 14:45 #15927 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
Well tbh I see no need for the telemetry on the 7e, as most everyone uses the 7e as a small/parkflyer TX so telemetry isn't really needed imo, but I'd rather keep the simple mixer and loose the advanced, as the simple mixer is the standard, and it can be used for setting up 95% of most models needs. It also may be worth someone with coding skills looking at galee's code for the 7e as he managed a very nice setup within the size constraints, unfortunately his GUI is in Chinese, and I don't know if it would be as simple as looking through the code and changing the words to English :/

More
27 Nov 2013 15:25 - 27 Nov 2013 15:27 #15929 by IMback!

HappyHarry wrote: Well tbh I see no need for the telemetry on the 7e, as most everyone uses the 7e as a small/parkflyer TX so telemetry isn't really needed imo, but I'd rather keep the simple mixer and loose the advanced, as the simple mixer is the standard, and it can be used for setting up 95% of most models needs. It also may be worth someone with coding skills looking at galee's code for the 7e as he managed a very nice setup within the size constraints, unfortunately his GUI is in Chinese, and I don't know if it would be as simple as looking through the code and changing the words to English :/

Well with just die advanced mixer we can do 100% and the simple mixer is larger. Dosent realy matter to me either way as i allready recompile deviation for the 4 switch mod I will just have to make a custom version for myself.

EDIT: if worst comes to worst and we need to remove somthing we could have a poll witch features devo7e users use least often.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 15:27 by IMback!.

More
27 Nov 2013 16:05 #15930 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
If I allowed voting, Deviation would be a clone of the Walkera firmware, just supporting a bunch of protocols....And it would never have been developed because I have no interest in working on that :)

I personally don't find programming for the Devo7e to be fun anymore. It is tedious to figure out how to keep everything working, the module system is really brittle and breaks easily, and we're continually needing to de-feature things to stay within the memory limits.

More
27 Nov 2013 16:13 #15931 by victzh
@PhracturedBlue - that's understandable, but Devo7E seems to be quite popular because of one single factor - price. Also, it is a smaller TX, so for someone it is just more convenient to hold. And it's kind of cute ;-), if you can say so about a TX.

You're right that the system is brittle, and in my case it's not even the size of SLT module. Using your tricks I reduced its size by at least 100 bytes, but it nevertheless gives me an error. And the error appeared only in the latest beta (I did not check beta14, though). So it can not link it to some symbol external to the module.

• rbe2012
More
27 Nov 2013 19:25 #15938 by rbe2012
Victzh, if you send me your module I'll give it a try and might see where is the difference to linking it with beta-11 (guess this was the last working?).

More
27 Nov 2013 22:03 #15941 by victzh
I will update my repo later today with the module. It is forked from your 3.1. I will post a link here. Thanks for the offer!

More
28 Nov 2013 03:08 #15949 by victzh

More
28 Nov 2013 07:51 #15958 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM

victzh wrote: Here you go: bitbucket.org/rivig/deviation-3.1-slt

With prebuilt for devo7E ? :)

More
28 Nov 2013 08:47 #15960 by victzh
@SeByDocKy - no, there is a problem with latest builds - something's wrong with SLT, it does not fit.

More
28 Nov 2013 08:49 #15961 by victzh
@rbe2012 - I am attaching more convenient format, patch.
Attachments:

More
28 Nov 2013 12:34 #15963 by cmpang
Glad that the switch mod is back to our interest now as 7e is the most innovative Tx ever build by Walkera, nothing like that in the market as yet.. however it need the two more 3 position switch to put it comes to life.

should there by a need for translation in reference to Gale's version, I am more than happy to do that.. just send me the file..

• rbe2012
More
28 Nov 2013 14:02 - 28 Nov 2013 14:32 #15967 by rbe2012
victzh,

it compiles if you remove the "static" definition in send_bind_packet(). Because it is defined static and initialized it is put in the data section which is not available for the modules.
If you remove "static" it works.
static void send_bind_packet()
{
    wait_radio();

NRF24L01_SetPower(TXPOWER_100uW);
    uint8_t bind_addr[4] = {0x7E, 0xB8, 0x63, 0xA9};
    NRF24L01_WriteRegisterMulti(NRF24L01_10_TX_ADDR, bind_addr, 4);
}
Edit: static const should work too
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 14:32 by rbe2012.

More
28 Nov 2013 15:57 #15974 by HappyHarry

cmpang wrote: should there by a need for translation in reference to Gale's version, I am more than happy to do that.. just send me the file..

This is galee's modified fork of deviation >>

bitbucket.org/galee/galee-devo7e

but as I don't have coding skills I'm unsure if just changing the Chinese to English in the files will be enough?

More
28 Nov 2013 16:01 #15975 by HappyHarry

victzh wrote: @PhracturedBlue - that's understandable, but Devo7E seems to be quite popular because of one single factor - price. Also, it is a smaller TX, so for someone it is just more convenient to hold. And it's kind of cute ;-), if you can say so about a TX.

Yep it's the perfect second tx to have for pakflyer and micro models, it's a great little TX and when using galee's code it's every bit as capable as a devo10. We just need someone to look at his code and see what he changed to add the functionality and keep within the size constraints

More
28 Nov 2013 18:24 #15991 by victzh
@HappyHarry - using galee's code is problematic, it is very heavily repackaged Deviation, no direct correspondence.

What is so special about this code in contrast to Deviation that you'd want to bring in?

More
28 Nov 2013 18:27 #15992 by victzh
@rbe2012 - thanks a lot! It happened to me before, and then PhracturedBlue pointed to this bug (in V202), but I totally forgot. We should make a template protocol module and write in comment in huge letter - Do NOT make initialized non-const statics!

Now I am out of luck with ROM size - it overflows by 28 bytes ;-)

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds