Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM

More
29 Nov 2013 09:42 #16029 by victzh
Yea, I suspected that POT would not be so easy and you can't go without some extra MCU help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2013 10:21 - 29 Nov 2013 10:22 #16030 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
What do I hear ?

2-2way or 2-3way switches and being able to choose what goes in the build (no more telemetry, standard gui,...)

A dream come true :D

I exclusively use the 7E this time of the year for micros and indoor flying.

The devo10 is big for that type of use, having almost the same features of the 10 on the 7E is a big plus.

I have a friend that bought a 7E after seeing mine and hearing about 3way switch plus all the protocol support.

He's a guy who don't want to learn new kind of way to configure his TX, but he learned advanced GUI, just to be able to use the 7E in the long term (as PB said he maybe won't support it in the long run. I see you have changed your mind about this PB)
Last edit: 29 Nov 2013 10:22 by blackmoon.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
29 Nov 2013 10:46 #16031 by rbe2012
No need for a translation, I have understood how it is done.
I will have some time later or at the weekend to play with the code. Maybe I will add some switches to my Devo8 just for fun...

More
29 Nov 2013 13:13 #16034 by robca

rbe2012 wrote: No need for a translation, I have understood how it is done.
I will have some time later or at the weekend to play with the code. Maybe I will add some switches to my Devo8 just for fun...

:woohoo: What's your policy on accepting donations? ;)

More
29 Nov 2013 14:35 #16037 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
Awesome news rbe! I look forward to your findings :)

More
29 Nov 2013 15:52 #16043 by victzh
@PhracturedBlue - I made a pull request for NO_STANDARD_GUI as the env variable to make it build again, tested on Devo7E and Devo8 builds. I don't have Devo8, so I briefly tested the binary on my Devo7E. Can you take a look at this pull request?

More
29 Nov 2013 16:59 #16054 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
I reimplemented your changes as a switchi in target_defs.h instead of the Makefile.

Thanks.

More
29 Nov 2013 17:30 #16060 by victzh
Great!

More
29 Nov 2013 17:31 #16061 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
Very nice thank you guys.

More
30 Nov 2013 19:51 #16095 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
Thanks PB,
Fine to have a running 7e with switch mod and permanent timer. I am also one of these advanced plane users just setting up the 7e for a club mate.
BTW: Does your mircale compiler still gets a dfue for the 7e? My RW environment on Windows starts with 236 missing bytes already.

More
30 Nov 2013 20:09 #16096 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
The current trunk compiles fine for the Devo7e with no modifcations. I can almost fit both GUIs and the permanent timer (missed it by ~36 bytes...maybe a bit more since you can't tell until the 2nd pass is done)

More
30 Nov 2013 20:25 - 30 Nov 2013 20:26 #16097 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM
Awsome :woohoo:
I got a difference between Permanent Timer on/off of 1.06kB. As result this would mean that you still have app. 1kB before getting out of RAM when compiling with both GUI's and on my side are already 1.2kB missing!
Seems to be that we have to care more about these magic compilers :)
Last edit: 30 Nov 2013 20:26 by kreidler.

More
01 Dec 2013 07:02 #16104 by victzh
@PhracturedBlue, by browsing through the code for unrelated purpose I found a seemingly debugging routine in ADC handling code - ADC_ScanChannels. Apparently it can be commented out for non-debug build - it may save us some space for Devo7E build.

More
01 Dec 2013 14:22 #16119 by PhracturedBlue
There is (usually) no need to comment out unused functions. The linker automatically removes them. this can be seen by looking at the .map file:
 .text.ADC_ScanChannels
                0x0000000000000000       0x70 objs/devo7e/adc.o
This means the code was not actually placed in the image.
In fact I have to play some tricks on the 7e to keep code that is only used by the modules from being auto-removed, since the linker doesn't know about them.

More
03 Dec 2013 05:31 #16202 by robca

rbe2012 wrote: No need for a translation, I have understood how it is done.

Out of curiosity, any progress? My new 3-way switches are installed, ready to test any new code ;-)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
03 Dec 2013 06:32 #16214 by rbe2012
Devo8 is a little bit different. The mechanism galee implemented works for Deove8 too, but I detect some additional switches pressed although they are not. Maybe it's a different wiring, maybe something is still wrong.
I will not have too much time the next days.

More
14 Dec 2013 22:51 #16642 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo7E beta15 + Switch Mod will not fit in ROM

victzh wrote: Thanks, it finally builds for me without standard GUI. My SLT module is smaller than we thought - 2004 bytes, but it helped me to clean it up a bit. Makefile def works fine, I just added a couple of ifdefs in common code. I can check the same with NO_ADVANCED_GUI, if you'd like and make a pull request - it does not hurt to have the code compile for Devo7E, does it?

has this made it into the current code? if so is it used just like

$:make HAS_ADVANCED_GUI=0 TARGET=devo7e zip

is there a list of these switches, like for removing telemetry?

thanks

More
15 Dec 2013 05:44 #16648 by victzh
No, all the options have definitions in a target_def.h file for corresponding platform. And some of them probably not tested for a while - it's a combinatorial task. So you probably can not build Deviation without Advanced GUI, for instance.

More
25 Jul 2014 21:24 #24799 by mwm

victzh wrote: @PhracturedBlue - that's understandable, but Devo7E seems to be quite popular because of one single factor - price. Also, it is a smaller TX, so for someone it is just more convenient to hold. And it's kind of cute ;-), if you can say so about a TX.

If the form factor were that big a reason, the 6S - with the same form factor as the 7e but the guts of an 8s - would be more popular.

It comes with two extra 3-way switches, the same CPU as the more expensive Tx's so there's no memory issue, a color touch screen, and much better gimbals. It used to be at about the same price point as the 10, but it was (and still is) hard to find, and the 10 has gotten cheaper since then. I decided to sell my 7e and bought a 6s rather than mod the 7e so I could try the touch screen and get more controls than were possible then. I've never regretted it, even though I've got a 10 as well.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds