New FrSkyX protocol

More
30 Jan 2017 15:04 #58555 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic New FrSkyX protocol

sfersystem wrote:
I don't know if a lot of people have problem like these with the XSR, can't find range test on youtube or in forums.
XSR is not a long range receiver but 150 meters is not enough i think. Maybe should i buy an X4R-SB that frsky says it's a full range receiver.

I really canĀ“t believe the performance of the XSR is that low. Even the XM is advertised with 600m and the XM+ with full range.
Anyone with a Taranis and this rx willing do a test for comparison?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 15:33 #58557 by midelic
Replied by midelic on topic New FrSkyX protocol
@hexfet
FrskyX LBT EU was just added to multiprotocol.

More
30 Jan 2017 19:18 #58570 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol

sfersystem wrote:

Fernandez wrote: @ SFERSYSTEM, can you confirm you use the same TX-RX combination with your test? As it seem between different FRSKY RX fine tune could be +/- 50 steps off, was it tuned?.

The test has been done with the same tx-rx combination at the same time. I flashed the new nightly, done the test, record pause, re flash the old nightly, record play and done the test.
Playing the fine freq seem not to change something to the range.

Edit : just try to find the best Freq-fine, and i can bind between -60 to 60 so at 0, this is the optimal value for me.

Edit 14:40 : Since i'm using frskyx protocol, i've always stange thing like in the video from last week (distance 100 to 150m)

In your case what is according you the last good nightly build, were you do not have not the black fields and signal loss, the better with your range true walls?

Then I may compare it?

On top I read mixed results on XSR:
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34964279&postcount=44

For me was first time flying XSR (rx) +latest build 20 january, my previously flying X4R and older deviation build very good range.

More
30 Jan 2017 20:25 - 30 Jan 2017 20:49 #58574 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol
The last really good nightly i'm using is ''deviation-devo10-v5.0.0-1d8c208''
no more dropout, no black field under 200m and no missing modules

thx
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 20:49 by sfersystem.

More
30 Jan 2017 21:19 - 30 Jan 2017 21:23 #58577 by Fernandez
Hmm checked under downloads, but can only see last 5 nightlies, the oldest one from 15 januari, so you are using a bit of older one....

@Middelic, thanks for great job !

Offtopic;
don't like the way nightlies are numbered everybody using them but it very unfriendly to remember the version, why not just a follow up nr etc 1-1000 at least would be easy communicate.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 21:23 by Fernandez.

More
31 Jan 2017 02:16 #58580 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol

midelic wrote: @hexfet
FrskyX LBT EU was just added to multiprotocol.

Thanks midelic! Will look into it.

More
31 Jan 2017 06:02 #58583 by sfersystem

Fernandez wrote: Hmm checked under downloads, but can only see last 5 nightlies, the oldest one from 15 januari, so you are using a bit of older one....

Yes i know, but if all is working, i don't need to change !
With my DEVO10 i fly my Gaui X5 with an AR7200B, one mini protos with a Orange R100 satellite, a XK-K110 and my quad with an XSR, i'm really Happy !

U can find the old build i tell u
Thx for help
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2017 13:17 #58697 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic New FrSkyX protocol
@ midelic:

Thank you for the information about FrskyX EU LBT!

I just flashed the latest nightly on my devo 12S with 4in1 multimod installed. I checked the "format" option in the upload tool just to get a clean flash. Everything went fine, stick calibration etc. is done, old model.ini transfered to the tx, "old" models bind and fly.

Now I am trying to enable FrskyX EU LBT in the model setup but I can't find it in the protocol selection.
Is this protocol available in the latest nightlies?

Thanks in advance,
Max

More
03 Feb 2017 23:04 - 03 Feb 2017 23:53 #58719 by Gzus11
Replied by Gzus11 on topic New FrSkyX protocol
i am still not getting any signs of a bind with the xm+ receiver with my devo7e.

tonight i have updated to the latest nightly, 3-2-17.

some of the things i have tried are a fixed id and no fixed id, i have tried upping the channels to 12 from 8 and fine tuning at -129, -60, 0, 60, 120

any one that has bound to the xm+ is there anything else i should be looking at?

my final thoughts are that as this rx was purchased in the uk it may be a eu lbt type would that currently be incompatible with the devo7e nightly protocol set? and should i look into a reflash of the rx?

thanks for your help and suggestions.

edit,
one of my local pilots said he will flash the xm+ for me, i will tru fcc and lbt and report back. i am hoping i dont have to set thr devo7e to 16 channels to bund as it only goes up to 12.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 23:53 by Gzus11.

More
04 Feb 2017 02:37 #58725 by hexfet
Please try the frskyx_eu test build . There is a new Format protocol option to choose between Standard and EU. If the results are good I'll make a pull request. I've tested that it still binds with the non-EU firmware, but haven't done flight testing. Branch frskyx_eu is in my repo.

As stated in the multiprotocol thread this implementation is compatible with the Frsky EU receiver firmware , but not necessarily compliant with ETSI 300 328. It does not listen-before-talk, which makes it "non-adaptive equipment" in the latest public version of the standard I could find. (Apparently a new version is coming.) Being non-adaptive doesn't necessarily make it non-compliant, but you'd need to study the standard to know for sure. No claim of compliance is made or implied.

More
04 Feb 2017 06:26 #58728 by M8A4X
Thanks hexfet!

Just uploaded it to the devo 12S, also used "format" option to get rid of any residue of the previous nightly version.
Now there is the option to choose between STD an EU.

On STD it binds to an X8R (FCC firmware) perfectly, everything works.

On EU it seems to bind to an other X8R (EU LBT firmware), as red and green LEDs are on with the red one going from solid to flashing after pressing bind on the devo (field for rx ID is blanc). After rebooting tx and rx the rx has only the red LED flashing (no connection). I have no control over an attached throttle servo, neither straight after bind nor after reboot of rx and tx.

I have tried a number of variants of the bind process (binding steps in different order, leave tx/rx powered on, fine tune etc.) and also flashed the previously FCC X8R to EU LBT and the other X8R vice versa, same outcome as written above.

Is there any "special step" to follow if I want to bind to an EU LBT rx?

Oh, and regarding the etsi conformity:
I don't think that a tx with modified hardware (and software, protocol wise) will ever get an authority approval, even if perfectly implemented...

But it would be sooo convenient ;)

More
04 Feb 2017 13:52 - 04 Feb 2017 14:23 #58739 by sfersystem

Omino wrote: I also get RSSI on channel 16, which is then displayed in my OSD (Betaflight 3.1 compatible).

How do you get the RSSI on the channel 16, have we to setup something in the DEVO ?
I would like to setup the rssi on my micro minimosd too.

I have already the vbat and rssi on my DEVO10 screen.

thank you
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 14:23 by sfersystem.

More
04 Feb 2017 14:25 - 04 Feb 2017 14:28 #58740 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic New FrSkyX protocol
If the receiver doesn't do it automatically Devo isn't capable (like how Taranis can use its telemetry return [rssi] values as inputs of a mixer)...

I believe the new XM series does rssi on Ch16 by default (real Rssi calculated on board, not a telemetry value being mixed to a channel in the transmitter), any other method of setting it to do so on an X4R / anything else only applies to Taranis users.

Note were not really missing out as the above mentioned method is horribly inefficient, the lag is noticeable in real time (not just a selling point noticed by checking logs)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 14:28 by Cereal_Killer.

More
04 Feb 2017 14:34 #58741 by sfersystem
So not possible with my XSR, i saw a taranis tutorial with the rssi affected to a channel, but here we can't.
Dommage !

I don't know why with recent build i have module missing message at start. the hardware.ini is edited with notepad and don't seem to be corrupted.

More
04 Feb 2017 15:15 #58742 by hexfet

M8A4X wrote: Just uploaded it to the devo 12S, also used "format" option to get rid of any residue of the previous nightly version.
Now there is the option to choose between STD an EU.

Thanks for testing! Reviewed and found an error I made porting the code. Please try the updated test build . If still doesn't work I'll have time next week to load the EU firmware and test.

Would "FCC" be a better, more recognizable name for the option than "STD"? Just "nonEU" is an awkward label.

More
04 Feb 2017 15:50 - 04 Feb 2017 15:51 #58744 by aMax
Stick to the Frsky expression and call it "FCC". This is what the transmitter label tells us.

Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 15:51 by aMax.

More
04 Feb 2017 15:57 - 04 Feb 2017 16:04 #58745 by aMax

sfersystem wrote:

Omino wrote: I also get RSSI on channel 16, which is then displayed in my OSD (Betaflight 3.1 compatible).

How do you get the RSSI on the channel 16, have we to setup something in the DEVO ?
I would like to setup the rssi on my micro minimosd too.

I have already the vbat and rssi on my DEVO10 screen.

thank you

This is not a data transfer channel. for transmitter and receiver. Simply select this channel in CF or BF and the FC can stream this with other data to the OSD..

Edit: This like we do on the F802 receiver in D8. The protocol has eight channels but the rssi is build on channel nine for the FC.

Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 16:04 by aMax.

More
04 Feb 2017 15:59 - 04 Feb 2017 16:01 #58746 by M8A4X
It works! :)

You are really fast, thank you very much!

Both EU and STD bind to the corresponding rx and as far as I can tell the connection is stable.

Regarding your STD or FCC question:
When people on the forums (english speaking) discuss about these two variants the standard Frsky protocol is often named FCC protocol, so this could be more clear to some users.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 16:01 by M8A4X.

More
04 Feb 2017 22:28 #58754 by hexfet
You're welcome. Test build is updated with the option STD changed to FCC, and a couple cleanup changes. Pull request made.

More
05 Feb 2017 18:40 #58786 by Fernandez
Did some more test to check latest nightly and range FRSKY X protocol, and the culprit seem to be the Irange XSR receivers not deviation, I got two of them and the range is very poor. (it is even less than an X4R range in range check mode, so this Rx is unflyable for me....) Possibly there is an issue with PA/LNA chip or antenna coupling, the range is as about same with 100uW or 150mW, even an cc2500 only would do better........

The range of Frsky X4R is fine, no issue and when switching from 100uW to 150mW range increased.
I need to dig a bit more into the issue, maybe there are others with experience.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds