Devo 10 on Phoenix

More
22 Jul 2013 02:29 - 22 Jul 2013 02:30 #12412 by mwm
Devo 10 on Phoenix was created by mwm
I've created a config for the Devo 10 when using the Phoenix flight sim. It's not really aimed at making the sim as realistic as possible, but more at squeezing as much functionality out of the sim/Devo combo as possible. I decided it made a good illustration of exactly how flexible this software is.

You can find a detailed walkthrough of the settings, along with a description of what the controls do, on my blog .

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2013 02:30 by mwm. Reason: Add the .ini file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2013 17:37 #12435 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
Cool, thanks for that.

Adelaide

More
22 Sep 2013 19:33 #13990 by el2scorcho81
Replied by el2scorcho81 on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
cant use it on phoenix, throttle hold keep on active even i have try to make it off. any solution?

More
23 Sep 2013 14:58 #14019 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
The throttle hold is supposed to stay active unless you've got the throttle at zero and aren't in an advanced flight mode. If that's not the behavior you're seeing at the controller, then something got mangled somewhere.

Also, make sure that you've not set Phoenix to do it's own throttle hold. I'm not sure what that would do, but it's not the intent.

More
04 Oct 2013 06:52 #14230 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
Trying to use this on the latest nightly but the display is not current. What should it look like, under the [gui-128x64] section? All of that functionality has been updated and I was trying to use this .ini but since I don't have a reference it's hard to figure out what the screen should look like.

More
04 Oct 2013 19:56 #14243 by mwm
This file is for use on the 3.0.0 release. The nightly builds radically changed the GUI configuration stuff. In my - admittedly limited - experience with the new GUI code, moving old model configs to it always winds up with a screwy GUI.

I fully expect that the new GUI code will have some kind of migration facility when it's released, but as far as I know no such thing exists yet.

I'd check the new GUI thread(s?) for help if you want to use it now.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Oct 2013 12:10 #14264 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
I am a little bit surprised...
The changes to the gui were all made for the 320x240 and 480x272 color screens of Devo6, 8 and 12. They should not have any influence to the 128x96 b/w-screen.

I will look into the code to see what has changed concerning the ini-files. Maybe there has changed something like the section names to make clear which gui is used...

• rbe2012
More
05 Oct 2013 18:19 #14266 by rbe2012
Ok, I have missed something...

The main page is also configurable for Devo10, not for Devo7e (I guess a lack of space).
As far as I have seen: old model configs are given a new default main screen config. I have seen no difference to the old (default) main screen, but I might not remember it very good. I personally won't call it screwy...

I fully expect that the new GUI code will have some kind of migration facility when it's released, but as far as I know no such thing exists yet.

I believe we will not have a way to migrate the old guis completely. PB has denied it since it is of good use only for a limited time until most users have updated their deviation version. I see that there are problems with the different version actually, especially since nobody knows when the next release will be published.
I have a list of bugs and enhancements I can (theoretically) fix in my repo; I made a notice for some enhancement to this point.

More
05 Oct 2013 19:35 - 05 Oct 2013 19:39 #14268 by WheresWaldo

rbe2012 wrote: Ok, I have missed something...

The main page is also configurable for Devo10, not for Devo7e (I guess a lack of space).
As far as I have seen: old model configs are given a new default main screen config. I have seen no difference to the old (default) main screen, but I might not remember it very good. I personally won't call it screwy...

I believe we will not have a way to migrate the old guis completely. PB has denied it since it is of good use only for a limited time until most users have updated their deviation version. I see that there are problems with the different version actually, especially since nobody knows when the next release will be published.
I have a list of bugs and enhancements I can (theoretically) fix in my repo; I made a notice for some enhancement to this point.

Default main screen is not the issue here. Some modeln.ini files include a modified main screen, like the Phoenix one on this thread, unfortunately not all of the functionality in the 3.0.0 Gui seems to be present in the current nightlies. I am still learning the bitbucket website and wonder if I should just clone your whole repo or just the commits for your GUI fixes (I haven't quite figured out how to do just clone other peoples commits).

Some of the as yet undocumented 'improvements' to the GUI include the offset for toggle icons, had a heck of a time figuring out that toggles in toggle1 started at location 64. I can't seem to get bargraph to work. and the numbering schemes are fubared, you just can't start some at position 0 and others at position 1, it make no sense.

In the long run all I was trying to do was figure out what the Phoenix.ini screen looks like on the Devo10 and then try to duplicate it on the latest nightly. Since it lists the main screen as [gui-qvga] <- I assume this is for the Devo 8, and the current gui calls that [gui-128x96].

One more note, maybe I am misreading PB's ramblings on the GUI, but on the surface he seems to not really want to look at the GUI code or make any more attempts at expanding its functionality.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2013 19:39 by WheresWaldo.

More
05 Oct 2013 20:57 #14270 by mwm
Actually, I was hoping that - once the new GUI code has stabalized, maybe after release - someone would provide a script that read in the a .ini file with a 3.0.0 GUI config, and wrote them out updating the GUI parts for the new GUI code.

Not part of deviationTx, and it doesn't have to be 100%. Just a desktop tool to get a usable start on the new one.

• rbe2012
More
06 Oct 2013 09:04 - 06 Oct 2013 09:53 #14281 by rbe2012

WheresWaldo wrote: ...Since it lists the main screen as [gui-qvga] <- I assume this is for the Devo 8, and the current gui calls that [gui-128x96].

Just a short note:
[gui-qvga]: old settings until 3.0.0 (and some older nightlies)
[gui-128x98]: new settings for B/W-screens (Devo7e and Devo10)
[gui-320x240]: new settings for small color screens (Devo6/8 ), readable by Devo12
[gui-480x272]: new settings for large Devo12 color screen

As mwm wishes it is surely possible to write such a translation tool. I would like to have it in deviation so it is transparent to the user which config he loads - all items are recognized and can be used (and translated when writing back). But this will not work in all cases. There will always be elements which will not fit on smaller screens and whose coordinates / sizes can not be recalculated to have a meaningful result.
Such an enhancement to deviation will surely not fit in the Devo7e memory so an external tool could be a good solution.

Maybe you can do it yourself - change the section name and recalculate the element positions. With a list of the element's sizes you would be able to get a working result.
But why should you do that? It is only the user interface - the arrangement of gui elements on the screen. It is quite easy to create a complete new design if you have a picture showing how it should look like or even the [gui-*]-section of an ini-file. And you have a quite powerful template management where every model config can be used as a template - if you have created one you like, you can use it again and again (and change it for different needs and use this as template and so on).
Last edit: 06 Oct 2013 09:53 by FDR.

More
07 Oct 2013 04:34 #14292 by WheresWaldo

rbe2012 wrote: .... It is only the user interface - the arrangement of gui elements on the screen. It is quite easy to create a complete new design if you have a picture showing how it should look like or even the [gui-*]-section of an ini-file. And you have a quite powerful template management where every model config can be used as a template - if you have created one you like, you can use it again and again (and change it for different needs and use this as template and so on).

I guess this is what I am looking for, a picture of the intended main screen. I can work on it from there.

Also, I can't seem to figure out the bargraph GUI element. Is there documentation on it's implementation or will I need to look at the source code to figure out just how big it is and how to place it on the screen?

More
07 Oct 2013 04:52 #14293 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix

WheresWaldo wrote: I guess this is what I am looking for, a picture of the intended main screen. I can work on it from there.

You can see that if you try it in the appropriate emulator...

• rbe2012
More
07 Oct 2013 05:45 #14296 by rbe2012

WheresWaldo wrote: Also, I can't seem to figure out the bargraph GUI element. Is there documentation on it's implementation or will I need to look at the source code to figure out just how big it is and how to place it on the screen?

No, you will actually not find a documentation on this.
You can see the sizes in pages/320x240x16/main_page.c:
#define VTRIM_W      10
#define VTRIM_H     140
#define HTRIM_W     125
#define HTRIM_H      10
#define MODEL_ICO_W  96
#define MODEL_ICO_H  96
#define GRAPH_H      59
#define GRAPH_W      10
#define BOX_W       113
#define SMALLBOX_H   24
#define BIGBOX_H     40

More
07 Oct 2013 15:08 #14306 by WheresWaldo
Okay had a chance to look through the source code for the 128x98 screen size and it appears that Bargraph is not implemented. The GRAPH_H and GRAPH_W variables are not defined in any of the source files.

Since I am not a programmer, I can read code but cannot come up with the logic on my own, I wouldn't even know where to begin. It is a pity that not all of the elements exist in all the different screen code.

• rbe2012
More
08 Oct 2013 05:52 #14320 by rbe2012
If I have some time left I will look at this.

More
08 Oct 2013 06:57 #14323 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 10 on Phoenix
(Specialized) bargraphs are used for the trims iirc.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

• rbe2012
More
08 Oct 2013 07:41 #14328 by rbe2012
Yep, that's why I wonder if they are really not realized or if they are only not used (maybe due to space restrictions). I will look in Devo10-code to see if they are implemented in 128x96 and in Devo7e-code to see if they are skipped...

• rbe2012
More
08 Oct 2013 10:06 #14333 by rbe2012
You can see what I have done here to make the bargraphs working in Devo7e/10: https://bitbucket.org/rbe2012/deviation-rbe-bugfixing/issue/13/bargraph-for-128x64-not-implemented .

I have no clue why this was not implemented completely. Maybe anybody remembers it better than I do.

More
09 Oct 2013 04:41 #14369 by WheresWaldo
I can confirm that your commits appear to have fixed the issue with bargraphs on the Devo10.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds