New FrSkyX protocol

More
22 Feb 2017 21:54 #59486 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I have the message one time of ten start.

If you have always this message, take care to hardware.ini
mine look like that (i have the multi module board, not the 4 in 1 from BG)
;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
;extra-switches=
;
;button_types: trim-all, trim-(left|right)-(up|down|both)
;May occur more than once if necessary.
;extra-buttons=
;
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936=B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936=1
; enable-a7105=S1
; has_pa-a7105=1
enable-cc2500=S3
has_pa-cc2500=1
; enable-nrf24l01=S402
; has_pa-nrf24l01=1
enable-multimod=A13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 00:18 #59494 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Please try this test build to see if it makes any difference for the missing modules message. It is current with the nightlies as of the day it was built, but it does not contain the spi switch branch changes.

More
23 Feb 2017 22:36 #59539 by wes114xpl
Replied by wes114xpl on topic New FrSkyX protocol
yes you're right, I had forgotten to set it to A13 after flashing the nightlies.
Thank-you for your reply.

More
23 Feb 2017 23:12 #59542 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic New FrSkyX protocol

sfersystem wrote: After some tests today with a dry sunny day, i can confirm that with DEVO10 and xsr i can reach 400m without any problem.

I don't know why with last nightly's, i have sometimes missing modules messages at start.

Check this video!

XSR exposed antenna lenght problem?

More
24 Feb 2017 00:08 #59544 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic New FrSkyX protocol
. ----The longer the exposed wire is, the more gain-- lol.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
24 Feb 2017 00:31 - 24 Feb 2017 01:28 #59545 by aMax
If you really want to learn something about wave lenght and more on the 2.4 Gig band, look at these videos.

Although these are for dipoles it is may give you an idea how 2.4 Gig antennas work.

EDIT: Have your LQi tuned, look for the W-shape range of your numbers.
New explaination for Frsky starts here.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...ol-TX-Module/page539

Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 01:28 by aMax. Reason: Edit & typos

More
24 Feb 2017 15:20 #59564 by mike_j
Replied by mike_j on topic New FrSkyX protocol

ursus69 wrote: Check this video!
XSR exposed antenna lenght problem?

This has to be one of the most badly informed videos I've ever seen.

I don't know the specifications of the coax cable that FrSky use for the XSR antennas, but if you look at the actual science behind it rather than going on the opinion of two people who obviously know nothing about radio frequency antennas, the length of the exposed part of the XSR antennas looks to be about right.

The centre frequency of the 2.4GHz band, as used by FrSky radios is 2.445GHz. One wavelength (in a vacuum) is therefore 122.6145mm and a quarter wave is 30.6536mm.

Seeing as the antenna still has the insulator in place around the exposed section, you have to take the velocity factor of the insulator into account. I just measured the antenna on a new XSR that I have and it is 25.8mm long, implying a velocity factor of about 0.84. The only way to check if this is actually correct is to find out what the material used as the centre insulator is. The 0.84 factor would imply that it is probably polyethylene foam.

What does make me wonder is why the exposed part on my D4R-II's antennas is 33mm long. That does look wrong.

More
24 Feb 2017 15:39 #59566 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Is anyone using a Devo F12E with 4in1 module from banggood and has telemetey on either FrskyX or Frsky protocol running?

When I create a model and choose Frsky or FrskyX (FCC or EU) protocol I can access the Telemetry config in Model menu, but when entering the Telemetry monitor in Transmitter menu the F12E reboots.

Binding works without any problem and link quality is as far as I can tell perfect.

More
24 Feb 2017 16:25 #59568 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic New FrSkyX protocol
M8A4X,

I fixed your problem right now, can you test new build for DevoF12E-4MB?

More
24 Feb 2017 17:14 #59569 by M8A4X
Replied by M8A4X on topic New FrSkyX protocol
@Vlad: It works!

The speed you are improving the F12E build is absolutely fascinating!

More
25 Feb 2017 02:22 - 25 Feb 2017 02:28 #59592 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic New FrSkyX protocol
I hope this hasn't been asked 100 times.... (i searched for an answer for a few hours....)
I have the FrSky XM+ ( www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=171 )
Bound up to my Devo7e running a nightly from mid December.2016 just fine and controlling just fine, however, RSSI is communicated on channel 16

The FrSkyX protocol only seems to support 12 channels on my Devo 7e ...

Excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question:
Is there any way to get channels 1-11 and channel 16? I don't need more than 12 channels, but I do really want that RSSI channel, which happens to be all the way at the end :(
Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 02:28 by CesiumSalami.

More
25 Feb 2017 02:30 - 25 Feb 2017 02:32 #59593 by aMax
The receiver has no telemetry output to your transmitter. The output on channel 16 (aux12)
appears only within the data stream to the flight controller. So you can have it on an OSD.

Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 02:32 by aMax.

More
25 Feb 2017 02:33 #59594 by Omino
Replied by Omino on topic New FrSkyX protocol

CesiumSalami wrote: I hope this hasn't been asked 100 times.... (i searched for an answer for a few hours....)
I have the FrSky XM+ ( www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=171 )
Bound up to my Devo7e running a nightly from mid December.2016 just fine and controlling just fine, however, RSSI is communicated on channel 16

The FrSkyX protocol only seems to support 12 channels on my Devo 7e ...

Excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question:
Is there any way to get channels 1-11 and channel 16? I don't need more than 12 channels, but I do really want that RSSI channel, which happens to be all the way at the end :(

RSSI on channel 16 can be used to display the RSSI value on screen, if you have an OSD. It is quite easy with Betaflight. See this video for details.

I have done it myself with a Devo 10 + 4in1 mod and XM+... works great!

More
25 Feb 2017 03:34 - 25 Feb 2017 03:34 #59595 by CesiumSalami

Omino wrote: RSSI on channel 16 can be used to display the RSSI value on screen, if you have an OSD. It is quite easy with Betaflight. See this video for details./quote]

UGH UGH UGH UGH. I'm ashamed to admit that I found this video but for some reason interpreted it's meaning differently somehow.

Thanks, Omino and aMax for the feedback - this was immensely helpful. It's up on the OSD now!
Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 03:34 by CesiumSalami.

More
27 Feb 2017 15:11 #59684 by CesiumSalami
Thanks again for your help guys and all the work put into developing this protocol and software!

Took the FrSky XM+ out for a stroll around a normal loop that's about 175m with a giant brick building at about the 100m mark - under the right circumstances a speksat can have momentary glitches here (but it's usually ok). The RSSI readings as read through OSD dipped to 75-80%, which I was like, "Not bad!" Then I realized my tx output was at 3mw :)

Bumped back up to 100mw and ran the loop again, barely dropped below 95%. COOL! (I did at least try to calibrate the OSD RSSI ranges, fyi)

This is really the first time I've been able to use RSSI under real world circumstances (the only other quads I have with RSSI are tiny whoops!).

More
01 Mar 2017 21:01 #59752 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Someone have already made a range test to failsafe with this xm+ ?
Is it better than XSR or XR4-SB ?

More
02 Mar 2017 07:57 #59761 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic New FrSkyX protocol
Crap ! I have a micro brushless Swirlie build soon and it has the micro XM rx but no OSD :( And the swerlie is so small adding a OSD will be very difficult without killing the flight time/performance...Unless i can find one that weighs less then 2 grams and is very tiny..

More
02 Mar 2017 14:15 #59768 by CesiumSalami

magic_marty wrote: Crap ! I have a micro brushless Swirlie build soon and it has the micro XM rx but no OSD :( And the swerlie is so small adding a OSD will be very difficult without killing the flight time/performance...Unless i can find one that weighs less then 2 grams and is very tiny..

Do you need the OSD for RSSI? I'd be shocked if range was an issue on that build ...
The MinimOSD is tiny - but it's a bit of chore to setup and requires you to flash firmware onto it. It's 1.3g but with wires you'll push into the 2g territory.

But also if you're ok with just having this info on your TX you can get voltage and RSSI (warning that this is likely a clone of midelic's work and includes code that will cause this to malfunction if it's within about 1-2 feet of you) . You can update it to remove that issue .... but that would involve soldering directly to the chip on the board.

ORRR ... slightly bigger, perhaps doesn't have the close range issue , but it still likely a clone. Bot rx's have GIANT antenna that can be shortened ... easier to update the firmware ... (requires or USBASP or similar)

Note: none of these are FrSkyX.

More
02 Mar 2017 15:40 #59770 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New FrSkyX protocol
If look into small and tiny, this is the best project; fishpepper.de/projects/usky/
The rx has full telemetry and sbus.

offtopic;
I am waiting for the pepperf1sh to come available, it is a full brushless drone, Betaflight F3+Frsky telemetry+brushless esc dshot, motors frame props inc batteries and vtx camera total flying weight 30g. fishpepper.de/

More
02 Mar 2017 17:51 #59776 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic New FrSkyX protocol
From reading it appears the only way currently is to build your own FC and that is way over my head and old eyes to see such tiny components placing them on a board to solder...The Swerlie is just a tiny bit bigger and readily available from 65drones ..plus i want to fly outside so it uses 2s 300mah batts...If the pepperfish becomes available as a kit i will defiantly consider getting one and i will keep following its progress..:)

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds