New FrSkyX protocol

More
23 Sep 2016 20:14 #54184 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol

petsmith wrote: Added some logging into the code to dump the pkt[6]. <snip>

We really need a way to identify invalid packet and not to process them, so as not to corrupt the telemetry display. Do we know the checksum algorithm of the telemetry packet?

Nice work! Were you logging out the serial port or another method?

The last two bytes of the telemetry packet are not a checksum. They're the receiver RSSI and LQI values appended when APPEND_STATUS in PKTCTRL1 is set. Unfortunately, unlike D8, the D16 protocol does not enable the cc2500 CRC option, possibly due to a bug noted in the errata. (Might be able to improve D8 performance by implementing the workaround for that bug).

For your fix I recommend just skipping the sport parsing if the length test fails. It's unlikely the bytes would have valid data.

If we could fully figure out the forward/backward sequence number algorithm we could skip the sport processing on packets with sequence errors. Might be worth trying even with the current implementation to see if it improves extended telemetry performance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2016 21:31 #54188 by lamnesique
Replied by lamnesique on topic New FrSkyX protocol
hi all,
thanks petsmith, i just test your version 96d38b0 for devo8s and in 20minutes i don't have any dropout at all in my house so tomorow i'll test outside and test if i can have the same range of a d4rii. i use an xsr receiver...

for information with the test build 2704370 i still have dropout less but was still here...

More
24 Sep 2016 02:10 #54192 by petsmith
Replied by petsmith on topic New FrSkyX protocol

hexfet wrote: Were you logging out the serial port or another method?

Yeah, I used the serial port for logging. However, the extra time in performing the serial logging will also result in dropout. Thus, you've to be selective to choose when to log. Example, only log data when pkt[6] is larger than 100.

For your fix I recommend just skipping the sport parsing if the length test fails. It's unlikely the bytes would have valid data.

The reason I didn't skip the packet is that I believe most of the time only a few bits corrupt, the actual stream data my still be valid (besides the pkt[6] length byte). Anyway, I guess skipping the packet all together will probably be more safe. Feel free to apply any fix as you deem fit.

The last two bytes of the telemetry packet are not a checksum. They're the receiver RSSI and LQI values appended when APPEND_STATUS in PKTCTRL1 is set. Unfortunately, unlike D8, the D16 protocol does not enable the cc2500 CRC option, possibly due to a bug noted in the errata. (Might be able to improve D8 performance by implementing the workaround for that bug).

If we could fully figure out the forward/backward sequence number algorithm we could skip the sport processing on packets with sequence errors. Might be worth trying even with the current implementation to see if it improves extended telemetry performance.

Thanks for the info. If there are no CRC/checksum in the telemetry packet, how can the Frsky Transmitter detects corrupting data? It's unreliable to just rely on the sequence numbering. It's possible the sequence number in the packet is valid, only the actual sport data corrupt. Do we know how Frsky handles it?

More
24 Sep 2016 02:14 #54193 by petsmith

lamnesique wrote: hi all,
thanks petsmith, i just test your version 96d38b0 for devo8s and in 20minutes i don't have any dropout at all in my house so tomorow i'll test outside and test if i can have the same range of a d4rii. i use an xsr receiver...

for information with the test build 2704370 i still have dropout less but was still here...

Thanks for helping to test. I've just flown 5 batteries in the field without any dropouts. Although I only flew within 100m (FPV racing), it will be great if you can help to test longer range.

More
24 Sep 2016 13:00 #54212 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Great news guys, I have on X series receiver, but not yet flown with it with my u7e, good that the culprit seems to be found......

More
24 Sep 2016 17:02 #54221 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic New FrSkyX protocol
nice work guys 8)

More
24 Sep 2016 23:06 #54226 by lamnesique
i did an outdoor test this afternoon, and it was a very good success....as you can see i go for nearly 250m at around 3m altitude without any problems (i'm in 25mw fpv) my devo8s is set at 100mw

More
25 Sep 2016 01:34 #54229 by petsmith
@lamnesique, great news! Thanks for testing.

@hexfet, do you think we can we apply the fix to the nightly build? If so, please help to make a pull request. Below is the code snippet with your suggestions added to skip packets with invalid length byte. I've tested this version and it's working fine. Feel free to make any amendments. Thanks again for bringing the FrskyX to us.
        if ((len > 7) && (pkt[6] <= len -7)) {
            for (u8 i=0; i < pkt[6]; i++)
                frsky_parse_sport_stream(pkt[7+i]);
        }

More
25 Sep 2016 03:26 #54231 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Great work with the frSkyx drop out fix,is there still a drop out issue with the regular frSky protocol for the d series rx?

More
25 Sep 2016 04:21 - 25 Sep 2016 04:22 #54232 by hexfet
The frskyx_drop test build and branch are updated.
- Add petsmith's check for sport telemetry length validity
- Change freq synth calibration to latest DIY-Multiprotocol method, and revert state machine to match
- Add checksum validation for telemetry packet

Something bugged me about this comment - that guy's not always right :) Looked at the spi captures again and there is a checksum on the telemetry packet in the two bytes before the RSSI and LQI. Same algorithm used for the transmit packets.

The freq synth calibration change saves some ram bytes, but essentially works as before.

If this works well I'll make a pull request based on this branch.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 04:22 by hexfet.

More
25 Sep 2016 11:00 #54240 by lamnesique

hexfet wrote: The frskyx_drop test build and branch are updated.
- Add petsmith's check for sport telemetry length validity
- Change freq synth calibration to latest DIY-Multiprotocol method, and revert state machine to match
- Add checksum validation for telemetry packet

Something bugged me about this comment - that guy's not always right :) Looked at the spi captures again and there is a checksum on the telemetry packet in the two bytes before the RSSI and LQI. Same algorithm used for the transmit packets.

The freq synth calibration change saves some ram bytes, but essentially works as before.

If this works well I'll make a pull request based on this branch.

i just try the new drop test build and it don't work at all....the problem is that it don't bind at all....devo8s for me

More
25 Sep 2016 11:04 - 25 Sep 2016 11:15 #54241 by midelic
Replied by midelic on topic New FrSkyX protocol
pkt[6[ cannot take values more than 6.
While is good checking for pkt[6]max value the len value is 17 si pkt[6]<=(17-7) is a little too large.
You have already a check for frame length and checksum on the frame so len>7 check is also not too much useful.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 11:15 by midelic.

More
25 Sep 2016 12:11 #54243 by hexfet

midelic wrote: pkt[6[ cannot take values more than 6.

Agree that in the spi captures the telemetry packets are always the same length and pkt[6] is always 0, 3, or 6. Still, there doesn't seem to be anything in the protocol that requires that. Some future receiver could return larger packets if the x-series transmitter modules were written to handle it, though that seems unlikely.

It also seems possible the large values of pkt[6] could be because the upper bits are used as flags of some sort that were never seen in the spi captures...maybe?

The length check also protects against a buggy/malicious receiver sending incorrect pkt[6] value in telemetry with good crc.

More
25 Sep 2016 12:16 - 25 Sep 2016 12:17 #54244 by hexfet

lamnesique wrote: i just try the new drop test build and it don't work at all....the problem is that it don't bind at all....devo8s for me

Thanks for testing! Missed initializing the calibration. Decided to revert back to the current nightly and just add the telemetry fixes. I'll leave the other changes til I have equipment to test with.

The test build is updated to match the current nightly, plus the telemetry crc and length checks.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 12:17 by hexfet.

More
25 Sep 2016 12:21 - 25 Sep 2016 12:25 #54245 by midelic
You have already lengths check pkt[0] +3 other wise frame is discarded,SO the lenght is related with pkt[0].On top of hat you have check sum. Too many things must go wrong to go wrong
So the len is not the problem,,Erroneous pkt[6] may come from Sport data passing from RX ,AFAIK the sport RX is passed transparently when counting valid SPORT bytes.So erroneous pkt[6] may appear valid.
The pkt[6] cannot be more than 6 the number of SPORT bytes in the frame,otherwise the length is not pk[0]+3 the frame is longer which cannot be,The frame length is fixed in registry in PKTLEN.
Up to you it will still working like this anyway.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 12:25 by midelic.

More
25 Sep 2016 15:21 #54252 by lamnesique

hexfet wrote:

lamnesique wrote: i just try the new drop test build and it don't work at all....the problem is that it don't bind at all....devo8s for me

Thanks for testing! Missed initializing the calibration. Decided to revert back to the current nightly and just add the telemetry fixes. I'll leave the other changes til I have equipment to test with.

The test build is updated to match the current nightly, plus the telemetry crc and length checks.

hi, i just test the be982ef build and the bind is ok but telemetry don't work at all, with the 96d38b0 test the telemetry "work" i had rssi volt 1 and volta correct, volta sometimes actualise an hazardous value.

More
25 Sep 2016 18:40 - 25 Sep 2016 18:51 #54257 by petsmith
@hexfet, the reason we couldn't get any telemetry in the last build is 'cos you're including the 2 crc bytes in calculating the checksum.
      if (   pkt[1] == (fixed_id & 0xff)
        && pkt[2] == (fixed_id >> 8)
        && pkt[0] == len-3
        && crc(&pkt[3], len-5) == (pkt[len-4] << 8 | pkt[len-3])
       ) {

should be like to this, "len-5" needs to be changed to "len-7"
      if (   pkt[1] == (fixed_id & 0xff)
        && pkt[0] == len-3
        && crc(&pkt[3], len-7) == (pkt[len-4] << 8 | pkt[len-3])
       ) {

Making changes without the hardware to test is very difficult. :)

Another note, I agree with hexfet, the length check should still be there as the last safeguard. There will be some cases that will pass all the above check, including the newly added CRC check. How do I know? With previous versions that had dropout issues, some corrupted packets passed all initial checks. At that time, we didn't have the CRC check yet. Now, we've added CRC check. Some corrupted packets will still pass this check. I had observed some corrupted packets with len = 7. These corrupted short packets will pass the current CRC check easily as the CRC value for them are 0.
&& crc(&pkt[3], len-7) == (pkt[len-4] << 8 | pkt[len-3])

When len = 7, the current CRC function will always return 0 because we ask it to calculate the CRC for 0 byte of data. Now, for the pkt[7-4] and pkt [7-3] to be both 0 in the corrupted data is not difficult. In this case, it will pass all these checks and be treated as a valid telemetry packet.

I will suggest we added another check in the beginning, like the following.
      if ( len  >= PACKET_MIN_SIZE
        && pkt[1] == (fixed_id & 0xff)

The PACKET_MIN_SIZE should be the minimum valid packet size, which I expect it to be larger than 7.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 18:51 by petsmith.

More
25 Sep 2016 19:03 - 25 Sep 2016 19:29 #54258 by midelic
Cannot pass what you say because they are too many checks.
because the pkt[0]= len -3 and is checked.ALso is checked,the txid pkt[1],and pkt[2]
You said len=7 but cannot be for the same reason pkt[0] is sent by RX as first packet and is always 0x0E=len-3 .So all is checked included the length.If len=7 cannot pass because of pkt[0].
You cannot take bits and pieces from all around.
Imo all checks are in place as it should be, except the checksum that is not needed.The check sum is passed from Taranis openTX PXX protocol so it is native there not from Frsky X protocol,I think everything will work just fine even without checksum bytes or checks on them.

But I agree that pkt'6]>6 may be the reason for dropouts ,the counting sport valid bytes from RX may not be accurate.
There is no packet minimum size should be fixed always 0x0e+2 bytesRSSI/LQI+1=len.Read CC2500 data sheet about the structure of payload.
The reason of not having telemetry I think is that checksum .check.

See here the structure of telemetry frame.
			Telemetry frames(RF) SPORT info 
			15 bytes payload
			SPORT frame valid 6+3 bytes
			[00] PKLEN  0E 0E 0E 0E 
			[01] TXID1  DD DD DD DD 
			[02] TXID2  6D 6D 6D 6D 
			[03] CONST  02 02 02 02 
			[04] RS/RB  2C D0 2C CE	//D0;CE=2*RSSI;....2C = RX battery voltage(5V from Bec)
			[05] HD-SK  03 10 21 32	//TX/RX telemetry hand-shake bytes
			[06] NO.BT  00 00 06 03	//No.of valid SPORT frame bytes in the frame		
			[07] STRM1  00 00 7E 00 
			[08] STRM2  00 00 1A 00 
			[09] STRM3  00 00 10 00 
			[10] STRM4  03 03 03 03  
			[11] STRM5  F1 F1 F1 F1 
			[12] STRM6  D1 D1 D0 D0
			[13] CHKSUM1 --|2 CRC bytes sent by RX (calculated on RX side crc16/table)
			[14] CHKSUM2 --|
			+2	appended bytes automatically  RSSI and LQI/CRC bytes(len=0x0E+3);
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 19:29 by midelic.

More
25 Sep 2016 19:51 #54259 by petsmith

midelic wrote: Cannot pass what you say because they are too many checks.
because the pkt[0]= len -3 and is checked.ALso is checked,the txid pkt[1],and pkt[2]
You said len=7 but cannot be for the same reason pkt[0] is sent by RX as first packet and is always 0x0E=len-3 .So all is checked included the length.If len=7 cannot pass because of pkt[0].
You cannot take bits and pieces from all around.

I'm sorry to say, but you're wrong! I didn't make up len=7. It came up from the logs. Why is it so hard for you to believe others. If all these checks were as good as you said, I wouldn't be here trying to solve the dropout issue. I respect you as a developer, but I hope you can do the same for others. I didn't make up anything I said. They're all from my testing & logs.

Imo all checks are in place as it should be, except the checksum that is not needed.The check sum is passed from Taranis openTX PXX protocol so it is native there not from Frsky X protocol,I think everything will work just fine even without checksum bytes or checks on them.

Sorry to say, you're wrong again. From my testing with the checksum added, I haven't seen any corrupted packets passing through. If they were useless as you said, I should still have corrupted packets. I'm not familiar with Frsky protcol, so I won't argue with you where the checksum are originally from. However, from my logs, the checksum had blocked all the corrupted packets so far

There is no packet minimum size should be fixed always 0x0e+2

The reason I said packet minimum size was because I don't know the correct size of the packet or even if they're fixed or variable length. If they're fixed in size, then packet length check should be against whatever that size is.

More
25 Sep 2016 20:15 - 25 Sep 2016 20:32 #54261 by midelic
I'm not wrong the arithmetic is there.If passing maybe you mess up with something ,.....but should not pass.If passing you should check why is passing not add another check.The len MUST be 17,... not >7.
On multiprotocol we are using
if(pkt[1] == rx_tx_addr[3] && pkt[2] == rx_tx_addr[2] && len ==(pkt[0] + 3))

the len MUST be pkt[0]+3 ; this is not something to choose if I or you want it or not.Again read CC2500 data sheet.

And we test the FrskyX and did not see any dropouts.Maybe we find if we test longer time.
It is not my invention the packet length is variable configured by the
PKTCTRL0 register and take the value of the first byte after sync word and guess what,..... the value is pkt[0]=0x0E.
So the check pkt[0]= len -3 is not from me ,from my developing skills and me trying to show you wrong......... is from CC2500 setiings.

Guys do whatever you feel is good.I tried to help ..but I'm out now ,do whatever you want.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 20:32 by midelic.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds