New deviation logo

More
22 Feb 2013 15:30 - 04 Mar 2013 15:07 #6819 by FDR
New deviation logo was created by FDR
In order to help differentiate "deviation" from Walkera's "devention" I made a small change in the logo... ;)

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2013 15:07 by FDR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 15:36 - 22 Feb 2013 15:37 #6820 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic New deviation logo
ia! ia! ia! ... ok I'm out of here :pinch:

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 15:37 by domcars0.

More
22 Feb 2013 15:40 #6821 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic New deviation logo
Was it a positive or negative feadback? :huh: :lol:

More
22 Feb 2013 15:44 - 22 Feb 2013 16:07 #6822 by domcars0
both!! :P

What about this one ? B) Cool is'nt it ?

Green is very is fashionable at the moment...

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 16:07 by domcars0.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
22 Feb 2013 16:24 #6824 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic New deviation logo
Cool! I print it and put it into my Devo8 but I don't get this thing out where the original logo is placed beyond (some kind of transparent acryl). Has anybody tried this? I tested to bend the black parts which seem to hold it but then I was not brave enough to use more force...
But when I see this (and imagine a non-red backlight, maybe white), I think about using my dremel.

More
22 Feb 2013 16:43 #6826 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New deviation logo
While Deviation is open source, I'd appreciate it if you don't make associations that haven't been accepted here using our logo.

Basically, whenever you sport a Deviation logo you are acting as an ambassador to our project. It is the same reason I didn't want suvsuv using 'devil' in his devo10 port.

So associating Deviation with recreational drugs (regardless if they are legal in your country) is not something I want to see. If you want to, don't call it 'Deviation'

Thanks,
PB

• rbe2012
More
22 Feb 2013 16:54 - 22 Feb 2013 16:56 #6830 by rbe2012
I am sorry, I did not regocnize the type of plant used in the logo - its coolness suddenly goes near zero...

But principally the use of the deViation logo from the forum or the one presented somewhere (was it from joshua?) or creating our own is ok for you as long as we respect the law and your rules? I would not have any problem to let you check it before using it...
I really would like to replace the devention logo on my tx to demonstrate the power of opensource (and a little bit to be obviously different).
So if yes: has somebody taken out the original and can tell me how to do?

EDIT: you told it - it's open source and so we can modify it. I think we were only joking a bit around and are serious enough not to affect the reputation of deViation, open source or you.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 16:56 by rbe2012.

More
22 Feb 2013 17:35 #6834 by PhracturedBlue
Strictly speaking, FDR has copyright on the logo, since it is his. I never asked him to open-source the logo or give me permission to it. That said, I don't think any of us will complain about your use or modification of it in general.

As I said above. When you show off Deviation to others, you are acting as an ambassador to our project whether you mean to or not. You can of course work for or against us, and I have no say in the matter, but I think we're all here to help others, and in doing so, I like to think you'll portray us in the most positive light.

You guys can create a thread in the 'Custom Skins' section for modified logos. I reserve the right to remove anything I think portrays the project in a negative light, but I think having such a thread might be helpful for others. I was thinking of 3d-printing a logo for my 12s case myself.

More
22 Feb 2013 17:37 #6836 by PhracturedBlue
While we are now way off-topic for this thread, the appearance of it does raise an issue. If the logo is too-close to Walkera's that it can be be easily mistaken for Walkera's own, it may indeed be a trademark issue. It may be the right thing to do to make a more distinct logo that could in no way be mistaken for Walkera's.

More
22 Feb 2013 19:34 #6837 by FDR
Yes, that's exactly Why I've changed it.
I think it is quite obvious now, that it's different...

I will make a proper one. I've already started it, but forgot the file at work, so I'll do it on monday...

More
22 Feb 2013 20:20 #6844 by domcars0
Another more sad :(

Attachments:

• rbe2012
More
23 Feb 2013 12:31 #6869 by rbe2012
Especially to FDR (as creator of the original deviation logo):
Using the same font / letter form as Walkera does could imply a (marketing) connection between deviation and devention which is surely not wanted. At least here in Germany we have heard of judicial struggles because those things could be too lookalike (esp. when used in the same market segment, even if one product is not commercial).
Shall we use another font and therefor a complete different logo?

More
23 Feb 2013 12:48 #6872 by domcars0
I really don't think Walkera has an interest in harming deViation because of his logo fonts, cause Walkera knows very well that to use deViation, you must purchase a Walkera Devo TX...
The connection between Devo and deViation is 'by nature'.

More
23 Feb 2013 13:01 #6874 by FDR
I agree with domcars0.
We do not compete with Walkera, but acually support them.

However some differentiation is proper, that's why I made the color change.
I've found the font they based on, so I can make a nice new large logo...

More
23 Feb 2013 14:51 - 23 Feb 2013 14:54 #6886 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic New deviation logo

FDR wrote: I agree with domcars0.
We do not compete with Walkera, but acually support them.

With the Logo as it is now, the Deviation "brand" is used at the mercy of Walkera, whether we "compete" with them or not, is commercial or not, etc, etc.

Deviation is used in the same class of goods (28), which means Walkera can take action by 1) demanding the that the Deviation logo is not used or must changed, and 2) take legal action to enforce their rights if there is non-compliance.

There is however a principle (it seems to be applied in most countries) which requires Walkera to act to protect their rights within a reasonable period after they first became aware of the infringement. The means they cannot allow/condone the Deviation Logo / Project, even in silence, and then later insist the Logo must be changed. This period would normally be within 12 months, however to claim that defence if/or when they change their minds, you’ll need lots of money and court time.

Devention™ Status (as at 18 Dec 2012)
  1. Walkera has registered Devention as trademark (picture/image/look) and it seems also as a word mark
  2. It is registered in the USA and possibly in other countries in Class 28 (Games etc)
  3. Colour was not claimed as core part of the logo
  4. It was first used in 2011 and is status (in the USA) is Published for Opposition 18 Dec 2012

Point 3 is interesting as it implies they "own" all the colours and changing Deviation's colours will not make any difference to the legal position.
Point 4 means they have priority, as Deviation was first used publicly only a year later in 2012.

Note/Disclaimer:
I have a bit of background on trademarks and brands as I have been handling all our company's worldwide trademark registrations and coordinated our defense when somebody stepped on our rights, however I am not a lawyer, this is my personal non-expert opinion, expressed for information only.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 14:54 by RandMental.

More
23 Feb 2013 15:14 - 23 Feb 2013 17:51 #6887 by domcars0
If Walkera take action against deViation about the logo, I think that deViation can change his logo .. what's a matter? Is deViation looking for customers? I don't think so...
(I had personnaly such an issue with one of my spamgourmet emails address and my bank, I've just changed the email, nothing else)

Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 17:51 by domcars0.

More
23 Feb 2013 15:27 #6890 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic New deviation logo

domcars0 wrote: If Walkera take action against deViation about the logo, I think that deViation can change his logo .. what's a matter? Is deViation looking for customers? I don't think so...
(I had personnaly such an issue with one of my spamgourmet emails address and my bank, I've just changed it, nothing else)

Domcars is of course 100% right, the question is why do we want the logo to resemble Devention's in the first place?

More
23 Feb 2013 15:40 #6891 by FDR

RandMental wrote:

domcars0 wrote: If Walkera take action against deViation about the logo, I think that deViation can change his logo .. what's a matter? Is deViation looking for customers? I don't think so...
(I had personnaly such an issue with one of my spamgourmet emails address and my bank, I've just changed it, nothing else)

Domcars is of course 100% right, the question is why do we want the logo to resemble Devention's in the first place?

...because it runs on devention transmitters? :lol:

I understand what you mean, and it's clear that they could take steps against, but that would be against their own interest...

More
23 Feb 2013 15:58 #6893 by PhracturedBlue
But it is myself who is at risk. I have always been somewhat uncomfortable that our logo is too similar. We now have evidence that people could confuse our site with that related to Walkera's own, and should anyone ever complain to Walkera instead of us about a failed deviation install, they could easily make a case that we are hurting their brand. So, I think this is the point at which we create a logo that could not in any way be moistaken for Walkera's (or at least try to).

More
23 Feb 2013 16:08 - 23 Feb 2013 16:14 #6895 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic New deviation logo
And I hate to say it, but you could also think about a name change... I know that's a hard pill to swallow, but deviation and devention are pretty close.

Of course, that's why I love it the way it is.. It's the perfect name for the project, but maybe it's just a little too perfect... (and I won't even bring up the standard mixer looking like walkera stock firmware.... :ohmy: )

PB9X ? ;)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:14 by Hexperience.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds