More
21 Feb 2015 21:12 #28977 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Instructions for making model icons
OK... let me see...

I've downloaded GIMP 2.8
Installed the full installation
Dragged the image to the program
Clicked on File > Export As

Here there is no advanced tab or anything like that. If I click Export, then there is an Advanced Options tab to click on, but it is greyed out as if not available...

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2015 21:47 #28978 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Instructions for making model icons
click on "select file-type"
then select windows bmp
then click export

then you get some options

More
21 Feb 2015 23:25 #28984 by Epitaph
Here's a screenshot of the issue... this is with BMP chosen in the export option, and you only see the Advanced Options in the popup once you click on export, but as you can see, it's greyed out so you can't choose anything, and I've tried activating the other options to get that to open.

Here

More
21 Feb 2015 23:35 #28985 by Epitaph
ahh, quick question also... I read someone mention the images had to be 96x96, but this was for the 6S... is it the same for the 7E?

More
11 Mar 2015 02:36 #29553 by Epitaph
Just to let anyone else know in case they encounter this issue, after a lot of looking around, I found that I needed to also download a script and a palette package, then after go to IMAGE->MODE->DITHER RGB565. Then use the export option on the newly opened image, now allowing to make advanced adjustments, saving in RGB565, and it worked.

More
26 Apr 2015 22:33 - 26 Apr 2015 22:50 #31680 by cfl246tho
Replied by cfl246tho on topic Instructions for making model icons (two kinds)
It's important to note that there are two different kinds of icons used on these Devos, as the two branches under the "Model Icons" branch shows:
  • Color icons for DEVO 6, 8, 12
  • BW icons for DEVO 7E, 10
...and the requirements for each type are different. This thread so far seems to discuss almost exclusively the color icons. The BW icons for DEVO 7E, 10 need to be smaller and use only two "colors," black and white. Here's what the Devo 7E/10 manual says on the subject:

All available model icons (must be 52x36 pixels). Model icons must be saved as 16-bit BMP files in either RGB565 (non-transparent) or ARGB1555 (transparent) format.

The 52w x 36h size is different/smaller than mentioned most times in this thread, i.e. it is NOT 96x96. And while these images must also be 16-bit BMP files in one of the above mentioned formats, only two of the available ~67,000 colors get used. Every pixel is either white or black (I think the white ones could also be set as transparent). So you need to use a few image editing features (you figure out which, depending on which software you use, e.g. PhotoShop, GIMP, etc.) to help you get the image:

1. sized to dimensions with a 13:9 (52:36) aspect ratio (makes scaling easier in later steps)
  2. in grayscale ('desaturate' is your friend ;-) )
  3. scaled down to 52x36
  4. all the grey pixels changed to either white or black

It helps to tweak that final image a bit since it's so small and blocky, and the conversion to B&W may be less than ideal. That is, you may manually change some dots from one "color" to the other. It's hard to simulate any detail as this low resolution.
I wanted to see something here about the unique requirements for the small B&W icons.

P.S. I suggest you Google for tips on how to use your particular image editor to do the things mentioned above. It would be a lot to try to describe here. Plus it would repeat what others have described better on web sites devoted the subject. And I don't want to assume you use one program or another. I use GIMP, but PhotoShop is great to. In theory, these icons could be drawn in a vector program like InkScape, then exported as a BMP file. That again is beyond the scope of this post.

Quads: Syma X5, X11, X12; LishiToys L6052; NiHui U207, CG023; H7/SpaceTrek M9912; BayangToys X7; UDI U839/939; WLtoys V676; Cheerson CX205
Last edit: 26 Apr 2015 22:50 by cfl246tho. Reason: clarification, fixing typos

More
10 May 2015 17:48 #32362 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Instructions for making model icons (two kinds)
Ok guys I've downloaded the GIMP app and got in installed (not easy for someone like me who refuses to use torrents).

The issue is now that I dont understand how to draw an image from scratch. I setup my image at 52x36, grayscale and set transparency then I select the line tool and try to draw a line but just a single dot takes up 2/3 of the canvas. I looked around and found where I could change the type of line its drawing and I can get it to make a pre-drawn straight line that's skinny enough to work but then I cant change it's length and it can only be exactly horizontal or exactly vertical.

Do I have to start with a different image from something else (say MS Paint) or can I somehow draw the image from a blank canvas? Note other than playing around with Paint this is literally the first simple 2D drawing program I've ever had a need to try and use so at this I'm a total noob,

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
15 Jul 2015 23:38 #35497 by niteliter
Replied by niteliter on topic Instructions for making model icons

domcars0 wrote:

DarkWolf wrote: Photoshop is fine.

To be fine, a software has to be free ... deViation is fine, Gimp is fine, but Photo$hop is not :P

Oh LOOK another Cheapskate................
just like me.............

More
16 Jul 2015 00:45 #35501 by greenfly

Cereal_Killer wrote: Ok guys I've downloaded the GIMP app and got in installed (not easy for someone like me who refuses to use torrents).

The issue is now that I dont understand how to draw an image from scratch. I setup my image at 52x36, grayscale and set transparency then I select the line tool and try to draw a line but just a single dot takes up 2/3 of the canvas. I looked around and found where I could change the type of line its drawing and I can get it to make a pre-drawn straight line that's skinny enough to work but then I cant change it's length and it can only be exactly horizontal or exactly vertical.

Do I have to start with a different image from something else (say MS Paint) or can I somehow draw the image from a blank canvas? Note other than playing around with Paint this is literally the first simple 2D drawing program I've ever had a need to try and use so at this I'm a total noob,

I use MS Paint to get the size and icon down to the 52x36, but leave it as color. I then use GIMP to change the colored pixels black (with the Colors->Threshold function) and then export the icon to bmp with the correct export settings. I can't figure out how to size stuff in GIMP... so I just do it how I know. :blush:

More
06 Aug 2016 16:16 #52500 by nusbr
Need help for F12E

I use buildfs.exe for data transfer with DEVO F12E. It is possible to download and upload config files. :)
But i cant upload working Model Icons. Could anyone explaine me how it works? :(

Thank you

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds